Shock Lengths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shock Lengths

Can anyone tell me what the shock lengths are open & closed on the GS1000E (clevis) & GS1000G (eye to eye).

Bolt sizes are 10mm from memory, would that be right?

Are these sizes common to a lot of the GS models?

Anyone have an idea what the stock springrate is?

Cheers,

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the shock lengths are open & closed on the GS1000E (clevis) & GS1000G (eye to eye).

Bolt sizes are 10mm from memory, would that be right?

Are these sizes common to a lot of the GS models?

Anyone have an idea what the stock springrate is?

Cheers,

Dan
    Im pretty sure the E's all used a 13 or 13.25 shock. The Gs may have been a lil shorter, but i cant imagine by much. No idea for certain on the spring rate but Id imagine they're sprung for about a 180lb rider on the average.

Comment

The 850+ G/GL models all used a 330mm (13") eye-to-eye shock, and the bolt/stud sizes are 12mm.

A few of the 650GL models used slightly shorter shocks.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks Brian. Measured the 1000G & the 1000E today. All come up to the same.

Any performance benefit associated with going slightly longer such as 340mm??

Cheers,

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

A slightly longer shock will quicken the steering just a tad as it changes the geometry a bit obviously. Personally, me being a taller guy, and a bit uhh .. heavier than most i prefer a longer set up. With the Ohlins i just got i put the preload at max to make use of the 3/4inch hight increase, and it feels pretty good. The steering didnt speed up a noticeable amount either, but i havent pushed it thru any twisties yet as it rained most of the day here I think up to about 1" over length and you'll be ok. Much longer than that and you're starting to mess with the geometry enough where things will change exponentially. Now, if you've affixed a alu boxed swinger to the skunk or something, you might find you NEED a longer shock to make up some ride hight (at least i did when i did it to a 750, i am not sure if the 1000 swinger was as long as the 1100 or not) I ended up with a 14.25 on it, and it felt great. I am tempted at some point to try 14.25s on an 1100 to see how much it changes.

Comment

I have 14" long Ikon shocks on my 82 1100E. Stock rims with BT45's front and rear. The bike feels like it shed 50lbs when rolling and generally turns and handles much better. No signs of instability at all.

Mark

Comment

I'd like to have slightly longer shocks on my GS850 so I don't have to take the %$#@! shocks loose to let the axle clear the muffler when removing the rear wheel.

I mean, would it have killed Suzuki to mount the mufflers just a wee tiny bit higher?
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Dan,

I ordered the Ikons for the '83 1100E one inch longer. It definitely quickened up the steering. It also made putting the bike on the centerstand much easier. If your chain adjusters are near the end of their adjustment range the rear tire may contact the ground when the bike is on the centerstand. You'll notice the height difference when siting on the bike. I used to be able to flat-foot at stops, now I'm on the balls of my feet. FWIW, the Ikons are fantastic shocks, pricey but worth the money if you can afford them.

Thanks,
                Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Thanks Joe, I have a set of original Koni's for the 1000G that I still want to try. Might have to put a different spring on them as they are definitely softer than the stockers (7mm dia spring gauge as opposed to 8mm). They were on a G before. Damping & oil seals seem good with spring off the shock.

I'm actually looking into getting some samples of an alternative rebuildable shock with preload & damping adjustment... Might turn out to be nothing, they might be great... we'll see

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                    You'll notice the height difference when siting on the bike. I used to be able to flat-foot at stops, now I'm on the balls of my feet...
                    Joe
                    +1 on that (no pun!). The seat height has changed by well over an inch, due to the angles involved (I'm sure Posplayr can whip up the trig, to enlighten us on how much ). At any rate, now caution is required when coming to a stop on sandy/uneven road surfaces, to ensure safe footing. I'm guessing you too are around 6' tall.

Tony.
                    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
                    X