Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone here racing a gs1000 or similar bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by resjudicata View Post
    That's an interesting place to mount the oil cooler. It doesn't get in the way of your knee?

Chris
    That's an old photo that has since been removed. It worked great, no clearance problem, but I figured it would never pass tech inspection...bike goes down, oil cooler gets compromised, oil all over track...

Comment

Thanks, Marc!

Originally posted by kochic View Post
      for wera racer.
      marc

Comment

And a cheap mod is to get alloy 10mm plate brackets made for the upper rear engine mounts. LHS will require to make shorter alloy tube spacer and RHS is almost a straight swap . Well is looks like it be on my bike when it goes together again.
        Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2010, 08:45 PM.

Comment

I'd go total loss as long as the battery will last long enough for your races.

Another thing I'd do is find some better shocks. Works makes some nice units, although they are not cheap.

BTW, how did the oil cooler adapter work out? Installing some 750 oil pump gears might be a good idea but not sure how necessary it is.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Your bike is cosmetically way nicer than ours...but still not as shiny as some of the Aussies...
            The only nit I'd pick is the steering damper mount below the triple clamp. The cable tie on our forks to indicate travel says that the owner is only 5mm short of hitting the triple clamp under hard braking.

Sharpy if you want bellmouths for the 28/29 Mikunis, I've made up a press tool and can supply in any length you want

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
              Your bike is cosmetically way nicer than ours...but still not as shiny as some of the Aussies...
              The only nit I'd pick is the steering damper mount below the triple clamp. The cable tie on our forks to indicate travel says that the owner is only 5mm short of hitting the triple clamp under hard braking.

Sharpy if you want bellmouths for the 28/29 Mikunis, I've made up a press tool and can supply in any length you want
              Sorry greg already have a set for the 29's and my road bike runs a huge K&N under the seat replacing the standard airfilter housing but keeping the front half which has those dicky rubber inlets as standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                I'd go total loss as long as the battery will last long enough for your races.

Another thing I'd do is find some better shocks. Works makes some nice units, although they are not cheap.

BTW, how did the oil cooler adapter work out? Installing some 750 oil pump gears might be a good idea but not sure how necessary it is.
                Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                And a cheap mod is to get alloy 10mm plate brackets made for the upper rear engine mounts. LHS will require to make shorter alloy tube spacer and RHS is almost a straight swap . Well is looks like it be on my bike when it goes together again.
                Thanks, guys! The oil cooler adapter works fine. I definitely need rear shocks and am searching. I'll work on relocating the damper, too. It was a rush job to get ready for the Barber races.

Comment

Originally posted by wera racer View Post
                  Thanks, guys! The oil cooler adapter works fine. I definitely need rear shocks and am searching. I'll work on relocating the damper, too. It was a rush job to get ready for the Barber races.
                  Did you run at Barbers? I was there.

Comment

Hey GregT, Can you give us some details on the bike in the video. Very impressive!

Comment

There was some discussion at the time on the accompanying thread.
                      However - It was bought as a pretty rough race 1000 - still is pretty rough. Motor seems to be .040 over, std pistons, "S" cams in a small chamber "S" head. Dialled to 107/109. Pocket ported,std valves. Dyna S ignition with Bosch 2.8 ohm coils running around 38deg total advance.
                      Crank is not welded...nor is 2nd gear as far as I know.
                      It is set up as a midrange motor on 31 CR Keihins. Not pistol hot as you see but enough grunt to pull one tooth less than stock on the rear - with an 18in rear too...
                      Chassis is unbraced as yet. GSX1100 alloy arm and 18in wheel. Konis on the rear with of all things 450 standard springs..Progressive in the front.
                      It's raced on BT39/BT45 street rubber - against bikes on slicks...
                      Since the vid was shot I've fitted twin piston Brembos to the front - 2 opposed piston calipers are the max allowed under our rules - none of these modern twin piston sliding calipers allowed. Testing last Tuesday was very impressive...Street race at Greymouth on the west coast of the South Island this weekend - No Ray, not that !! - legal roadracing.
                      Big rebuild scheduled after Xmas when the owner goes back to Aussie but until then it's running at every meeting here incl the Burt Munro at Invercargill in late November.

Comment

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
                        Did you run at Barbers? I was there.
                        No, I ran at Barber, not Barbers. #251 green on silver GS1000 and #251 yellow RD350 in races 10 and 11, respectively. I was bringing up the rear, both times. This was only my third outing, so I was one of the many red shirts. It's the only AHRMA event I will be able to make each year and I'll be doing WERA Tally, Nashville and Barber.
                        Rick

Comment

Originally posted by wera racer View Post
                          Also need better rear shocks. Hopefully that will take care of it.
                          Race Tech is now making shocks for the GS. Looks like you can spend some money, or more money

I haven't tried a set, but they look nice and can be tailored exactly to your use
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                          X