No announcement yet.

gs750/gixer cam swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So that means I would be limited to the 86-87 cams, unless they are the same as the 87-88 cams, in which case they would not be drop in..

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Harrop View Post
      Anybody know the cam specs on some 89 Kat 750 cams? These may be more suited to the air cooled GS 750 16v. I have the flatslides too. Somehow I think that they are very close to the GS cams. With my bottom end making the death rattle....its decision time. Rebuild the GS, or rebuild the Gixxer motor :roll: My wife is gonna kill me either way.
      Mark
      Hey Mark,

I bought a set of used gsxr cams off a poster here. I was told they bolt right in. This is what I saw when they arrived.

The cams are single journal not dble like the gs. some of the cam casting would need to be machined away as to not destroy the other side of the journal not being used. they are also shorter than the gs cams.

The cams only came to the edge of the outer oil holes. the ones in the middle of the outer gournals. I am not convinced the outer cam journal will be adaquately oiled as oil would be spraying out the end of the cam.

I couldn't put them in with any confidence of reliability. I shipped them back to our gsr brother who saw fit to keep my money anyway.
      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
        Hey Mark,

I bought a set of used gsxr cams off a poster here. I was told they bolt right in. This is what I saw when they arrived.

The cams are single journal not dble like the gs. some of the cam casting would need to be machined away as to not destroy the other side of the journal not being used. they are also shorter than the gs cams.

The cams only came to the edge of the outer oil holes. the ones in the middle of the outer gournals. I am not convinced the outer cam journal will be adaquately oiled as oil would be spraying out the end of the cam.

I couldn't put them in with any confidence of reliability. I shipped them back to our gsr brother who saw fit to keep my money anyway.
        Yeah, the installs I've seen pictured (never in real life) made it pretty clear that although the performance increase is apparently significant, they won't work for a road bike. Some drag racers use that set up because, well, they don't care so much about reliability.

As much as I hate to stir the pot, I wonder if perhaps the GSR community wouldn't benefit from more of the details regarding your deal gone bad. Might save someone else here some money. Ignore me if it's already been played out here...

Comment

Working...
        X