GS750 / GSXR Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O.K., read the whole thread, some simple questions:

1) was that the 1st generation GSX1100 front end?
    2)Did that have a 17" rim?
    3) What did you use for the rear Rim?

Thanks, and I have looked but can't seem to find these answers. It seems like something I may be interested in doing, but I don't want to drop a lot of money on parts that don't fit and nobody else wants. Also, is that the stock swing arm? The rest I can see what you did, calipers, etc. but there are some early Generation front ends on EBAY now, knowing which one is the right one would be a great start. What years am I looking for, the 1st and 2nd year only?

Comment

Hoping for an answer, so I bump the thread.

Comment

What's considered a 1st generation GSX1100 front end? just curious, there are so many out there. Also, the rear swing arm thing still has me wondering, was that changed? Maybe it's too late to ask these things, but seeing how none of these upgrades affected the original bike, it would be interesting to do, and something to do with my son. I just don't want to throw money at it by buying the wrong parts.

Comment

It was the original swingarm but the 170mm tire & the 5.5" wheel were hard work to fit. I would go with a 160 on a 4.5" wheel if I was you. From memory there is one that will fit the standard GS sprocket drive (or possibly the GS500 sprocket drive, I can't remember) which makes it narrow enough.

All the info is on here somewhere, you just need to learn to work the search tool. There are 3 or 4 builds based on this bike. It's not easy sometimes but there is a tutorial for that too (or use Google site search).
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I appreciate you taking the time. This is something I should have done a long time ago. Time running out, I'll keep the bike bone stock, like the day I took it out of the crate. Thanks for responding.

Comment

Good luck with it. It's not something you can't do later but one of the other builds such as https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...gofvenus/about would be probably less work for you that what I did....
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks for responding.!!

Comment

What I really was wondering is was there a way of getting radials on the old ';83 GS750ES. I don't think that's possible. The bike handles so good stock though, it would be interesting to see if it handled better with Radial vs. Bias Ply tires.

Comment

I tried to do that too ony 1000. the 1150 wheelset was wide enough for an Avon 140 radial that they used to do but they discontinued it now.
                    I never did get it on the bike in the end. Was an abandoned project for me.
                    there are no stock wheels that are wide enough.
                    my guess is that the radial will just highlight any flex in the frame anyway probably…
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I've read that somewhere else too. To be honest, my '83 GS750ES doesn't seem to flex, and I've flipped that bike pretty hard.

Comment

Working...
                      X