GS750 / GSXR Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 / GSXR Build

Just some pics... it's coming together. Hope to be riding this thing in a month.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Is that really all the fork travel you are going to have?

Comment

I was thiinking the same thing about the fork travel!!

Comment

those forks are WAY to low, that is suicide in the making. the ground clearance must be millimetres!!!
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Those are early GSXR forks, right? Looks like you're putting later model calipers on? And are you going to use bar clamps with handlebars, or leave the clipons? Will the clipons hit the tank?

So many questions....

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
            those forks are WAY to low, that is suicide in the making. the ground clearance must be millimetres!!!
            also just noticed you got a scissor jack under the engine, just how low is that front end?
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

The front end is bottomed out in that picture... I don't have the springs fitted Fork travel is 4" ground clearance is a little lower than stock but should be no more than an inch.

The scissor jack is there ready to jack it up for spring fitting... which is now done. More pics to follow.

I'm using the clipons but with custom bent bars - more pics to follow. No they don't touch the tank because I made some custom steering stops which are set in the right place! You can see them in the picture. They contact the frame at the same point the originals did. I also made a custom plate to mount the ignition & gauges, the steering lock works too.

Early GSXR 1100 forks. I have the series 1 GSXR brake calipers that are a straight bolt on - 4 pots except there is a clearance issue with the bleed nipple that makes them hard to get on & off so yes I may fit those 6pots but will take some jiggery pokery to get them to fit... Those 6 pots with new pads & master cylinder & Galfer lines cost me about the same as 2 sets of new pads for the 4 pots! Craigslist special.

Dan
              Last edited by salty_monk; 09-24-2009, 04:27 PM.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

The front end is bottomed out in that picture... I don't have the springs fitted

Dan
                Been there done that more than once with my GSXR conversion , like when I replumbed my oil cooler

Close tolerance fit huh?

so I figured you were doing the same .

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

The front end is bottomed out in that picture... I don't have the springs fitted Fork travel is 4" ground clearance is a little lower than stock but should be no more than an inch.

The scissor jack is there ready to jack it up for spring fitting... which is now done. More pics to follow.

I'm using the clipons but with custom bent bars - more pics to follow. No they don't touch the tank because I made some custom steering stops which are set in the right place! You can see them in the picture. They contact the frame at the same point the originals did. I also made a custom plate to mount the ignition & gauges, the steering lock works too.

Early GSXR 1100 forks. I have the series 1 GSXR brake calipers that are a straight bolt on - 4 pots except there is a clearance issue with the bleed nipple that makes them hard to get on & off so yes I may fit those 6pots but will take some jiggery pokery to get them to fit... Those 6 pots with new pads & master cylinder & Galfer lines cost me about the same as 2 sets of new pads for the 4 pots! Craigslist special.

Dan
                  I see - sounds like you've got alot of your jiggery pokery figured out. Those 6 pots sure would look nice on there!

Can't wait to see it all back together.

Comment

My tolerances aren't quite as close as yours Jim but I'm going with a more modern front fender for now...

Tooks some pics earlier with my phone, will try to post. Springs fitted etc.

The Ducati Rear shock is also fitted, frame painted etc.

I also have made a 5.5" rear wheel & 170 tyre fit I believe... Had to use a GS850 rear caliper on the GSXR rotor with custom axle mount & tie bar.
                    Just waiting for my sprockets & chain but I'm 99.999% sure it's going to be ok from my trial fits. Looking forward to getting it back on two wheels so I can sit on it. I have sort of tried it, might have to make another set of bars with more rise if these ones work out a bit extreme, they seem not too bad though

Dan
                    Last edited by salty_monk; 09-24-2009, 06:40 PM.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Here we go... Springs fitted, brace fitted (that was why the springs were out in last pic as I wanted to check for binding with the brace fitted).

Ducati Shock

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Rear brake kit:

I have to use an 850 / 1000 caliper with a couple of mm ground off to clear the wheel hub as the stock 750 has a connection for the banjo out of the side which doesn't work as I'm running it an inch or so closer to the swingarm, 850 one is connection out the back which should work fine.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

stops

Ignition Plate

Dan
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Not sure which decals to go with on the side panels or whether to lose the GS altogether (I plan to cut the GS out of GSXR)...

Which do you lot reckon? Top or bottom of the two below??

Dan
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

top one of the 2 looks better IMO
                              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                              X