Twinpot Brake upgrade on 78 Skunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys, been away for some time, very little time or money for upgrades
    & such to my 79 GS750E. Recently I noticed that my calipers are seeping fluid,
    and since I rebuilt them 6 years ago I have no intention of doing it again.

So now that I really have to fix the brakes...why not upgrade? Also, could anyone
    point me in the right direction as to what parts I'll need to do this conversion?

Comment

Read this thread, please. Tons of good info.

Comment

You also need some Calipers off of a late 80 Ninja or 99-2005 Concourse & some Honda CBR F3 Rotors.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Hi Salty,

I would like to purchase a set of your brackets. I tried to PM you, but it said your account is full.

Just let me know how you would like payment. Also, does your kit come with the template to drill out the rotors? I have the F3 rotors.

Will I need a new dust cover too?

Regards,
          Kelly

Comment

Have emailed you back Kelly - thanks!
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Saltymonk... Do you have any measurements that can be used to insure the rotor is centered correctly?

Comment

Use 6mm Shoulder bolts to bolt the spacer to the rotor when you drill it. The stock Suzuki are also Shoulder bolts @8mm so the rotor can't be off centre if you've drilled the holes correctly.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Sorry, I worded the question incorrectly. I meant the position of the rotor with respect to the position of the pads on the caliper. WIth my pads opened up as much as possible, it looks like the rotor is right in the middle....

Comment

By any chance has anyone found any other calipers, other than those listed elsewhere, that would work? I'm planning on doing this upgrade on my '83 1100 but would like to make sure there isn't a better caliper out there that will fit before I buy anything.
                    Thanks,
                    Willie
                    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Willie - I have done a lot of research on this. You are basically limited to 2 piston sliding calipers as 4 piston & 6 piston opposed units are generally too wide for our forks & hubs. I have seen 4 piston fitted but the clearances were very tight & they had to do things like run the bolt in from the inside to create extra clearance. I don't know for sure but they may also have had to do away with the speedo drive in order to space the rotors out far enough. The finished article looked pretty ugly.

There is a newer model caliper on the newer ninja's, V strom's etc. It has 2 pistons the same size (for cost reasons I believe). It's not well known for being a great caliper - these older ones are better once rebuilt. Also it's mounting holes are not so convenient for our purposes, the attachment bracket would be a lot more complex & would require use of 4 bolts not 3.

There are some twin piston Brembo's etc about - you'll pay a premium for them though & they are hard to find (especially for both sides...)

Dan
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Dan,
                        Thanks for the quick and informative response.
                        Willie
                        Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                        '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                        '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                        '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

I would be interested in adding some stopping power to my skunk GS1000G -81. Are you willing to deliver them over here to Finland?
                          Have you delivered any of these kits to the Europe or know anyone who has done this upgrade over here and Finland in particular? I wonder what the inspector would say about the change.

My apologies if this has been discussed earlier I have read big part of the thread but not all.

Comment

Yes and yes but not Finland specifically. I don't know a lot about your inspection so can't really comment - they have been used successfully in the UK and France.

I expect if it's performance based there wouldn't be a problem.
                            Last edited by salty_monk; 02-17-2015, 12:56 AM.
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

We need to have all bigger changes to be inspected for them to be road leagal. Even as small change as a change to steel brake hoses. I am not sure what they look for in the inspections. Probably the performance and strong enough structure. They look like to be well made. I guess I can try it out what they think. I sent you private message.
                              Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2015, 01:04 AM.

Comment

One back to you!
                                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                                X