forward controls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forward controls?

Are there any kits available for forward controls on our GS bikes? I have rather long legs, and think this may improve comfort.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Getting rid of the ladie's model would do more.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

expected

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Well, I expected that one. But, does anyone have info on forward controls?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Eh, don't mind tkent -- the mere mention of an L model GS makes him grumpy. We suspect some sort of L-related PTSD, maybe childhood trauma...

Although he does have a point -- the "standard" GS models have more leg room than the L models.

In any case, no one ever made a forward control kit, even back in the '80s.

I've seen a few very sketchy homemade forward control setups (lengths of rusty, bent all-thread, that sort of thing) and maybe one home-brewed setup that didn't look immediately frightening. I believe it might have been pieced together from assorted aftermarket bits scavenged from metric cruisers. Perhaps you could visit your local bike boneyard?

Lots of people have highway pegs mounted to their GS crash bars or frame, so perhaps that would be a good middle ground -- a place to stretch your legs when needed, but the controls are back where they belong, under your body.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I had a set of old Markley floor boards/controls for my CB750k. Certainly not made any longer.

Comment

There are some kits on ebay for about 140. You have to do the welding .
            Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2014, 07:15 PM.

Comment

There is some info on here. http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16124

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                I have rather long legs, and think this may improve comfort.
                Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                Although he does have a point -- the "standard" GS models have more leg room than the L models.
                Lots of people have highway pegs mounted to their GS crash bars or frame, so perhaps that would be a good middle ground -- a place to stretch your legs when needed, but the controls are back where they belong, under your body.
                I, too, belong to the "long leg" club.

I can verify there is more room on the G than on the GL. Click on the "Family Portrait" link in my signature, you will quickly see how I know.

I have spent many hours a day for consecutive days on my 850, with no problems. One trip was about 800 miles, a three-day trip around parts of New England, riding two-up. If that doesn't force a degree of discomfort, nothing will. We could have kept going, but we both had to get back to work.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X