Sound of a Delkevic 4:1 - A few people asked for this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
    Never owned a Delkevic, but it sounds good to me, I'm kind'f addicted to the 4 into 1 sound, love them all. But the only one that really stands out, to me, was the old Yosh. 4 into 1 with the 3" collector, you could recognize that sound as far as you could hear them. Got one out in the garage, took it off cause couldn't have a center stand & had to remove to change the oil. Aggravating, but gosh they sure sound unique.
    Yeah I had one of those Yosh pipes a few years ago. Sounded great but it was a pain come oil change time for sure! Also agreed on the Centre stand. I like the Marving. I would say the sound is as good as the Yosh. Certainly better than the V&H. The supertrap on Joe Nardy's 1100 sounded pretty good when I rode it too
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      OEM to Delkevic at a pulling it out of my *ss guess, Delkevic is about 1/4 of the weight.
      I'm working on my own 1100G today, took the OEM exhaust off and weighed it: 36lb 6oz.
      After looking at that weight, I'm motivated to buy a 4:1 system.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I don't have the box it came in any more but it would be less than half of that I'm sure...

On Amazon they list the shipping weight as 10lbs... wouldn't be far off.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I think that sounds just right.. I have an original Harris with the race baffle on my GS1000 that also has a fruity roar, my wife and the dogs know when I'm coming up the street......
          Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

That sounds lovely to me!

A friend has a 78 550 with 4 into 1 exhaust. I've always thought her bike sounded far nicer than my bike with stock exhaust.
            Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
            2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
              I'm working on my own 1100G today, took the OEM exhaust off and weighed it: 36lb 6oz.
              After looking at that weight, I'm motivated to buy a 4:1 system.
              I went with a Hindle 4 into 2 into 1 on advice of my mechanic, better midrange for everyday riding than a 4 into 1. Hindle claims a 5hp gain my mechanic backed that up. Only downside was losing the center stand.

The weight saving was a shock compared the oem monsters, I think they were 9 lbs. The exchange(plus center stand) brought the 1150's 524 lb dry weight under 500 lbs. More power and less weight is always a good combination!
              1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

This thread is about the GS1100G.
                Looked up Hindle Exhaust Systems and they don't have the GS1100G or any GS listings.
                I'm thinking about removing the center stand as well.
                Would like a wheel jack that fit the GS shafties, bummer the center stand don't lift the axle high enough to get the wheel and tire out EZ. We have to wrestle it out…meh!!!
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                  This thread is about the GS1100G.
                  Looked up Hindle Exhaust Systems and they don't have the GS1100G or any GS listings.
                  I'm thinking about removing the center stand as well.
                  Would like a wheel jack that fit the GS shafties, bummer the center stand don't lift the axle high enough to get the wheel and tire out EZ. We have to wrestle it out…meh!!!
                  Hindle does make GS headers, look under their VINTAGE category. I bought my Hindle 4-2-1 from Ripple Rock Racers, Hindle makes GS headers exclusively for them https://www.ripplerockracers.com/pro...o-fit-1980-85/ .

I'm not familiar with the shafties but how is the 1100G significantly different than an GS1100 other than the shaft? There are only two mounting points, at the head which will be the same and at the peg/brake hanger which could be slightly different. I found the rear hanger mounting system to be too tight and the can rubs on the hanger so I'm fabricating a new mounting bar that secures it that will be 1 inch longer.

Send them an email and ask them I found them to be very helpful.

Changing the rear wheel will be a pain without the center stand but I've improvised a hoisting system with two ratchet tie down straps above my table for removal of the front end. Held it up for two weeks while the forks were away being rebuilt.
                  Last edited by wyly; 03-08-2020, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Ok, did not see that menu. Looks very good!

Comment

I'll need to remove the headers for an oil change but removing the Hindles is easy, one bolt at the hanger and 7 springs, a couple minutes at most.
                      I also have remove a belly pan but it's a once a year job so it's not an issue.

Comment

Wow, that sounds pretty good! Thanks for the quality video, it's hard to tell what something sounds like when they use a potato to make the recording.
                        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                        - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

I loooooovvvvvveeeee Delkevic... Their pipes are AWESOME... Vance & Hines stopped selling the standard road (non-drag-bike) pipes for our bikes shortly after the stainless steel Delkevics came out for only $50 or so more initially than the chromed steel V&H... I wondered if Delkevic's quality & bargain price made V&H sales drop so much that they halted production???
                          '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                          '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                          '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                          '79 GS425stock
                          PROJECTS:
                          '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                          '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                          '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                          '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by kochic View Post
                            The diameter of the baffle is small on the Delkevic, there are not that loud.
                            Are you making a complete new baffle?
                            Marc
                            Depends on the engine setup, & the pipe... larger smoothbore carbs make it noticeably louder, as do K&N air filters...
                            My main point is that the megaphone style muffler can has a HUGE baffle opening, like 37mm iirc, whereas the straight diameter upswept roadrace style has a much smaller baffle opening diameter. I have both styles. The megaphone has some SERIOUS authoritative tone! The roadrace version isn't quite as loud, but also has a very nice tone & looks cooler for my tastes at least, and according to people I've blasted past at excessive speeds (they greeted me as I was packing up at my next gas stop), even the smaller roadrace style muffler/baffle has quite the throaty mean aggressive howl at 7000+rpm...lol
                            Last edited by Chuck78; 03-15-2020, 10:37 PM.
                            '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                            '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                            '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                            '79 GS425stock
                            PROJECTS:
                            '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                            '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                            '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                            '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

An incredible deal at $325 shipped compared to what else is out there. Stainless vs. not is a clincher. I got one for my 1100e. They pretty much cover the entire GS range now with the same pipe and different mounting brackets
                              sigpic
                              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                              1983 GS1100e
                              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                              1980 GS1260
                              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                                Nessism & I fired up my rebuilt 1100G for the first time this weekend.. a few teething problems & intermittent on cyl 4 (blocked carb passage I think) but doesn't affect the noisemaker. Click the pic for video (excuse the mess!)

GS1100G Delkovic by salty_monk, on Flickr
                                Ooooh that sounded good. 🤩😀

Comment

Working...
                                X