Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1150 suspension upgrades

Hello all and a happy Easter.

My front forks and rear shock are bottoming out on full preload and am considering front and rear end upgrade options. To that end I would like to know what you experienced fella's have found in the way of front end upgrades that bolt on. I am currently looking at fairly expensive complete GSXR front ends (triple trees and callipers incl) and cheap as chips rear shocks from GSXR 600's to 1000's (haven't looked at Hayabusa shocks yet) but have found unbelievably cheap new 1000 shock but have no clue as to whether it will fit or how much modding is required.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-0...item35a8488c54.

All advice appreciated, thanks

Colin
    Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2010, 08:04 PM.

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
    Hello all and a happy Easter.

My front forks and rear shock are bottoming out on full preload and am considering front and rear end upgrade options. To that end I would like to know what you experienced fella's have found in the way of front end upgrades that bolt on. I am currently looking at fairly expensive complete GSXR front ends (triple trees and callipers incl) and cheap as chips rear shocks from GSXR 600's to 1000's (haven't looked at Hayabusa shocks yet) but have found unbelievably cheap new 1000 shock but have no clue as to whether it will fit or how much modding is required.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-0...item35a8488c54.

All advice appreciated, thanks

Colin
    Are you keeping the stock swingarm? Some guys are using Ducati shocks, Salty Monk I believe is trying one on his 750. I think he said the spring is too stiff, might work better with the extra weight of an 1150. I got lucky and picked up a barely used Works shock for $150.

Up front I'm using a '95 GSX-R750 fork held with a CBR954RR triple set. '88 wheels, 3.5" wheel with a 120/70 up front and a 4.5" with a 160/60 on the rear. Another lucky buy I made was a set of PFM iron rotors up front. The 954 triple gains about 3/4" clearance for you. You can using anything pre-SRAD as far as wheels and brakes, '95 and newer. By the mid '90s the GSX-R had gotten a little porky, somewhere around 450 lbs dry. You're starting to get in that ballpark with a good lightweight pipe like a Yosh or Hindle and a little lightening in other areas. This combination probably gives you close to the same overall length as GSX-R1100 forks.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
      Are you keeping the stock swingarm? Some guys are using Ducati shocks, Salty Monk I believe is trying one on his 750. I think he said the spring is too stiff, might work better with the extra weight of an 1150. I got lucky and picked up a barely used Works shock for $150.

Up front I'm using a '95 GSX-R750 fork held with a CBR954RR triple set. '88 wheels, 3.5" wheel with a 120/70 up front and a 4.5" with a 160/60 on the rear. Another lucky buy I made was a set of PFM iron rotors up front. The 954 triple gains about 3/4" clearance for you. You can using anything pre-SRAD as far as wheels and brakes, '95 and newer. By the mid '90s the GSX-R had gotten a little porky, somewhere around 450 lbs dry. You're starting to get in that ballpark with a good lightweight pipe like a Yosh or Hindle and a little lightening in other areas. This combination probably gives you close to the same overall length as GSX-R1100 forks.

Thank you very much Billy. That was very informative. Truth is I had sorta assumed that a new swingarm would be a beneficial upgrade but now the question is asked, I'm not so sure. If significant handling gains aren't to be had then I should take advantage of the time & $ saving. I shall ask Salty Monk what sort of Ducati the shock is from. I'm a fatass so it may well be spot on.

Is that the set of 95 GSX-R750 forks and CBR954RR triple set in the pics? It looks very cool.

Looking around fleabay I don't see too many older front end parts Most very late 90's or newer.

Have seen some very cheap GSXR 600/750/1000 forks and triple trees going for under $200 and complete with damper, calipers, brake lines, throttle cables, lower triple tree, clip ons, levers, hand control, clutch perch, master cylinder etc, etc for between $450 to $550. Shipping is between $130 to $230. If they bolted straight in (and were the right height???) it would suit my budget and natural inclination to take the easy path. ???
      Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2010, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Colin,

What I think you'll find is that the GSX guys want GSXR suspension and the GSXR guys want newer GSXR suspension, so I'd look at katrider and GSXR forums for complete front ends. And the GS 500 guys want the GSX stuff

I got a GSX front end (forks, triples, brakes, rotors, wheel, tire, fender) for $140 US from a guy who upgraded to GSXR parts

You need to watch the length of the forks, the newer ones are often shorter than you'd want. Especially the USD forks.

So, to answer your last question, yes. They "mostly" bolt right in with a few mods
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I just got a Works mono for my 1150, but have a Hayabusa shock and either a CBR or a Ducati shock that I was going to try to fit in there.

You're welcome to either for a deep discount.

Comment

I have a Ducati Monster 900 Shock. About 98 model. 13". The CBR shock was too short.

The Ducati shock spring is too stiff for my 165lb & the 750. Might be ok on an 1150 with a heavier rider for sure.

I thought I might try an 1150 stock spring on the 1150 if anyone has one around that they would part with....

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Unless you're going to be going absolutely balls out you could get by with the stock swingarm with a really good shock. If you know someone that is up to the job you could do this. I'd like to do it myself someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                Colin,

What I think you'll find is that the GSX guys want GSXR suspension and the GSXR guys want newer GSXR suspension, so I'd look at katrider and GSXR forums for complete front ends. And the GS 500 guys want the GSX stuff

I got a GSX front end (forks, triples, brakes, rotors, wheel, tire, fender) for $140 US from a guy who upgraded to GSXR parts

You need to watch the length of the forks, the newer ones are often shorter than you'd want. Especially the USD forks.

