Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fastpakr
    I can't wait to try a Silverstar.
    Pepboys has a sale going this week that includes a great deal on a pair of Silverstar bulbs! I'm going to check it out and see if they have the various kinds I need.

You won't be disappointed with the Silverstar investment!!

Regards,
    Steve 8)

Comment

Thanks, I'll look them up. Of course, the $1500 repair on the MB and a new riding jacket for my fiance may hold me up for a little while...

Comment

I purchased the CRC2 light as I stated and recieved it within 2 days. Very easy to install and seems to be of good quality. The plug connected right up. The only problem was adding some electrical tape spacers to keep the light tight after turning the retaining ring. Not a big deal and it is very stable now. Thanks for all of the input.
        Jason

Comment

Did the CRC2 light have a brand name on it? I'd be curious to see if they're selling the same unit.

Comment

I lost my low beam on the NY trip last week. Should I just find another stock bulb for it or is there some other route that is better? I have always been happy with the sealed beam on my 78 GS1000 bikes. I need the lowest cost solution. I though I would post in here rather than starting another thread since this is the subject here.

And if stock, were is the best place to get a new headlamp for my bike?

Comment

Mark, the H4 upgrade is only $17 plus shipping. It lets you carry a spare, replacement bulbs are cheaper and can be bought in any auto parts store, etc... Why even consider sticking with the sealed beam unit?

Comment

Originally posted by fastpakr
                Mark, the H4 upgrade is only $17 plus shipping. It lets you carry a spare, replacement bulbs are cheaper and can be bought in any auto parts store, etc... Why even consider sticking with the sealed beam unit?

hmmm

So is this the one I want then for my bike?
                Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

Comment

If you just have the generic 7" round unit like my 750 does, then that's it. Easy swap with improved lightput as soon as you're done. With the small size you can just throw a spare in a protective case (I need to grab a spare bulb and see what fits... film canister?).

Of course, somewhere recently I found a place selling an HID conversion for like $300 or $400 bucks, if you REALLY want to spend some money.

Comment

Thx for the info. I'll be getting one. Cheap is good. I don't really care about the brightness. The old bulb was fine for me.

Comment

Mark, once you go H4 and eventually Silverstar, stock will NEVER be good enough for you ... the difference is THAT dramatic!

Enjoy,
                      Steve 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy
                        Mark, once you go H4 and eventually Silverstar, stock will NEVER be good enough for you ... the difference is THAT dramatic!

Enjoy,
                        Steve 8)
                        I have to agree with Steve on this. This is a safety issue and IMHO $20 or $25 bucks that could save your life isn't worth scrimping on.

Joe
                        IBA# 24077
                        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

By the way, Joe, I finally discovered the "difference" between a Silverstar motorcycle H4 bulb and their automotive 9003/H4 (I happen to use the automotive 9003's myself). I went to Pepboys to take advantage of the aforementioned sale and put the two packages next to each other.

The 9003's have a bluish coating that apparently gives it a HID look ... the motorcycle H4 was clear. Whether there is an advantage to the bluing I don't know, but there is definitely a premium to be paid for the coating ... the single motorcycle H4 (they only sell them in singles for obvious reasons) was less than half the SALE price of the 9003 twinpack.

I'm going to have to reconsider in the future whether to buy the 9003's (I have three spares now so it'll be awhile) when the H4 is so much less expensive (and still a Silverstar).

Regards,
                          Steve 8)

Comment

Steve,

I think the H4 also has a stronger filament and support to deal with the added vibration of motorcycles, kind of like a rough service light bulb for trouble lights. Regardless, I havent blown a 9003 in several years of use.

Joe
                            IBA# 24077
                            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

This is interesting... I just got back from Advance Auto Parts to get a Silverstar. They have the 9003 in twin packs for about $37, and both the H4 and the 9003 in single packs for the exact sime price of about $20. I didn't notice the coating difference, but I did see that the wattage rating is different. The motorcycle H4 is 45/65, but the 9003 is 55/60. For some reason though, I think I remember the Sylvania website listing them both as 55/60? Not sure, I'll have to go back and confirm that.

Comment

I have run a H4 unit in my bikes since the late 70s. Never had a problem with bulb life. Have also used higher wattage bulbs with good success, although they will get a bit hot around town, so the nrmal wattage is probably better. A 130/90 really lights up your day

Comment

Working...
                                X