No announcement yet.

H4 headlight upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Steve. The conversion housing is on the way from Whitney and I'll grab a pair of 9003's locally when it comes in. More functional parts for the ugly ratbike... Someday it might actually get some attention to become more socially acceptable too:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve
      I have purchased MANY things from Whitney through the years and have found a wide variety of quality.
      I haven't purchased from JC Whitney, but I worry about the quality of their products whenever they send me their e-flyer that touts miracle gas-saving products that I (and the FTC and EPA) know don't work.

Comment

Yeah, I tend to laugh at those too. On the other hand, for 60% of the price I'm willing to gamble once.

Comment

As with most things it's a question of educating yourself and purchasing things that are "difficult" to screw up. I believe that JC Whitney sells many fine products, but they also tend to sell the "doodads" that most people know better than to buy.

I'm guessing the light you buy will prove to be of decent quality, but I'll look forward to getting the "411" once you've received it.

Regards,
          Steve 8)

Comment

Will do. It's being ground shipped so I probably won't have it until at least the end of next week. Once I get it, I'll actually come up with the hardware to probably mount the headlamp assembly (at the moment it's missing two of the three screws and angles off to one side). Right now, the light is bad on low beam and even worse on high - I can't wait to have a real working headlight!

Comment

So much for end of next week, the package was on my desk before 9am this morning. I'll try to install it on my lunch break and see how it looks. FYI, it came with a bulb although I don't remember it being advertised as including one. Not bad for $17.

edit: Looks good, install was as simple as it could be. I had the old one out and the new unit in its place in about 15 minutes, all while talking to a friend with a cell phone in one hand. Plugged right in and fired up. I'll post about light output tonight or tomorrow (this is with the included bulb, not a Silverstar).

Comment

Originally posted by fastpakr
                Not bad for $17.
                Please confirm where that one came from. Does it seem durable?

Comment

It was from JC Whitney. I didn't see anything to complain about quality wise.

Comment

I just looked at the JC Whitney site and saw the H4 conversion. I'm quite interested in replacing my sealed unit, but I'm running a 1980 GS850GL w/o any sort of fairing.

I just have the standard OEM headlamp housing. The JC Whitney site says "NOTE: 5-3/4" round headlight fits fairing mounts only; will not fit in OEM headlight case." Seems pretty clear to me, but is there any way around this?

Comment

Does the 850 not come with the standard 7" housing? That's what mine had.

Comment

Originally posted by j2x
                        I just looked at the JC Whitney site and saw the H4 conversion. I'm quite interested in replacing my sealed unit, but I'm running a 1980 GS850GL w/o any sort of fairing.

I just have the standard OEM headlamp housing. The JC Whitney site says "NOTE: 5-3/4" round headlight fits fairing mounts only; will not fit in OEM headlight case." Seems pretty clear to me, but is there any way around this?
                        You're looking at the wrong H4 conversion ... JC Whitney sells several items, depending on what you have on the bike ... you obviously want the 7". Also, not all fairings use the smaller one you're looking at. My Vetter Windjammer uses the same 7" unit as my bike...

Here's the link to the one you want...

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

Regards,
                        Steve 8)

Comment

That was the one I was looking at... 55-Watt H-4 Halogen Cycle Headlight, 7" Round- Item #ZX139314A.

It says at the end of it's product description: "NOTE: 5-3/4" round headlight fits fairing mounts only; will not fit in OEM headlight case."

Comment

Ah, no worries. It's a generic description, they also sell a 5 3/4" headlight - that statement doesn't apply to the 7" version.

click here
                            Makes more sense if you look at that link

Comment

I saw that disclaimer too, but figured you had seen the 7" designation at the bottom ... in any case, not to worry -- you apparently found the one you need!

Regards,
                              Steve 8)

Comment

I still need to fine tune the aim a bit, but light output is already dramatically better than what I had before. Add that to cheaper replacement bulbs (that can be installed easier and are small enough to carry a spare) and there's NO REASON not to switch. I can't wait to try a Silverstar.

Comment

Working...
                                X