gs1100 shocks and springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100 shocks and springs

is there someware that i can find shocks and springs that will suport a 230 pound rider with some 2 up riding and lots of loaded touring type duty

all the ones i can find are for lighter riders ...

i forgot to add that it is a 1980 gs1100L

Comment

Which sort of GS1100 do you have? E, ES, G, GL, GK, or what?

Anyway, there are a couple of options...

You can call up Dave ( http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/ ) and order some Hagon shocks. He'll ask you some questions and fit the correct shock springs for your riding and weight.

You can also use Progressive 12 series shocks, but install the super-heavy-duty 120/170 springs. These aren't on their GS list -- they're listed for the Kawasaki Voyager -- but they fit the 12 series shocks and work great for riders over 200 pounds. That's what's on my GS850. I have no idea what sort of 80 pound teenager can ride a GS with their "standard" springs in place. With the "heavy duty" springs, I had to crank up preload to the max just with me on the bike. The super-heavy-duty springs are perfect -- I'm on the second out of five preload positions riding solo, and I add two or three clicks with my wife and luggage aboard.

Here's the Dennis Kirk and Progressive part numbers -- these springs are only available in black:
      Dennis Kirk Part #: 580862
      Manufacturer Part #: 031365B

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

cant seem to find the part nums on the website ..... can ya give me an idea on price ...... so i can set a buget

Comment

Originally posted by sk843143 View Post
          cant seem to find the part nums on the website ..... can ya give me an idea on price ...... so i can set a buget
          Click the link -- it takes you right there. $63.99/pair for the springs, although they're out of stock at the moment.

Progressive 12 series shocks are $162.99/pair. You have to put the springs on the shocks, or find a shop to put them together for you.

You can get them a bit cheaper from http://z1enterprises.com
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Z1 also has Ikon shocks now too....
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

If money is an issue, check out the MDI shocks too....they would seem to be sprung ideally (on the stiff side, for < 200 lb riders) for your weight and two-up riding, at around $80 a set. Lots more info available by using the search function.
              Tony.
              '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
              Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Z1 carries Ikon and Progressive shocks and springs at great prices.

I'd call them for advice:
                Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

315-926-5054

Say "Hello" to Jeff for us!
                Eat more venison.

Comment

Working...
                X