So, to answer your last question, yes. They "mostly" bolt right in with a few mods

Thanks Big T, Good idea re sourcing the parts from other bike forums. Local prices are crap. ($450 US just for the forks off a 92 GSXR or $600+ for a 2004 set) I was aware that some forks were shorter, but didn't (still don't) know which ones are okay length wise. I guess I can measure mine then start asking owners of later model bikes what theirs are.

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
                I just got a Works mono for my 1150, but have a Hayabusa shock and either a CBR or a Ducati shock that I was going to try to fit in there.

You're welcome to either for a deep discount.
                Thank you Mike. Very generous of you, but I would like to find out what sort of mods are required to get replacement shocks to fit. I am very limited in the metal working dept. I can't weld and have little metal work experience, so establishing what I'm in for and gearing up for it is important. Straight bolt in swaps are very appealing.

What was the works shock (brand, $ and source). It might be better for me to spend more buying a bolt in shock if too much modification work is required. (if I can hide some $ from the wife)

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                I have a Ducati Monster 900 Shock. About 98 model. 13". The CBR shock was too short.

The Ducati shock spring is too stiff for my 165lb & the 750. Might be ok on an 1150 with a heavier rider for sure.

I thought I might try an 1150 stock spring on the 1150 if anyone has one around that they would part with....

Dan
                Thanks Dan, Gosh you are a light weight eh! I can add close to another 100 lb plus the extra bike weight .

Can you give me any idea as to what was involved in making the monster shock fit?

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                Unless you're going to be going absolutely balls out you could get by with the stock swingarm with a really good shock. If you know someone that is up to the job you could do this. I'd like to do it myself someday.
                Thanks Billy, Good article and a nice bike. Looking at the mods to the swingarm gives me cause to question whether the standard swingarm will do the job, but that said, I haven't noticed any flex/movement yet. (I'm prolly too much of a pussy to ride it hard enough to notice anyway).

I would prefer to do what needs to be done for myself if possible as I hate being indebted to people (favour wise) and the wife will beat me up if I spend too many $.

Thank you very much guys, I do appreciate your advice.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2010, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Hi Colin you mentioned the amount of bracing on the bike in the magazine article. I didnt notice any flexing in the swingarm of my GSX1100Ef (GS1150) either until!!!!!! I was doing about 110 k's per hour (about 70 mph) and felt the bike buck under me this was the result....

Comment

And this ....The rear wheel was held in the chain and shock...

Comment

Originally posted by taswegian View Post
                      Hi Colin you mentioned the amount of bracing on the bike in the magazine article. I didnt notice any flexing in the swingarm of my GSX1100Ef (GS1150) either until!!!!!! I was doing about 110 k's per hour (about 70 mph) and felt the bike buck under me this was the result....
                      Yow! That's not good. Has anyone given you any idea as to why it happened. I am having difficulty envisaging the sort of action that would result in a fracture like that. What were you doing at the time.. Leaning over hard while going over pot holes??? Hope you didn't damage yourself.
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2010, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Seized bushes... one side it turned out was already broken and I didnt know that until i had lifted the bike up to have a closer look at it when I got it home. I was going around a lefthand sweeper and the bike was feeeling stable and strong I was really enjoying the ride ( 4hrs from home) and because one side was already gone it loaded the opposite side up and didnt like it. I will admit it was the scariest moment of my life...... The upside is that she stayed upright and was ridden another 30k's with a lighter rider (missus) Trailered home that night and is back on the road after sourcing a secondhand swingarm... I havent braced the latest one and I still ride her hard....

Comment

Originally posted by taswegian View Post
                          Seized bushes... one side it turned out was already broken and I didnt know that until i had lifted the bike up to have a closer look at it when I got it home. I was going around a lefthand sweeper and the bike was feeeling stable and strong I was really enjoying the ride ( 4hrs from home) and because one side was already gone it loaded the opposite side up and didnt like it. I will admit it was the scariest moment of my life...... The upside is that she stayed upright and was ridden another 30k's with a lighter rider (missus) Trailered home that night and is back on the road after sourcing a secondhand swingarm... I havent braced the latest one and I still ride her hard....
                          Thank you for much for your cautionary tale. I'ma going to make sure my bushes don't seize. Glad to hear you didn't lose it.

Comment

Ducati shock is a bolt-on for the 750. All I had to do was slightly relieve the casting split line around the outside of the top eye. 2 mins work with a file.

I also had to use some washers on the bottom end from memory to get the right width but nothing special, they just came straight out of my metric bolt kit (think they were 8mm or 10mm washers, usual store type).

You should know that it has about 1/2" less travel (maybe 3/4" can't remember now) than the stock one too.

I am guessing with 100lb & the weight of the 750 the Ducati spring might work out for you. It's a Showa with adjustable preload & Damping. It's hard to reach the damping once installed but is just possible.... Possible I might put 100lb of wife on the back of it soon, that would give a decent indication as she'll be out over the back so should be somewhat equivalent at a guess.

Dan
                            Last edited by salty_monk; 04-07-2010, 03:38 PM.
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                              Ducati shock is a bolt-on for the 750. All I had to do was slightly relieve the casting split line around the outside of the top eye. 2 mins work with a file.

I also had to use some washers on the bottom end from memory to get the right width but nothing special, they just came straight out of my metric bolt kit (think they were 8mm or 10mm washers, usual store type).

You should know that it has about 1/2" less travel (maybe 3/4" can't remember now) than the stock one too.

I am guessing with 100lb & the weight of the 750 the Ducati spring might work out for you. It's a Showa with adjustable preload & Damping. It's hard to reach the damping once installed but is just possible.... Possible I might put 100lb of wife on the back of it soon, that would give a decent indication as she'll be out over the back so should be somewhat equivalent at a guess.

Dan
                              Thanks Dan. The detail you have provided is great. pity about the lesser amount of travel though. Cheers

Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X