No announcement yet.

gs750/gixer cam swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is it, a very well built 750. Most of his mods are proven big GS horsepower fixes. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Definitely an evil looking bike. :twisted:
      Kevin
      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
        Thanks for the link. I've oft admired that bike, but didn't recognize the name. Definitely an inspiration to all who desire more than the original.

Comment

cam specs

Anybody know the cam specs on some 89 Kat 750 cams? These may be more suited to the air cooled GS 750 16v. I have the flatslides too. Somehow I think that they are very close to the GS cams. With my bottom end making the death rattle....its decision time. Rebuild the GS, or rebuild the Gixxer motor :roll: My wife is gonna kill me either way.
          Mark

Comment

UP!

That last question is of interest to a few of us here in SWEDEN too

Comment

specs

Well, I have learned that the cam sprockets are different on the short stroke motors. The crankshaft sprocket and the cam sprocket must match. 85,6,7 cams wont work in the 88-89 models. Where the air cooled 16v motors fall into this I havent figured out yet. Anybody know if the 6 speed early gixxer trans will fit the air cooled 16v case? My tranny just arrived, but I just had surgery and cant do much with one arm. I can't wait to get these motors torn down so I can make a plan.

Comment

Well, I have learned that the cam sprockets are different on the short stroke motors. The crankshaft sprocket and the cam sprocket must match. 85,6,7 cams wont work in the 88-89 models.
                Just use the cam sprockets from the original motor - not the donor. Unless of course, they physically will not fit the bolt pattern.

Comment

All cams for GS, GSX, GSXR 16V engines will fit the GS 16V engine, note -GSXR to 90. The shim-model ones do not fit as I have been told. A friend of mine uses Cammotion G21 intended for the GSXR in his -83 GS1100, riuns like crazy. With 1135 cc Wiseco, ported head with 28,5mm intakes, VH 4-1 and Mikuni Smooths 33mm it power wheelies on second gear even though he uses a 41 rear sprocket instead of 42.....

My ?bike has a 1168cc JE kit with the same type of head except my exhaust valves are 24,5mm instead of 23mm originals, RS 36 carbs and a VH exhaust. My bike almost power wheelies but not like his does.
                  So it?s of interest to me to find out about the 750R -89 cams, I think they are somewhere in between my stock cams and his G21:s. They lift 0,38" and has a duration of 244degrees @0,050. High lift but not that long duration.

Comment

I'm going to ressurect this thread.. I see that they are talking about the gs 750 which has less aggressive cams as the 700, so I would assume that it would make a larger difference on that bike. Anyway.. I have seen early gsxr cams go for cheap on ebay, so I think these may be an cheap upgrade, if they just drop in anyway. I am not looking to replace springs or anything besides the cams themselve. I have no knowledge on the subject of cams, so your help is appreciated.

one of my questions is if anyone knows the specs of the 700 cams

Oldschool GS said that
                    ".330 lift @ 246 duration is about the limit for drop-ins"

Does anyone have the specs for the early gsxr cams 750 and 1100's are the sprockets the same size and or slotted? I would try to research more but i'm at school now and they block most sites...

Does anyone have experiance doing something like this? would I want to put just an intake or exhaust cam in? Any down sides?

I would really not consider this if it's going to requre a large chunk of change (like everyone right?), so crush my dreams now if this is not going to be feasable.

Nick

Comment

Why not move it on a bit more & look at using a complete gsxr750 head (flows more than any of the older gs /gsx heads as stock) Also still has the capacity for tuning without getting fragile

Not done it myself so dont know whats involved but have seen one on a 1135 running & producing good power the owner was expecting good reliability as well both on the street & strip

Comment

That would be another option I was thinking about doing as well. I really just want a bolt in power adder without too much hassle. I do also like the look of the gs head on the bike, and would like to keep it as stock looking as possible. I have heard of people putting the gsx-r heads on but i thought it required more work than just bolting it in and putting the chain on.

Are the springs on a gsxr head stiffer, and would they fit on the gs head?

Comment

Slingshot '88-'89 Gixxer cams are :

intake .355 @ 248 (at .040)
                          exhaust .334 @ 242 (at .040)

the 86 and 90 cams have less lift if I'm reading correctly

Comment

'88 and '89 were the short stroke motors. In '90 they lengthened the stroke. Do you have the specs for the '86 and '87 cams?

I believe the set of V&H cams I havefor my bike have .343 lift and don't require guide mods but a spring kit and either new or hardened rockers are recommended.

Comment

Sifting through old threads I found the specs for the 88 and 89 cams, and I am unaware of the specs for 86 or 87 cams.

Something like this possibly?

Comment

the 91-92 cams won't work. They are for the shim type adjusters.

Comment

Working...
                                X