No announcement yet.

Rectifier/Regulator replacement list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, so this is a 23 page thread, and I can feel my brain burning through the top of my head, so would anyone be kind enough to tell me which lead on my R/R is the positive and which is the negative? Also, since my bike (79 GS1000E) has a separate regulator and rectifier, is there anything I need to bear in mind when wiring it in, like some circuitous wiring from the old setup that needs disconnecting? Please remember to explain things to me as though you were speaking to a somewhat dull child, as I am not the most brilliant crayon in the box.

Comment

Originally posted by burp reynolds View Post
      Ok, so this is a 23 page thread, and I can feel my brain burning through the top of my head, so would anyone be kind enough to tell me which lead on my R/R is the positive and which is the negative? Also, since my bike (79 GS1000E) has a separate regulator and rectifier, is there anything I need to bear in mind when wiring it in, like some circuitous wiring from the old setup that needs disconnecting? Please remember to explain things to me as though you were speaking to a somewhat dull child, as I am not the most brilliant crayon in the box.
      Hi,

Post a new thread in the new electrical section. You'll probably get a better response.

It depends on which r/r you have, stock? 5 wire? 6 wire? 7 wire? Honda? Normally the red is the hot, the black is the ground, and the yellow wires connect to the stator. If you have more than five wires and different color wires, then all bets are off.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2010, 09:19 PM.

Comment

List updated slightly

Comment

I finally fired up the bike and tested the FH008 I installed 5 months ago... geez this has taken forever..

12.85v with the bike off.
          13.95v at idle
          14.05v at 3k.. I can live with that..

Comment

Originally posted by sschering View Post
            I finally fired up the bike and tested the FH008 I installed 5 months ago... geez this has taken forever..

12.85v with the bike off.
            13.95v at idle
            14.05v at 3k.. I can live with that..
            Dare I ask what took 5 months?

It would be best to know what voltage is a 5K RPM. unless you never get that high?

With a dirty connection usually on the positive side the voltage could drop further at 5K.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              Dare I ask what took 5 months?

It would be best to know what voltage is a 5K RPM. unless you never get that high?

With a dirty connection usually on the positive side the voltage could drop further at 5K.
              I'll take a reading when I get a chance..

As for why it took 5 months.. Time , money (mostly time I never have) and a never ending series of PO messes to clean up..

I'm sure it'll see the high side of 5k a few times a day
              Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2010, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Just bumping this thread... it's got a lot of useful info, but I had a hard time finding it just now...
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Amazing thread...

So if I had to choose, FH012AA or FH010bA?

Comment

Updated some Yamaha field regulation types

Comment

Just so you know, that list is not written in stone. I put a reg/rec out of a mid 90s KLR 650 into an 84 GS750E and it's quite happy in there. It is a six wire so it's connected to switched positive in the usual fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by aaron74 View Post
                        Just so you know, that list is not written in stone. I put a reg/rec out of a mid 90s KLR 650 into an 84 GS750E and it's quite happy in there. It is a six wire so it's connected to switched positive in the usual fashion.
                        Not sure I understand what you are saying?
                        The purpose of the list is to enable people to interchange R/R's more easily.......

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                          Not sure I understand what you are saying?
                          The purpose of the list is to enable people to interchange R/R's more easily.......
                          aaron74 just wanted to let everybody know that he had now arrived

Comment

Wow, just.. wow!

What an epic thread.
                            I think I've pulled a muscle in my head.

So now the question I have is do I get the FH012AA for the 750?
                            Or do I talk to Duaneage and try to sweet talk him into sending a Honda unit over to Australia...
                            Hmmm.. Ponderings.

A lot of this has gone over my head but some has stuck.
                            I'm leaning towards the Honda unit for price and, as far as I can figure, ease of fitment.

Thank you gents for the info.
                            I'm off to PM Duaneage..

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
                              Wow, just.. wow!

What an epic thread.
                              I think I've pulled a muscle in my head.

So now the question I have is do I get the FH012AA for the 750?
                              Or do I talk to Duaneage and try to sweet talk him into sending a Honda unit over to Australia...
                              Hmmm.. Ponderings.

A lot of this has gone over my head but some has stuck.
                              I'm leaning towards the Honda unit for price and, as far as I can figure, ease of fitment.

Thank you gents for the info.
                              I'm off to PM Duaneage..
                              the Honda has a very low incidence of burned stators.

Comment

Thanks Pos,
                                I did skip a few pages here and there..

The only FH12s I could find on eBay are all around the $110 mark with connectors. Plus up to $40 postage..
                                I'm trying to put this bike back together as cheaply as possible to prove a point to myself...

As I said, epic thread and the work you guys have put in is nothing short of amazing.

Comment

Working...
                                X