No announcement yet.

GS1100GL Camshaft options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread and others have convinced me to leave the bike stock with the possible exception of the exhaust system. There are just too many other components that become questionable beyond stock power. This has certainly been a learning experience for me, and a surprise considering my previously held belief that GSs are overbuilt.
    1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

Comment

Originally posted by Longitudinal View Post

Here is the best pic I can take. The yellow arrow points to the place where I believe interference would occur if the base circle becomes small enough. Unfortunately, the eye can see more than the camera can.

Personally, I don't think there will be any interference.

The height of the bucket won't change. It sits on the valve, which will be unchanged.

Because grinding the base circle on the cam will open up some clearance, you will need thicker shims, but the bucket won't move.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Personally, I don't think there will be any interference.

The height of the bucket won't change. It sits on the valve, which will be unchanged.

Because grinding the base circle on the cam will open up some clearance, you will need thicker shims, but the bucket won't move.

If it is true that a regrind does not require a longer valve and instead only a thicker shim, you are probably right if the shim can rise up beside that thrust flange. ...But that is more reciprocating mass for the springs to push out of the way of the closing valve.
        1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

Comment

Working...
        X