Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil cooler adapter

Hello,
    I have built my own adapter and it works fine. Do a search for Chris Dailey and you should find the like to where it is posted. It has the demensions of the adapter or I have built and extra so if anyone wants one just let me know. Also with my adapter I have not had any troubles with the oil pressure light coming on like Brandons, I think because his adapter might be the partial flow and with mine I have made it long enough into the mate up the the oil pickup hole. So if you want some more pictures of mine or of other make's of adapters just let me know. Mine is roughly based on the earls model since they do make there's any more. Hope this helps, just let me know if you what my extra one.

Chris Dailey

Comment

Ozman,

Sorry, I didn't give a very good explaination of the restrictors. The restricters are placed in the hose going out to my cooler. With the pressure switch housing adapter, it only allows an additional path for the oil to pass through. The oil comes out just over the crankcase pump hole and returns just over the crankcase return hole.

If I plugged the outgoing hose, then it would be as if I never added the cooler. As Chris said in his post the adapter I have is a partial flow. The adapter has a shoulder that is about 2/3 the length of the distance between the top of the adapter and the crankcase. This allows some oil to go to the cooler, and the rest to continue its normal path through the engine. My restricter prevents too much oil from going to the cooler, therefor keeping more oil in the engine. I have trouble with my oil pressure light, because it is the pressure going to the cooler. The pressure switch is elbowed off the side of my adapter, so the oil flow just passes by it's opening. When warm, the light only comes on at an idle. This means I have a 1/2 pound of pressure at idle going through my cooler. This is why I added a mechanical oil pressure gauge to my main oil gallery(I did this on the recommendation of another GSR member[Hap gets the credit here]). Also, this is where the service shops would check the oil pressure.

When I finally got everything set up to my satisfaction, my pressure dropped only one two to tenths of a pound. With the cooler setup, my pressure was still at the upper end of the range in the factory manual. My 850 definitely runs cooler. It takes a little longer to warm up in cooler weather. That just means I have to ride it longer...darn, I just hate that!

Comment

I'm in the process of carving a chunk of billet alloy into an oil cooler adapter for my GS1000ST, loosely (well actually quite closely) based on the now unavailable Earls item. When it's finished (and if it works) I'll post a pic.

Because I run an oil pressure guage and due to the problems with tapping in an effective pressure switch and to save me some of the problems highlighted in the above posts I've decided to go without the oil pressure light, at least for the time being.

I thought about making another adapter for the oil pressure guage so that I can tap in the oil pressure switch as well, but I don't see much value in having two instruments working off the same adapter. :twisted:

Comment

oil cooler

Terry,
          My oil pressure switch is just like Brandons. I got it from NAPA it is .5 to 2.0 psi and if you looked at my adapter you can see where I mounted mine. It works fine since the oil comes up from the oil pickup right to the oil pressure switch and then thru the oil lines and cooler. I also think my oil cooler gives it some resistance in it. I made an oil temp block (drilled and taped for oil temp sender) so I can see what the oil temp was. I hooked the lines up from one side to the other and by passed the oil cooler and my pressure light came on at idle, so I hooked up the oil cooler and the light has yet to come on at idle. I hope the help you.

Chris Dailey

Comment

The earls ed30 adapter is NOT available I tride to get one from their web site. And I also got out bid on ebay at the last minute on the oil cooler. To get an adapter for the roller brg motors you will have to make one, so do a site search their are excellent directions for making one.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
              The earls ed30 adapter is NOT available I tride to get one from their web site. And I also got out bid on ebay at the last minute on the oil cooler. To get an adapter for the roller brg motors you will have to make one, so do a site search their are excellent directions for making one.
              No problemo mate, I've copied the ED30 as I think it looks the best out of all the adapters I've seen so far, I machined it out of billet aluminium but when I was almost finished and just tapping a BSP thread for the rear hose (return) fitting I managed to break my new 50 buck tap, so now I'm about half way thru adapter #2.

I'll have it finished by the weekend, so as soon as I work out how to post a pic I'll show you. As I said, it's a close copy of Earl's ED30 that is no longer available, machined from billet on my milling machine and bead blasted. (because I like the "frosted" finish) If you want one let me know, I'd really like to sell a couple of these to recover the costs of the two taps, ha ha! :twisted:

Comment

The NAPA/Echlin part number for the oil pressure switch is: OP6115

Comment

Working...
                X