No announcement yet.

Best carbs for GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mikuni 29mm smoothbores or 33mm smoothbores on a big port head, thats what i run.

Comment

I'd agree with Tarbash. My old GSX1100ET/X was tweaked a bit - Yoshi 1135, Yoshi stage II cams - which got 'updated' to an unknown brand with more lift and a LOT more duration, handmade exhaust, K&N pods, and it ran really nicely with a set of 33mm Keihin CR Specials (smoothbores). Back in the bad old days (pre speed cameras, lasers, etc - 30 years ago ) , when we could still 'cruise' at 130-140-160 kph and not get busted - or lose our licences, I used to get slightly better mileage than my mate did with his stock GS1100G (shaftie). About a litre less per refuel - at the same mileages ~ 150-180 kms. I had some 37 mm Keihins for it that I tried for a while - but I could never get the damn things jetted up right, and ended up going back to the 33's.

You know that you can unscrew the front spigot of the CR's, and replace it with a smaller inner diameter? Then you could change your 35's to 33's... You may need (probably) to change the needles though (lean the upper range a bit from what the 35's are set to)... as well as some other jetting.
      Someone had done that to my 33's - and made them 29's - but hadn't changed the needles. Which made them run like pigs... A mates old man who was a watchmaker by trade made me up some new ones on his hobby lathe at home - did a beautiful job on the threads - and I fitted them in. ... is all I can say.
      '07 Yamaha TTR 250 - Exercycle.
      '95 Ducati 900 SL - Duclattery
      '81 Suzuki/Yoshi GSX1135 ET/X - Yoshi
      '84 Suzuki McIntosh - Mac
      '74 Yamaha YZ125A - pain in the rrr's...

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
        So whats the HP you think at rear wheel?
        I dont know what the BHP is with the 1100cc kit, but when I was running the CR35mm carbs I had Kwak GPZ1170 pistions in it 78mm I think (which made a 1148cc big bore on the GS) and it was giving me 118BHP at the rear wheel but I had spent over £2000 on the motor. It was grate on the strates lodes of power and would go strate upto 150mph in a blink but since then and now got a chain drive as this was on the shatf I've been doing a bit of swoping about and gone down in cc and back to CV carbs on the shaft to make it a bit better alrounder and started bulding a chain driver motor with the nice bits

Why, why not LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Steveb64 View Post

You know that you can unscrew the front spigot of the CR's, and replace it with a smaller inner diameter? Then you could change your 35's to 33's... You may need (probably) to change the needles though (lean the upper range a bit from what the 35's are set to)... as well as some other jetting.
          Someone had done that to my 33's - and made them 29's - but hadn't changed the needles. Which made them run like pigs... A mates old man who was a watchmaker by trade made me up some new ones on his hobby lathe at home - did a beautiful job on the threads - and I fitted them in. ... is all I can say.
          Yes I know thanks, I like the 35mm as they can give a big increase over the 33mm but the 35mm can be a pain to set up
          I have had te GS1000g for about 20 years and it was my first GS1000 and I had done a lot of work on it over the years (it did start life as a GS850g LOL) and I must say its been off the road more than on over the last 10 years and as I want to use it more day to day I'm detuning it abit but buidling a chain drive motor for te other GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith View Post
            Yes I know thanks, I like the 35mm as they can give a big increase over the 33mm but the 35mm can be a pain to set up
            I have had te GS1000g for about 20 years and it was my first GS1000 and I had done a lot of work on it over the years (it did start life as a GS850g LOL) and I must say its been off the road more than on over the last 10 years and as I want to use it more day to day I'm detuning it abit but buidling a chain drive motor for te other GS1000
            Lol - sounds like you've got your workshop time all booked for a few more years...
            I've still got my GSX (bought it in '83) - looking kinda sad, stuck in the back of the shed for now. One day I'll drag it out (If my new business plan works out, I'll be able to afford to), and get it back in action again - but as a post-classic racer. Then the next project will be the bike in my avatar - which is also GSX11 powered. <sigh> One day...
            BTW - I got my 1100 (well 1135) to do a SS1/4 in 11.1 secs, and a timed 'flying 1/4' average (it was still accelerating through the 1/4 - with an 800 metre run up) of 143mph. And that was with a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket on it, for the SS1/4 runs. Gave a few of the guys with new bikes a big fright.
            And I used to use it as my regular ride. Actually, it was rather civilised, given the cams and bits that were in it. Even idled OK. Lumpy, but an idle.
            '07 Yamaha TTR 250 - Exercycle.
            '95 Ducati 900 SL - Duclattery
            '81 Suzuki/Yoshi GSX1135 ET/X - Yoshi
            '84 Suzuki McIntosh - Mac
            '74 Yamaha YZ125A - pain in the rrr's...

Comment

Working...
            X