Attention in the pits!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attention in the pits!!

I had some headwork done on my 80 gs 1100 over the winter. 1mm oversize intakes & some porting, new seals & guides etc.
    I've been running a 18/48 sprocket combo on the street. I used the 18 to make sure I have enough clearance on the Bandit swingarm. I raced it last year & found I was shifting into 4th gear a couple of hundred feet shy of the stripe. I want to do a few drag race weekends this summer & am thinking of going to a 17/52 combo for the track.

Thoughts? Advice?
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

530?
    Curt
    sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

17 divided by 52 is .326. i am pretty sure that is Ray's formula... I am running 15/48 and am in fifth before the stripe by about 150 feet... might go to 16/48...
      The reasoning is closest to .320 usuall will get you within spitting distance...
      Curt
      sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

perfect, thanks.
        80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

18/56 gets you .321
          18/55 gets you .327

Comment

Originally posted by ozman View Post
            18/56 gets you .321
            18/55 gets you .327
            ACTUALLY.....18/56 is 3.11 & 18/55 is 3.05
            Divide the rear tooth count by the front count to get the ratio. You need to be around 3.20 to get the shift light on in high gear about 100-150 feet before the finish line in a quarter mile. You will need 57 or 58 teeth on the rear with an 18 front sprocket. I run 15/48 but mine is 630.
            Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
              I had some headwork done on my 80 gs 1100 over the winter. 1mm oversize intakes & some porting, new seals & guides etc.
              I've been running a 18/48 sprocket combo on the street. I used the 18 to make sure I have enough clearance on the Bandit swingarm. I raced it last year & found I was shifting into 4th gear a couple of hundred feet shy of the stripe. I want to do a few drag race weekends this summer & am thinking of going to a 17/52 combo for the track.

Thoughts? Advice?
              no bars?
              better gear it to go through in 4 not 5..could be a handful leaving the line..

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                no bars?
                better gear it to go through in 4 not 5..could be a handful leaving the line..
                Not a problem if he has a lock up & extensions on the Bandit arm. Strapping the front will help too.
                Ray.

Comment

Nope, no bars, no lock up, no strap, just a guy looking to do a few race weekends this summer. If 17/52 takes me to redline in 4th through the traps, that would be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
                    Nope, no bars, no lock up, no strap, just a guy looking to do a few race weekends this summer. If 17/52 takes me to redline in 4th through the traps, that would be fine.
                    that's how i set up a true street bike.
                    shift light on before the traps but not hit the limiter before the stripe in 4th.

Comment

Working...
                    X