Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS 1000 engine in GSXR 1100 first gen frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1000 engine in GSXR 1100 first gen frame?

I'm tempted to build myself a XR41 replica and I was wondering if the GS 1000 engine would fit in a GSXR 1100 first gen frame?
    Here's what it should look like when done...
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

i had the same thought but havnt got around to finding the gsxr frame

built this instead

Comment

Originally posted by ozman View Post
      i had the same thought but havnt got around to finding the gsxr frame

built this instead

Ozman can you give us a little detail?

Frame?
      Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
      1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
      1977 GS400
      1974 Montesa 250
      1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Yeah. That thing is a work of art.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

I remember someone on the Aussie Streetfighters forum put an 1150 motor in a 750 slabbie. Not sure what frame mods were done, but it didn't look like the frame was modified.

It was a few years ago and I can't find the photos anymore.
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by Johno View Post
            Ozman can you give us a little detail?

Frame?

Harris F1 frame and swingarm
            harris triple clamps
            tank and bodywork by harris modded for twin headlights for road use
            bandit 1200 forks and wheels
            AP brakes
            1230 GSX motor
            acewell dash
            Ohlins shock and steering damper

Comment

Hi Ozman,
              Your bike looks great!
              I had a look at their frames (http://www.harris-performance.com/acatalog/F1.pdf) and it's very tempting for sure.
              The only issue is to get it road legal here in France...
              For that reason, buying a GSXR frame from an existing bike that has been registered is a good solution.
              Would it be possible to give us some detailed pictures of the rear suspension set-up?
              I noticed you used a Bandit 1200 fork as I did on my 1100 Kat: cheap but effective!
              On the cheap side you can also go from a Bandit 1200 I suppose

And here are the build details:http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=57473
              Last edited by John Kat; 01-15-2015, 01:56 PM.
              sigpicJohn Kat
              My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

we built 2 as road bikes, the other is in mike grants paint scheme

Comment

Originally posted by ozman View Post
                  we built 2 as road bikes, the other is in mike grants paint scheme

What are the main differences between the Trident XR 69 and the Harris F1?
                  sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

the harris is a larger bike can take most motors from the era CB1100 kawa 1000 or 1100 and gs1000 or gsx1100
                    the trident bike is a replica of the suzuki XR69 racebike made for the GS1000 engine you can fit a GSX1100 engine but its a tight fit requiring removal of the rocker cover to instal motor in frame
                    the other downside of trident is dealing with john simms he has a habit of taking peoples money telling alot of lies
                    after i had paid him 15000 pound it took me 2 years to get my XR69 out of him
                    there is numerous story of him doing the same to others as well plus he currently owes my about 3500 dollars for parts ive ordered and paid for but never received from him now he refuses to answer his phone or emails
                    just a lying prick to deal with nice bikes though

Comment

It's too easy to rob people that are 10000 miles away from you.
                      It happened to me once when ordering car parts from Japan...
                      It's a pity because I like the idea of a smaller bike like my ZX10R that feels just like a 600 until you open the throttle.
                      Next week I'm going to see the GSXR 1st gen frame that's for sale.
                      My hopes are low because I got some dimensions that clearly indicate that the frame is much shorter than the GS 1000's.
                      sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
                        It's a pity because I like the idea of a smaller bike like my ZX10R that feels just like a 600 until you open the throttle.
                        My hopes are low because I got some dimensions that clearly indicate that the frame is much shorter than the GS 1000's.

i was explaining this to another person last week about weight differences
                        the SB3 bimota feels like a 500 to ride so light and nimble but has the grunt of a 1000

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post

From experience building both models, yes, the GSXR1100 space available is too short for the GS motor. A guy here in NZ was talking about doing the same thing but using the first version GSXR400 frame which is visually a dead ringer for the XR69 alloy version. But it's even shorter...

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                            From experience building both models, yes, the GSXR1100 space available is too short for the GS motor. A guy here in NZ was talking about doing the same thing but using the first version GSXR400 frame which is visually a dead ringer for the XR69 alloy version. But it's even shorter...
                            In fact what could most probably(?) be done is to extend the beams under the tank and shorten the vertical beams to which there are attached to keep the headstock (?) at the same height.
                            The lower beams would have to be extended by the same amount.
                            Here's a picture of the frame: http://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_m...94.htm?ca=2_s#
                            As the main beams are hollow we just need to fabricate a "male to male" plug in aluminiun and weld it in place.
                            Sounds easy?
                            sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Sounds easy if you say it quick....Some serious jigging would be needed as distortion would be a major problem.

Personally, if I ever do a dedicated race frame for the GS1000 it'll be a copy of the Behn Monoshock. Can't do a link but google it. The dates surprised me.

Comment

Working...
                              X