Twinpot Brake upgrade on 78 Skunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sparki View Post
    would you be able to ship to the UK? I need something more on the front of my katana (81) as the OE kit is a little lacking

what is included in what you're selling?.... mounting plates and single spacer for the bottom mount?...

from what i'm reading i understand i'll need some 900rr discs to drill out the 6mm to 8mm and find some mid-late 90's kawasaki calipers that slide on the rear?...

cheers
    steve
    Go back to the start and check the link

You need

1. 2 large Suzuki brake discs
    2. 2 Kawasaki 600 calipers, circa 1990
    3. Mounting plates - which is what Dan has made up

Plus, the appropriate hoses and fasteners.

If your bike only has one disc brake, you'll need twin brake forks.

I spent about $150 US for the above, plus time cleaning up and painting the discs. Everything bolts right up

The 900RR calipers are a further upgrade beyond the above
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

As Big T states above. With CBR Rotors / Disks you need a set of hub spacers which I also have.

International shipping to Canada, UK & most other foreign countries with tracking is about $35 - 40.

If there is a lot of interest I will start a new thread about a bulk buy this time...

With new baby on the way this or next week... (it's overdue) I won't be going to our head office for some time to be able to pick them up so it would be a winter upgrade.

Cheers,

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

check this out!

I still have to assemble the other side. I am so excited to see how this setup works. Thanks for the great brackets salty monk

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukfan78 View Post
          I still have to assemble the other side. I am so excited to see how this setup works. Thanks for the great brackets salty monk
          You will soon be spoiled.

I can't stand the brakes on my 79 anymore
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Very nice... what rotor is that? Looks aftermarket??

Be good to know how that looped from one caliper setup works (dual banjo on the caliper). I have the dual banjo on the master but have been considering swapping to that.

As Big T says - you get spoilt! I now ride my friends 83 750 which is lighter and has the slightly better Zuki calipers on it & the brakes really P me off....

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

rotors

These are new ebc rotors. They were pricey but Im sorta going all out for this final GS1000 rebuild. I convinced my wife that after this build I will wait a long time before doing another or buying another bike. Hopfully not too long.

Comment

What type of retainers are you using? I was thinking about using the EBCs on my 1100ES with the STOCK calipers, since they are a direct swap for the 1150, and the 1150 rotors will swap over to the 1100 wheels if you change the retaining bolts (i think the 1150 have a shoulder on them, or recess... I cant remember what it was blowerbike was telling me you'd have to do to get them to work)

Comment

I doubt it will work with stock calipers... if it did then they wouldn't work with the Kawasaki ones & the brackets
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

They are ebcs, for the honda 900rr. With the kawaki calipers and saltys brackets.

Comment

I tried to fix my wooden feeling braking with a GSXR 750 master cylinder. Now it's a powerful, wooden feeling.

What is the actual CAUSE for the poor braking performance? Is it the rotors, the calipers, or the master cylinder?

I have an '83 ESD and I've put a blocking plate over the anti-dive and have custom Goodridge kevlar lines (and the GSXR master cylinder).

If the culprit is the calipers (I've rebuilt them to no effect), is there another caliper that will go on without modifying the rotors? Or is it BOTH the calipers + the rotors that is the problem....(with this thread populated by F3/CBR900 conversions)

Comment

Originally posted by Henway View Post
                        I tried to fix my wooden feeling braking with a GSXR 750 master cylinder. Now it's a powerful, wooden feeling.

What is the actual CAUSE for the poor braking performance? Is it the rotors, the calipers, or the master cylinder?

I have an '83 ESD and I've put a blocking plate over the anti-dive and have custom Goodridge kevlar lines (and the GSXR master cylinder).

If the culprit is the calipers (I've rebuilt them to no effect), is there another caliper that will go on without modifying the rotors? Or is it BOTH the calipers + the rotors that is the problem....(with this thread populated by F3/CBR900 conversions)
                        The biggest problem is the brake caliper/brake pad which yields swept area. More swept area = more braking power

Just check the size of the pads on the GS vs the Ninja calipers

I'm using the stock brake rotors, stock master cylinder, the Ninja calipers with whatever old brake pads came in them (soon to be upgraded). and the rubber hoses that came with the calipers.

My braking power has at least doubled.

I went for years with the single front caliper with steel lines.

I'll never go back
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

As well as the swept area more pistons to push it also helps - That helps hugely with feel too.

There are no straight bolt on calipers that work with the stock rotor that I know of... Some period racing ones around from back in the day but big money for them.

Their is nothing wrong with the rotor. The floating Honda rotors offer less fade, better performance in the wet & save some weight, that's it.

Dan
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Yes, the upgrade is like night and day. Just wish the rotors that I got from the slimebag (who sometimes posts her in the for sale section (posseaux, I think is his name) werent warped.

Comment

So I need the following brakes:
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

But THESE will NOT work?

Shoot, what DISQUALIFIES calipers if I'm making a mounting plate anyway? Obviously no radial calipers.

Then, I will need:

or

My spare pair of 1995+ RS125 floating rotors has the same large hole and 6 holes, but the centers don't line up exactly. It wouldn't be too difficult to have a machinist properly enlarge, or even make completely new holes, but without using a drill press it definitely won't work to just enlarge the holes. The offset from the wheel is far smaller than with the GS1100 rotor.

Does the rotor need to be spaced out from the wheel? Also, is there a specific thickness for the aluminum (I could also do Ti) for the caliper mounts? Are there any other requirements? I have an extra front tire/wheel I can experiment on.
                              Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2009, 03:15 PM.

Comment

For this setup, those calipers arent the right ones, the rotors look right tho. If the calipers say "tokico" on the top, they are the wrong kind.

Comment

Working...
                                X