Catalytic converters on Katana 1100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catalytic converters on Katana 1100?

I'm so happy with my restomod Kat that I'm wondering if I could add some catalytic converters to my exhaust pipes?
    The reason beeing that as I ride most of the time with my wife riding her own Triumph Street Triple R, she gets intoxicated by the exhaust fumes...
    I know that cat converters must run within a specified AFR range but if they are not too expensive who cares if one has to change them now and then?
    Any experience out there?
    Who are the main suppliers?
    Happy New Year to all of you!
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

They only work in a very narrow AFR range produced by EFI.
    there maybe some brenefit, but doubt it would last long.

you should consider an EFI upgrade if serious.

Comment

If theres that many fumes, you might consider leaning the carbs out some?
      1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
        If theres that many fumes, you might consider leaning the carbs out some?
        And WBO2.......

Comment

heh, the diff between euros and yanks, you guys try to add cats, we delete them!
          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Sounds like a fun project. Hopefully you can find some cheap takeoff cats to try. Even if they aren't super efficient it should be an improvement.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Cool idea. My V7 has Cats. I was quite surprised by this, as I always thought of the big chunky units on cars when it came to cats.

AFR is not the primary concern for cats, but rather temperature and O₂ levels of the exhaust gases. AFR is 'just' a means to achieve the correct conditions.

I'd look into an EFI mod as well, no use in hacking up the exhausts just to shift pollution from air to landfill.
              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
                I'm so happy with my restomod Kat that I'm wondering if I could add some catalytic converters to my exhaust pipes?
                The reason beeing that as I ride most of the time with my wife riding her own Triumph Street Triple R, she gets intoxicated by the exhaust fumes...…..
                The easiest and simplest solution is to let your wife on her ST3R ride in front of you!
                1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

If the end goal is making life a little more pleasant for your wife, running the exhaust through a catalytic converter would not help much -- it would still be highly unpleasant and possibly even more unpleasant than raw exhaust. Lots of sulfur dioxide, for example (rotten egg smell). And an interesting stew of lots of other half-burned and half-converted hydrocarbons, oxides, acids, etc.

Plus, running rich exhaust from a carbureted engine through a cat makes it really REALLY hot. Like, glowing red hot. If you remember the early days of catalytic converters when carburetors with sticky automatic chokes still roamed the earth, you might be familiar with this. It was actually pretty dangerous at times.

Still, it's a pretty interesting question.

And you have to wonder what might happen if you tried to adapt an existing fuel injection system with O2 sensor, cats, and all the rest (like from a Bandit GSF1250) to an older air-cooled engine.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

oh, and what about motorcycle oil? "Car oil" is now specific to cat converters...don't I remember that the "old" oil was rotting out the cat-converters and so they changed it to be death to our sump-oil clutches?...(oboy- an oil thread!)

Comment

It is hard to separate a Catalytic converter from EFI. You can run EFI without a CAT, but not the other way around.

After telling you just how valuable and expensive catalytic converters are, I felt that it’s only fair to tell you how most people murder them and all of the warning signs to let you know what’s happening before they quietly lay down and die.

roeme
                      AFR is not the primary concern for cats, but rather temperature and O₂ levels of the exhaust gases. AFR is 'just' a means to achieve the correct conditions.
                      I'm not sure what the relevance of this statement is. Sure temperature and O2 ranges are commensurate with proper AFR, but most modern CAT systems have a lambda (WB02) sensor at both the inlet and the outlet as part of tight AFR control around the CAT. AFR is the primary control variable plain and simple and while I can't find a reference at the moment, but as I recall there is a very narrow band (for example) 14.7+/- 0.2 that is required to maintain conversion efficiency.

A typical CV carb AFR is lucky to be within 11<AFR<13 and it is jetted rich just to prevent predestination so you are never even close to the 14.7 optimum.

Comment

Cat's hit the market back in 1976, long before EFI was popular. I'm not saying that there are not compromises involved, but saying carb's and Cat's can's coexist is incorrect.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          AFR is the primary control variable plain and simple and while I can't find a reference at the moment, but as I recall there is a very narrow band (for example) 14.7+/- 0.2 that is required to maintain conversion efficiency.
                          As far as I know there are two types of AFR sensors: the narrow band with the kind of tolerance you state and the wideband (more expensive) type that's used with AEM type ECU's and AFR meters.
                          The car guys state that the cat converters will die if the AFR goes below a 11 to 1 ratio.
                          Wikipedia has a good article on the subject: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter
                          sigpicJohn Kat
                          My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                          GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
                            As far as I know there are two types of AFR sensors: the narrow band with the kind of tolerance you state and the wideband (more expensive) type that's used with AEM type ECU's and AFR meters.
                            The car guys state that the cat converters will die if the AFR goes below a 11 to 1 ratio.
                            Wikipedia has a good article on the subject: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter
                            narrow band is like a dot matrix printer(old), with today’s electronics most things you buy will be WBO2

Comment

Actually narrow band O2 is like a single dot. In reality it's like only checking for a zero crossing at stoichiometric (14.7) A/F ratio. There's a little resolution near that crossing point but not much. WBO2 is the only way to go if tuning using O2. Much more linear through a wide A/F range. There are a few DIY WBO2 sensors on the market for cheap. Only use one that's preheated as they need a certain amount of heat to work properly.

As for carbs and CATs, they can be used together but the CATs must be located as close to the heads as possible and a air injection system is pretty much a must.

Back to the original poster... If she's running rich enough to stink that bad, you need to consider doing a proper tune. Something's amiss if the exhaust fumes are that bad.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                              X