Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS 1000 engine in GSXR 1100 first gen frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A final test to see if everything fits before making the lower rail extensions.
    There could be an issue with non-CV carbs but the engine will most probably sit a little lower in the frame.

sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

How long is it going to be for you to get a lower case for that engine????

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
        How long is it going to be for you to get a lower case for that engine????
        Too long to my liking but I found one today here in France.
        In the meantime, I've devised a jig to ensure the frame is straight when it gets welded.
        Still have to have it built however...
        sigpicJohn Kat
        My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

looking good there john

are you going to cut and lenghten the downtubes to get the bottom tubes to line up ?
          with cutting top rails and moving forward you are also moving up seems if you are lining up the tubes correctly you would need to do 4 cuts not 2

Comment

Originally posted by ozman View Post
            looking good there john

are you going to cut and lenghten the downtubes to get the bottom tubes to line up ?
            with cutting top rails and moving forward you are also moving up seems if you are lining up the tubes correctly you would need to do 4 cuts not 2
            You are right, except that I will connect the downtubes through a small Z to avoid two further cuts.
            In practice, it should be almost unoticeable.
            In fact adding two more cuts would introduce further issues as the sloping portion of the downtubes is not parallel...
            Here I've used the Keep It Simple adage to his fullest.
            sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

sounds like you have a plan, keep posting progress

Comment

I thought I heard it's not possible to join un matched case halfs, as they are line bored for the crank and transmission shafts.
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                  I thought I heard it's not possible to join un matched case halfs, as they are line bored for the crank and transmission shafts.
                  Quite right but I'm only using them as a jig to finalyse the fitting in the frame.
                  I want to get the bike complete before transplanting the engine from my GS 1000 XP.
                  sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Got it! Enjoying the build thread and all the hurdles.
                    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I got the frame reunited today as I got the bottom rails extensions back from the machinist.
                      As you can see there is a little step in these to cater for the lowering of the front end.
                      Good news for the bike's geometry.
                      By the end of the week I should get some GS 1000 engine cases I bought from Germany.
                      Another good news is that upper case engine mounts will most probably be reusable.
                      That much less to machine!

sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

The engine case finally got to me and in no time flat I had them positionned in the frame.
                        There is no big surprise except that there is still some work to do...
                        In fact the bottom rear of the engine case is just a little too wide to fit between the frame mounting brackets.
                        It must be a question of 1 or 2 mm each side that can be filed away.
                        As you will see in the pictures the engine is "attached" through the OEM front right upper mount.
                        Lenght wise it's almost bang on and within the latitude of my top frame extensions.

sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

It can be done
                          Not only can it be done but it can de done (almost) economically.
                          Of course it's not for the faint of heart as you have to cut a GSXR 1100 G/H chassis into two...
                          It's definitely a racing type bike as the fitting is very tight.
                          For instance the motor has to be assembled before going into the chassis.
                          Now I need to hire Valentino to test it out.
                          Next step is to design the gussets to hold the engine in place.
                          I will start with the top rear and the bottom front first as they will help align the engine in the frame.
                          Here's what it looks like so far:

sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

I've ordered the brackets to support the engine in the frame but I won't get them until mid april...
                            In the meantime, I checked that the GS 1000 OEM air box ( at least the front one) will easily fit in the frame AFTER installing the carbs.
                            Very good news indeed when using CV carbs.
                            In fact, I also checked to see if the VM carbs would fit and the answer is NO as they hit the top frame rails.
                            So CV carbs it will be!
                            I'm still devising a frame alignment set-up fixture but if anyone had a good idea, I would be interested.
                            So far, I'm contemplating using a laser beam that would be attached to the middle of the swingarm pivot and aimed towards the front of the bike.
                            At first I would lift the beam to strike the middle of the bottom triple tree and then lower it to illuminate the front wheel axle.
                            If it strikes it in the middle both times, the frame is straight!
                            sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Is there any way you can reduce the curve in the bottom rails to put straight joiners in rather than the Z piece?
                              Will the frame be welded and fixed or will it be dismantalable to unbolt the two halves, or a mix like one side fixed and the other removable to make the engine in and outable?
                              sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                                Is there any way you can reduce the curve in the bottom rails to put straight joiners in rather than the Z piece?
                                Will the frame be welded and fixed or will it be dismantalable to unbolt the two halves, or a mix like one side fixed and the other removable to make the engine in and outable?
                                Hi Chris,
                                It would be difficult to "straighten" the downtubes in order to align the bottom rails in my opinion.
                                All tubes will be welded to get maximum rigidity.
                                Suzuki took care of introducing the engine in the frame of the OEM GSXR chassis as the bottom right rail is bolted in place.
                                I will keep this feature on my frame.
                                sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Working...
                                X