850g big bore kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850g big bore kit

Does anyone know anybody that makes big bore kits for an 81 850g? Google has been a pain in my a$$ lately and refuses to bring up relevant search results. Thanks.

I've never heard of a big bore kit for the 850's. Only the 750's and the 1000's.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

It's called buying a 1000G or 1100G engine, carbs, and airbox (I think you need the driveshaft, too), and installing them in an 850G/GL frame.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
        Does anyone know anybody that makes big bore kits for an 81 850g? Google has been a pain in my a$$ lately and refuses to bring up relevant search results. Thanks.
        It's something I wondered about and it's a dead end, as I recall. 850 is the practical max for those barrels and that crank+cases. I don't think you can get a longer throw crank in those.
        I'd be happy to be proved wrong though, as I have a '79 engine in bits and if a longer throw crank would go, I'd look seriously at it.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

You can go custom as I have done. 71mm bore leaves a 2mm sleeve thickness.
          Really nice ride with extra CR too. Don't listen to the knockers.....it's worth doing.
          The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

The 850 clutch is marginal stock. The 1000G had many upgraded internals. And as cheap as 1100G engines are, i don't think it's worth the hassle.

Comment

As an alternative to gain HP is there a reasonable way to increase compression on these engines? I ran my DRZ400 at 12:1 and it definitely upped the ponies a bit. Of course I had to run 91 octane to avoid pinging.

Comment

I agree with the 1000G/1100G motor. I have a 1980 1000G with a 1983 1100G motor, and its a pretty nice ride. Always something on tap when you want it.

Your frame is the same as mine.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Back in the day... 870 and 920 kits were available for the 750/850 engines. Some, may still be out there.
                  Both Wiseco and J & E told me that they could simply replace the 18mm piston pins with 16mm piston pins in their 1000/1100 2-valve kits at no extra charge if someone wanted a larger kick-start GS.
                  Doesn't anyone know how to pick up a phone and call anyone these days?

Comment

Working...
                  X