Rectifier/Regulator replacement list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Normk View Post
    My impression of South Africa is that the climate is quite dry with lower corrosion than in most of Europe or Canada/USA. Would this be correct?
    You are correct, but corrosion still happens here as well, as we have some wetter areas and 30 years is a long time! Fortunately we do not have roads covered in salt during winter and snow is quite scarce as well.

As the photos show, the parts that were enclosed in the potting compound showed no signs of similar corrosion.
    I have a few more faulty ones in a box and if I am bored one day I will open another of the same vintage.

Comment

First post

I just got my 1983 GS750 running and I would say this forum is really helpful. After reading all the post about rectifier.regulator I feel all is well covered.

I would like to add that a R/R from a 2002 GSXR600 will work on these bike. I bought mine from someone who crashed his bike so I know its in working condition. Wiring is pretty straight forward with the 3 black solid wire to the 3 stator wires and the blk/wht to ground and blk/red to positive. The reading from my voltmeter is 12.68 at idle to 13.7 to 14.2 at almost full sing. I cant post the RPM reading since the tachometer is shot. The R/R is 2x as big as the original R/R so I was forced to put it behind the battery between the inner fender. The heat coming from the unit is not significant even with almost 20 mins of idling. I dont know how hot it will get on real driving.

Hope this help to all those who are also trying to find a suitable R/R.

By the way, when I got my bike the CDI was out including the headlight, taillight etc. Guess it got burned because of the faulty R/R which was putting out almost 14.7 at idle and up to 16v on throttle. Watch out!!!

Comment

rainman73 said "By the way, when I got my bike the CDI was out including the headlight, taillight etc. Guess it got burned because of the faulty R/R which was putting out almost 14.7 at idle and up to 16v on throttle. Watch out"

Mr. pmong (in electrical forum) could have used this info a few days back! Anyways, don't get confident- check all your connections especially between R/R and battery and grounds to ensure they are secure. Follow the link to Basscliff's site for info overload- or just wait till he discovers you!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

For those looking for an FET on the cheap, search ebay using the terms "honda forman regulator"...

Get the best deals for Honda Foreman Regulator at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

I believe these are Shindengen FH-009 FET units as previously discussed. They can be easily found for around $30 shipped. I believe they have plenty of capacity for our GS charging systems, and are much cheaper than some of the other FH model units. The extra spade terminal in the output side terminal is NOT a sense wire connection (I verified). Not sure what it is though. I've installed a couple of these now and just left that terminal open.

Andre, please forgive me for making this suggestion but you might want to boil down your thread to make it easier for people to navigate. I'd go so far as to recommend people search out these Forman R/R's since they are robust and cheap. Choice is yours of course since it's your thread though.

I love finding cheap, but quality, solutions to the various GS issues.

Keep going...
          Last edited by Nessism; 02-04-2012, 10:43 AM.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for the remind Ed.A freind got me one for my 85 750.With your help it's been happily regulating awayGoing to need one for the 1000.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I found an R/R from an '83 GL1100 on ebay. From what
              I can tell on the list it is compatible, can anyone confirm?

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                I found an R/R from an '83 GL1100 on ebay. From what
                I can tell on the list it is compatible, can anyone confirm?
                Yes, it should work.

Comment

Just found one of these on ebay
                  Honda TRX300, Fourtrax300 88-92 Shindengen SH532B-12 12V 35 Amps rating

I have an '81 gs550 will this work?

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                    Just found one of these on ebay
                    Honda TRX300, Fourtrax300 88-92 Shindengen SH532B-12 12V 35 Amps rating

I have an '81 gs550 will this work?
                    Most likely, can you see from pic that it has 3 yellow wires, plus at least 3 other wires, like green, red, and a black or brown? The "B" after "SH532" must be a revision.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Scratch that lol. I ended up buying a fh-012aa MOSFET style from a newer r1.

Comment

There is an FH009 on EBay for $20 right now... From a Foreman.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                          There is an FH009 on EBay for $20 right now... From a Foreman.
                          this was the only result i got from searching for fh009

Comment

Originally posted by the schwartz View Post
                            this was the only result i got from searching for fh009
                            Don't get fixated on one particular unit- there's lots of R/R's that will work well for under $20.
                            1981 gs650L

Comment

I have a question for you folks.........I have a 82 1100EZ, just put in a new o.e.m wireing harness, I have a new Rick's stator to install & a new Rick's R/R going in as well! All the ground connections are good! How long will this last?? What should I watch out for?
                              Thanks
                              sigpicIt wasnt me! I didnt do it! You cant prove anything!
                              82 1100EZ

Comment

Also, what do guys think of Rick's Motorsport Electrics product??
                                sigpicIt wasnt me! I didnt do it! You cant prove anything!
                                82 1100EZ

Comment

Working...
                                X