Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best carbs for GS1000

Hi all,
    I'm starting to put my old GS1000 back on the road (been a long time project LOL) it has a tuned motor and I'm looking at two tipes of carbs.
    One set is the GSXR750 36mm the others are the GSX1100efe 36mm which do you all think are the best for the GS1000?

Cheers

Let's get the smart alec response out of the way right up front.

(clearing throat)... stock

Comment

The ones from the Gixxer.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by winfield View Post
        Let's get the smart alec response out of the way right up front.

(clearing throat)... stock

Yes, that's one point of view. However, in my defence my '1000' is not exactly "stock": 1100cc Wiseco kit/bores, fast road hi-lift cams, ported/flowed head, race zorst, individual air filters and, well, loads of other bits.
        Original carbs 26mm slide or 32mmCV. Somehow I think that they may have a tad of trouble dealing with all of that

I was running 35mm CR Keihn roundslides, but although they gave huge amounts of performance (power delivery, hyperspace drive, etc) they were a bitch riding through traffic - or slowly in any conditions for more than a few minutes - and a bike which already isn't exactly frugal on fuel consumption went down to about 15mpg - which here in the UK is now requiring several bankers' bonuses to fund

So I'm looking for a carb set which still let me have a reasonable performance without the hassle in traffic or the fuel greed. I live in a rural area where there's not many fast or straight roads (at least, not long stretches of them), so a lot of on/off throttle work, bends, corners and hills and a fair few bits of lower speed villages/small towns and then stretches of rural roads again. Accordingly it's really more working with torque and acceleration than utter top end and someting which will work as a reliable carb throughout the full range of idle/pilot to fully open (and back again), on-off repeatedly and rapidly.

Comment

get some VM28SS from a GS1000S, or get some VM29SS from early GSXR750 and bore them out to 33mm

i run VM28SS on my GS1085 with belmouths, and it is perfectly tractable on the road and fuel consumption is pretty good
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith View Post
            Yes, that's one point of view. However, in my defence my '1000' is not exactly "stock": 1100cc Wiseco kit/bores, fast road hi-lift cams, ported/flowed head, race zorst, individual air filters and, well, loads of other bits.
            Original carbs 26mm slide or 32mmCV. Somehow I think that they may have a tad of trouble dealing with all of that

I was running 35mm CR Keihn roundslides, but although they gave huge amounts of performance (power delivery, hyperspace drive, etc) they were a bitch riding through traffic - or slowly in any conditions for more than a few minutes - and a bike which already isn't exactly frugal on fuel consumption went down to about 15mpg - which here in the UK is now requiring several bankers' bonuses to fund

So I'm looking for a carb set which still let me have a reasonable performance without the hassle in traffic or the fuel greed. I live in a rural area where there's not many fast or straight roads (at least, not long stretches of them), so a lot of on/off throttle work, bends, corners and hills and a fair few bits of lower speed villages/small towns and then stretches of rural roads again. Accordingly it's really more working with torque and acceleration than utter top end and someting which will work as a reliable carb throughout the full range of idle/pilot to fully open (and back again), on-off repeatedly and rapidly.
            My smart alec answer wasn't worth you responding to it. I just couldn't keep from typing. I don't know why sarcasm comes so easily to me.

Your bike sounds like it will be a lot of fun. Do you have a GoPro? I sincerely would love to see a video of a ride through the countryside you describe.

Comment

Winfield may not have been as far off the mark as he thought.

The stock carbs on the '80 GS1000 were BS34, not BS32. The 1100 also used the BS34, the 1150 used BS36.

I would think that for street use with the occasional "blast", the BS34s might work quite well.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I would think that for street use with the occasional "blast", the BS34s might work quite well.
                Sounds like great advice, as usual

1979 GS1000

Comment

I rode a GS1100E with the GSXR carbs, it was really carbureted well. A ton of power and great gas milage. It may help that the owner was a very good mechanic and spent a lot of effort getting them perfect.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    I rode a GS1100E with the GSXR carbs, it was really carbureted well. A ton of power and great gas milage. It may help that the owner was a very good mechanic and spent a lot of effort getting them perfect.
                    Yeah, Mikuni 36MM smoothbores on my gpz900/1000 and they seem to do great.
                    Last edited by gsgeezer; 01-07-2014, 08:04 PM.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Winfield may not have been as far off the mark as he thought. ...
                      Well, even a blind squirrel sometimes finds a nut...

I just wish he would find the dang bolt that went with it too.

Comment

Steve got the years and sizes right. My 79 came with 29s that i sold and put the stock 26s on. And I now have a set of the European size VM28s...I like stock configured bikes though.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I got a good set of BS34's for 100 bucks PM me and let me know what you think. I was going to Ebay them soon. Seen them going for $175-$225 depending.Stock slide lift holes never drilled for a dynojet kit like most have been. Well kept and *Clean* (Firm)
                          sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Cheers all, (this is why I like this site lods of addvice ) I have not got the stock carbs, so as I do have the GSXR ones and some of you say they work I will give them a go
                            At the end of the day I can always have a play over the summer swopping carbs
                            I don't know what a GoPaly is? but when the wether gets better I can do a vido of a ride around the lanes but I want show the speedo you dont know who is looking LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith View Post
                              However, in my defence my '1000' is not exactly "stock": 1100cc Wiseco kit/bores, fast road hi-lift cams, ported/flowed head, race zorst, individual air filters and, well, loads of other bits.
                              So whats the HP you think at rear wheel?

Comment

Working...
                              X