top speed for a 85 gs700es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

top speed for a 85 gs700es

Hey Everyone. I got my 700ES running and took it out for a spin. I wanted to test my work so I riped the throtle open and took it up to about 105 indicated on the speedo. I am running K&N pods, modified exhaust and the carbs were jetted by 6 sigma. I know the bike is old but that seems a bit slow. I did step up the rear sproket 2 or 3 teeth, I cant remember exactly because I did that a few years back. But I do understand that it would have taken down the topend a bit. I am just wondering if anyone else has toped out their 700es and where it maxed out. I sent the bike up north to glen arbor MI to wait for me. I will be up there to ride on the 18th of this month and will give it another go, i dont think I had the engine maxed out the last time.

Using a digital speedo (very accurate) a similar setup like yours on the 83 750 has been seen to reach approx 116mph...

If you stepped up the rear sprocket try 4th gear instead of 5th - you might get a faster terminal unless you run out of revs (doubtful).
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Danaconda7 View Post
      Hey Everyone. I got my 700ES running and took it out for a spin. I wanted to test my work so I riped the throtle open and took it up to about 105 indicated on the speedo. I am running K&N pods, modified exhaust and the carbs were jetted by 6 sigma. I know the bike is old but that seems a bit slow. I did step up the rear sproket 2 or 3 teeth, I cant remember exactly because I did that a few years back. But I do understand that it would have taken down the topend a bit. I am just wondering if anyone else has toped out their 700es and where it maxed out. I sent the bike up north to glen arbor MI to wait for me. I will be up there to ride on the 18th of this month and will give it another go, i dont think I had the engine maxed out the last time.
      I have topped mine at 115 running a 43T in the rear sprocket.

Comment

cool man, thanks for the info.

Comment

Gearingcommander.com

Great site.

- boingk

Comment

that is a cool site! thank for showing me. I am sure that will help me out.

Comment

My 1974 CB550 did 105mph in the 1/4 mile so I would say something is not right with your GS700
              My stable
              84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
              85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
              88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
              98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
              90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
              06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
              00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                If you stepped up the rear sprocket try 4th gear instead of 5th - you might get a faster terminal unless you run out of revs (doubtful).
                Other way around.

Higher tooth count on the rear sprocket will give better acceleration but poorer top speed.

You will get your best top speed in... top gear.

- boingk

Comment

120 at sea level. Though that could be pushing it for the 700E. My 750 has a hard time topping out in 5th gear (stock gearing) at 3,800-4,000 ft. Has been clocked by a friend of mine (state trooper) at 118 on a long open level stretch of hiway. At the time we were trying to get a 1100ES dialed in, never got it past 140. Was shooting for 150. He volunteered his umm radar gun lol.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                  X