Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a 1983 GS1100E crankshaft?

Hi!

Can anyone here identify this crankshaft as being the desirable 83 GS1100E just by looking at these pics? I can't because I have never examined one of these crankshafts.

I have been told that it is from an 83 (welded) but it has 492 connecting rods. I was under the impression that it would have 493 connecting rods.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Normand
    2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
    1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
    2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
    s)

83 GS1100E cranks have 492 rods, but they also have the large 29mm taper. That crank appears to have the small 25mm taper. Some of the late 82 cranks were factory welded. 493 rods only came on Katana cranks.

Comment

It looks like a small end crank to me.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I have also noticed in blown up pics that the taper for the rotor has had a hard time. This makes me wonder if I should simply pass on this one... and look for a better one (or get mine welded, etc.).

What do you think?

Thanks!

Normand
        s)

Comment

Are you racing it, building it up or just putting together a stock road bike?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Are you racing it, building it up or just putting together a stock road bike?
            Not racing ... nor putting together a stock road bike.
            I'm still at the "parts gathering" stage and am thinking of what to do about the crankshaft.

The engine will inherit a GSXR750 DOT head along with the matching carbs.
            1150 cylinder block will be sleeved to accept 79mm pistons (to get 1294cc).
            I already have a 1983 GS1100E crankshaft but was wondering if it would be a good move to purchase one already welded, etc. rather than getting mine done.
            Other parts such as HD clutch basket, HD cam chain, top end oiler, etc. are also on the shelf in the garage.
            Phew! ... this all adds up ... but I love it!

Thanks!
            s)

Comment

Your '83 1100 crank should already be welded. They welded them starting from mid '82.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                Your '83 1100 crank should already be welded. They welded them starting from mid '82.
                I agree ... but the crank throw located next to the primary gear has to be welded (not done at factory).
                Thanks!
                s)

Comment

Yup weld that crank! What size piston pins are in those pistons you plan on using. With the 1100 crank they need to be 18mm. (not to insult)

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    Yup weld that crank! What size piston pins are in those pistons you plan on using. With the 1100 crank they need to be 18mm. (not to insult)
                    Not insulted LOL! Piston pins are 18mm.

So what do you think of that knackered taper? Is it a "show stopper"?
                    s)

Comment

If it's not twisted I'd use it until I split the rod bearing out, I'm getting pretty good at that
                      1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                      1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                      1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                      1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                      01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                        '83 1100 and '84 1150 cranks are not welded at all of the throws, and will twist and ventilate the crankcases with a connecting rod. Ask me how I know

Comment

Originally posted by jheurte View Post
                          '83 1100 and '84 1150 cranks are not welded at all of the throws, and will twist and ventilate the crankcases with a connecting rod. Ask me how I know
                          OK John, I'll ask.
                          How did you find that out?
                          s)

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
                            OK John, I'll ask.
                            How did you find that out?
                            My '83 Katana (back in 1984) with 1170 pistons, Megacycle cams, 33 smoothbores, & reinforced clutch hub. I didn't bother with the crank because it was supposedly welded and shouldn't be an issue. The bike was used for commuting, street racing, and bracket racing twice a month. all done with stock chassis (no wheeliebars) and street tires. After running it up through the gears I was going 60 mph in 5th when I felt a vibration. By the time I could pull in the clutch there was a hole in the cases and oil on the ground. A couple of weeks later we were at the dragstrip when a friend wanted me to make a pass on his '84 1150, stock except for '33's and a pipe. At the top of 3rd gear I felt the same type of vibration, with the same results. Bad enough to blow up your own motor, but it really sucks doing it to someone else's bike! Both bikes were well maintained, and although I rode the bike hard, it was not abused. Had I known that not all the throws were welded I would have had the crank welded when I was modifying the engine. Never trust the factory welded cranks, after my experiences I checked other bikes when I had the top end off, and found some that were twisted.

Comment

Originally posted by jheurte View Post
                              My '83 Katana (back in 1984) with 1170 pistons, Megacycle cams, 33 smoothbores, & reinforced clutch hub. I didn't bother with the crank because it was supposedly welded and shouldn't be an issue. The bike was used for commuting, street racing, and bracket racing twice a month. all done with stock chassis (no wheeliebars) and street tires. After running it up through the gears I was going 60 mph in 5th when I felt a vibration. By the time I could pull in the clutch there was a hole in the cases and oil on the ground. A couple of weeks later we were at the dragstrip when a friend wanted me to make a pass on his '84 1150, stock except for '33's and a pipe. At the top of 3rd gear I felt the same type of vibration, with the same results. Bad enough to blow up your own motor, but it really sucks doing it to someone else's bike! Both bikes were well maintained, and although I rode the bike hard, it was not abused.
                              Yikes! That hurts!
                              Had I known that not all the throws were welded I would have had the crank welded when I was modifying the engine.
                              Do you get the factory welds re-welded also, or only the throws that are not welded?
                              Never trust the factory welded cranks, after my experiences I checked other bikes when I had the top end off, and found some that were twisted.
                              Thanks for the insight!
                              s)

Comment

Working...
                              X