Progressive Shock Springs 105/150 VS 90/130

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progressive Shock Springs 105/150 VS 90/130

Finally got all the Progressive bits that the PO gave me installed. Bike feels like a different machine. New fork springs, rear shocks, and springs. I've noticed that rear end feels a bit too harsh. I'm pretty sure that at 165 lbs, I'm probably going to need the 90/130 rate spring, right? The ones I got for free are the 105/150 rate, and the rear end feels more stable in corners now, but bumps seem to be a bit more jarring than necessary.

Progressive 12 series shocks are not adjustable for damping, and that may be the harshness that you feel.

Anyway, figuring out which spring is best is a good first step. What's your static sag with no preload?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      Progressive 12 series shocks are not adjustable for damping, and that may be the harshness that you feel.

Anyway, figuring out which spring is best is a good first step. What's your static sag with no preload?
      Nice link! It made me laugh at myself. Haven't gotten around to checking much of that stuff, I've only just got everything together. I'm going to give it a couple 20 minute rides to make sure nothing's going to leak (replaced seals and whathaveyou at the same time.) or otherwise fail. After that I was planning on mucking around with adjustments. Just figured that with the number of people heavier than me that talk of being oversprung with the 105/150s, I might be better off starting with the softer spring. It shouldn't be too hard to find a place locally that will swap with me.

Comment

When I mounted the Progressive 12 series shocks (P/N 1204 same as the 1100E) on my GS1000E with the standard 90/130 springs I found they were too soft for my taste. I weigh about the same as you and I prefer 7/10's sport touring. I ordered up the 105/150 springs and found a good compromise was having the preload set to #2 or #3. Regardless the Progressive 12 series are not as buttery smooth as the OEM shocks but I would suggest keeping the 105/150 springs and they will be second nature in short order.
        Last edited by srsupertrap; 01-10-2010, 04:32 PM.
        1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
        Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

I've got the 105/150's on my bike, preload set at #2. This set up works well for me and I weigh 230 lbs.

Comment

Just for reference in the opposite direction, I'm, uh, a rather enormous galoot who rides with a high degree of verve, and I had to move to the 120/170 springs on my Progressive shocks.

They aren't listed in the GS application data, but if you poke around, you'll find these extra-heavy-duty springs listed for the Kawasaki Voyager. And since any 12 series spring fits any 12 series shock... badabing.

By myself, I'm on the first or second position of preload, and with my wife and assorted luggage aboard, I'm in the third or fourth. Perfect.

You don't even want to know the kind of preload spacer I need in the front to get a reasonable amount of sag. Working on the forks on my GS is a bit of an ordeal.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
            X