No announcement yet.

Removing the stator cover tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my answer wasn't the one you were looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeckler
      So my answer wasn't the one you were looking for?

Sorry - no cigar.

Terry

Comment

I just read six pages of stator cover madness and I now have to go to bed wondering why there are holes in my plugs. Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by TheNose
          Okay, Mr. Nerd. Take the slide rule off your belt and figure this one out. I originally asked it on Nov. 11 in this thread.

I asked the head of the physics department at Texas A&M this question and he could not give me an answer. A few years later, a guy came by my house with an old friend and even though he had no reason to know the answer, he told me the answer. Here's the question. Why do the prongs on an electrical plug have holes in them? I'm talking about the regular AC plugs like on any household appliance.

Terry
          Terry, You just won't let it die will ya!!!! I have no clue why they are there!

Hap

Comment

Sorry Hap. I was hoping you could confirm what I was told by that guy.

Here's what I was told.

The holes let the flux lines form around the tip of the prong in concentric circles. This prevents arcing when you insert the plug into the socket.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Comment

This prevents arcing when you insert the plug into the socket.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
              There's nothing like a good arcing combined with a decent gas leak....

Reminds me of the guy that jumped out of an airplane:
              He couldn't get his parachute to open up. He tried and tried, pulled every cable he could find, but nothing worked.
              On his way down, he notices a guy flying upwards 8O
              As they pass eachother, he asks: "Hey, do you know anything about parachutes?"
              The other one answers: "No, but I know a lot about gas stoves!" 8O

Comment

:twisted: I am trying real hard not to reply again to this thread......! :twisted:

Comment

Sorry Hap. I was hoping you could confirm what I was told by that guy.

Here's what I was told.

The holes let the flux lines form around the tip of the prong in concentric circles. This prevents arcing when you insert the plug into the socket.

Yeah...120V arcing...flux lines... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Did he say anything about corona suppression? :roll:

Good to see you posting again Terry!!!

Hap

Comment

Did he say anything about corona suppression? :roll:

Hap
                    No, nothing about corona suppression - but we may have been drinking a few at the time.

Terry

Comment

I don't buy this theory. First off, if flux lines are formed around the holes, then there is already current flow and the arcing problem that this is supposed to suppress has already expired.

Second, I think he's full of B.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
                        I don't buy this theory. First off, if flux lines are formed around the holes, then there is already current flow and the arcing problem that this is supposed to suppress has already expired.

Second, I think he's full of B.S.
                        I'm with you on that one!

Hap

Comment

I am sure I have the right answer!!! It has to do with speed.

If you take all that electricity from the wide expanse of the blade, and put in a hole, you effectively squeeze it into tiny little parts along the edges, and you create a venturi effect. That speeds up the flow, thereby making the electricity flow faster on one side than the other.

I learned all this at a Harley shop when I saw exactly this set-up in their exhaust pipes!
                          "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I am REALLY having a hard time now!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

All that's fine and dandy, but what about in-rush current, core saturation, and eddy currents? Not to mention the 7th ring of hell, harmonic phase distortion

Comment

Can't believe this thread got moved to this forum. I guess Frank was as amused by it as some of the rest of us.

Comment

Working...
                                X