oil coolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saaz
    If I could find an email address to send it too that is!
    Thanks mate, my email address is: sherriffbuck@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by biker66
      If I don't return the oil to the outside of the tube that comes up to the pressure swich, or to the plug on the right hand side behind the cylinder, the head will get no oil !
      Result: junk head with just about everything ruined inside !
      Just an observation.
      Very good point mate, I'll take your advice and run everything out of the oil pressure switch adapter block.

Comment

further info biker66 is spot on the block you fit must allow oil to return to both drain holes the rear supplies galleries to gear box the front supplies head so must flow around the extension you fit that brings the oil up to the switch and your offtake for cooler.. from memory that extension had an oring on the bottom for sealing
        ozman

Comment

Yes, the purpose of the adaptor is to divert the oil up through the cooler, then it continues back on its way on the original path.

Will email the pics

Comment

for saaz thats what i have been trying to say. i dont know why it took about 4 goes must be oldtimers disease

Comment

Originally posted by ozman
              for saaz thats what i have been trying to say. i dont know why it took about 4 goes must be oldtimers disease
              That's alright Ozzie, just give me a ride on the "Hone Monster" and I'll forgive you, ha ha!

Saaz was nice enough to email me some pics of a home made adaptor, I've no doubt that it worked, but I reckon it would be one of the ugliest pieces of metalwork I've ever seen.

I've got a pic of the earls adaptor (about $150.00 US) which I won't be buying at that price, so I'll try to make one similar, it looks pretty neat.

There was a complete cooler on ebay last night with about 8 hours to go, but I noticed that the high bidder was Squaredancerlynne, a regular GS contributor, so I thought I better do the right thing and not outbid him. Pity though, it looked pretty good.

Comment

Terry. Not bidding against SquareDancerLynn is a nice thing to do. Very respectable. I hope the good deed returns to you.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The principle is what matters! The Yoshi one I have is just a nicer cast and machined version of the homemade one. The original oil pressure switch is still used.

Comment

I've always been concerned about fitting coolers. We can get away without it here because most days are cool enough. I've got 2 questions:
                    Can the standard pump cope?

What happens to the oil in the cooler when you stop the engine? Do you need to add extra oil to compensate in order to keep the oil level high enough when the engine is running?

Sorry, thats 3!

To do the job properly surely you'd need to fit a thermostatic valve to bypass the cooler for cold days, and non-return valves to stop the oil running back into the sump?

Comment

yes the pump can cope
                      the small amount the cooler take does not seem to affect anything
                      check the oil same as always
                      no return valves ...why never seen one fitted yet
                      we ride in winter never had a problem with the oil getting to cold thermos just more complication and no gain
                      ozman

Comment

Interesting points guys, the cooler that I have apparently has some sort of built in thermostat, but how well (if at all) it works is anyone's guess. My old BMW R100RS that I recently sold had a thermostatic bypass on the engine block, and apparently it wouldn't allow oil to the cooler until it reached a certain temperature.

The cooler and lines must have held up to half a litre (a pint) of oil, because when I checked the oil on occasion (well, not that often, it is a BMW, ha ha!) I would forget and end up overfilling it because of all the oil hiding up in the cooler and lines, because the thermostat worked as a non return valve too.

Very noble of you Ozzie to state that us brave Aussies ride in winter, I've been to England and can attest that their summers are about as warm as our winters anyway, ha ha! :twisted:

Comment

Hi fellas,

Last summer, I put an oil cooler on my 83 GS850. I had been doing some riding and was stuck in a traffic jam on the road. My battery had went dead, and I could shut my bike off. After that, I began a quest to find a cooler setup to fit my 850. I was luck enough to by a Hayden adapter and cooler for a GS1000. The adapter replaced the oil pressure switch housing cover. I think this cover is the same for all GS's(don't quote me on that. I did a lot of research and preparation before putting the cooler on my bike. I added an oil pressure gauge(main oil gallery just below the back side of cylinder #4. I added the cooler and adapter with a minimal pressure drop. To make sure my pressure didn't drop, I took several pieces of 3/8" diameter aluminum stock and drilled a different sized channel through each. I then tried each to till I felt like I was retaining plenty of oil in the engine, but was allowing enough to flow through the cooler. I was going to fit a thermosat onto my outgoing line last fall, but I never got around to it. I do add a little extra oil, because some does stay in the cooler, but it is never over the full mark. As I said, I have done alot of research on this, so if you have any questions, let me know.

Brandon

Comment

I am doing some riding in sub zero temps recently to work, so short trips. Instead of a thermostat I will cover the oil cooler. I only have a little one one at the moment as my decent sized one cracked. For longer rides it still gets warm enough. This is with the full flow adaptor.

Comment

My 1100 has two ports on the front of the engine next to the oil filter that can be used for an oil cooler installation. What needs to be done to make these ports fully functional is to use an 1150 oil filter cover. This was covered a while ago in another oil cooler post.

The reason the 1150 cover must be used is that it blocks off flow to the filter through the drilled passages in the block. The flow to the filter is then through the oil cooler. Without the 1150 plate the oil cooler will not get much oil through it - so in turn not much cooling.

One word of caution - if you use the 1150 oil filter cover, then you MUST use and external oil cooler. Without the cooler, there will be a severe oil flow restriction to the filter.

Comment

re brs127s coment about restricting to keep oil preasure the way i read your post all you have done is kept preasure at the gauge and restricted flow to motor why....the cooler is between pump and oil galleries the restricters you made could not fit any where else it appears you might have reduced the amount of oil supplied to engine this is not good
                                ozman

Comment

Working...
                                X