No announcement yet.

Twinpot Brake upgrade on 78 Skunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK I've been reading through this and I only have 1 spot of confusion as I've seen it stated both ways and with assorted years..

Is it the CBR F3 or the 98 CBR900RR that is a direct bolt on by just drilling out the holes to 8mm?
    I guess the real question is are we looking for a 74mm or 78mm PCD?

Comment

78mm pcd is correct.

Comment

Yes, with the 74mm you have to re-drill the holes at 78mm PCD & 8mm in between the originals. I have some jigs for that if people want them...

The 98 CBR900RR Rotor is definitely a 310mm dia one so wouldn't work with my brackets... I think the earlier 900RR rotor from 95/96 might be the 296mm same as the F3's.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

This question comes up a fair bit... if you fit the CBR rotors with a spacer behind you must chop 3-5mm off the top of the speedo drive dust cover.

This is the cover:

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Got a couple more sets of brackets, also have CBR rotor hub spacers. No bolts.

Should have a full set of calipers off my skunk coming up soon too - rebuilt. All you'd need is rotors. Can also let you have a kawasaki master with no lever too... Levers are $10 on Ebay.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Just a bump - I know there were a couple of people after these brackets but I can't remember who they are...!

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Could you sell me the entire setup?
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Not really as I'd have to source the calipers, rotors etc myself from Ebay or whatever...
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I hope one of you guys got those CBR F4 rotors I just forgot to bid on.. Auction ended at $7.50!!! Dirt cheap.

Has anyone looked at using Ducati 320mm rotors? center is only slightly bigger at 64mm. A small lip on the spacer would take care of that..
                    Bolt circle is 6 bolt 80mm PCD so you would have to re drill them like the CBR F3 rotors..

Just a thought.. Silly things are a bolt on for my XS-400
                    I may try it if I can get a pair for the right price..
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-02-2009, 06:49 PM.

Comment

You could use those rotors with a different caliper bracket. It would need to be a 4 bolt bracket not a 3 bolt as the diameter of that rotor is too large to use the top bolt.

What's the offset? You'll likely still need some kind of hub spacer. Putting a lip on the hub spacer increases costs a lot. As the bolts are shoulder bolts it doesn't appear to be that critical anyway (the F3 centre dia is 64mm too).

One other turn-off is anything with "ducati" in the title seems to sell for astronomical sums of money....

I don't think F4 rotors will fit.

Dan
                      Last edited by salty_monk; 12-02-2009, 08:44 PM.
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Those EBC's are the MD1003 Series. There are 3 versions available from EBC- the MD1003 X, the MD1003 XC, and the MC1003 CC. All fit the F3 & a bunch of other Honda bikes, including the VTR100F Super Hawk 98-05.
                        Now that you've gone & upgraded the rotors to these, what parts do I need to upgrade the original installation kit I bought from you a while back? Fortunately I got distracted from that project by some vintage motocross racing and never got the brake install done. Might as well do it right the first time...
                        Any recommendations for the best prices on the EBC rotors? I know retail is $225 each plus shipping for retail. Hopefully I can do better than that.
                        By the way, I've just posted a picture of my rides in my photo album. Check them out.

Comment

Just some rotor spacers to go behind the rotor. Unfortunately I'm now pretty much fresh out of everything...
                          I will try to get some more stuff going early next year if there is some demand.

Dan
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Count me in for a set of spacers. Do you do the dust cover trimming as well? I'm not in a big rush, so I can send you mine if you prefer.
                            I assume the pads to use are the ones to go with the Kawasaki calipers. Any thoughts on recommended manufacturer &/or compound? This alone can make a huge performance difference.

Comment

I've used the stock Tokico ones with good success. I'm sure there are better & worse. They are quite hard on the stock 550 Rotors.

I can cut down your dust cover but can't you use a hacksaw? That's how I did it. Put it in a vice with 1/4" showing at the top, start cutting & as you reach the top of the jaws move it up... Or stick it on a grinder (that's what I'd do now I have one).

Dan
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Thanks for the pad info. That's always a good starting point. Most likely I'll go with one of the EBC compounds. With both the pads & rotors being consumables and the challenge in getting good quality used OEM rotors, I'm going to bite the bullet and start with new stuff. Please keep me posted when you are ready to do another run of parts.
                                With the dust covers, I wasn't sure how you cut yours down. Given the quality of the parts in the conversion kit, I just kinda assumed you used a lathe or other machine tool to cut them down. I can handle the methods you suggested!

Comment

Working...
                                X