Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaft or Chain... that's the question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    Have you ever actually put 5.8 gallons into your 1100's tank?
    I have put 5.8 gallons in the tank of my 82 1100E once. I distinctly remember it because it was half a mile up a slight incline to get to the f####ng pump from where it ran out, and a dozen or so H-D's passed me laughing and waving while I was pushing. Because of the way the tank and the filler opening is designed, you really have to work to get the last half gallon in there, rocking the bike side to side gently to get the air pockets out. I used to do that when traveling to make sure I was filling the tank to a consistent level for tracking my gas mileage.
    JP
    1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
    1992 Concours
    2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
    2007 FJR

Comment

Originally posted by jpaul View Post
      I have put 5.8 gallons in the tank of my 82 1100E once. I distinctly remember it because it was half a mile up a slight incline to get to the f####ng pump from where it ran out, and a dozen or so H-D's passed me laughing and waving while I was pushing. Because of the way the tank and the filler opening is designed, you really have to work to get the last half gallon in there, rocking the bike side to side gently to get the air pockets out. I used to do that when traveling to make sure I was filling the tank to a consistent level for tracking my gas mileage.
      I guess I'll buy that, rocking from side to side to get the last half gallon in.

It didn't start oozing out the filler cap vent when you set it upright and rode off? If I fill my 1000G up too far, it will do that, and make a big mess on the tank (and in my crotch area if I don't see it coming and move back on the seat).

And yeah, when my brother ran out of gas on his 1100EZ, that tank was bone-azz dry.
      sigpic

SUZUKI:
      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        It's MUCH easier than on a chain bike. Nothing to align or adjust when you reinstall. To pull the rear wheel, yank the axle (which usually requires undoing the top shock bolts, same as chain drive bikes with stock exhausts), undo brake torque arm bolt, and you're done.

And only two wheel bearings to deal with.

When you remove the rear wheel of a G model, it's a lot easier if you put the centerstand on a board or take some measure to create slightly increased clearance at the rear -- it's a lot easier to yank the rear wheel out that way.

When we change those tires, you'll see -- easy peasy.
        I'll bite that it may be easy, but it cna't be easier than on one of the chain GSes. It literally takes three minutes to remove the rear wheel, and about five to reinstall it.

Reading the "official" procedure in the Suzuki GS1000G owner's manual, there's no way the rear wheel can be removed in three minutes, unless maybe you are a former NASCAR pit crew boss.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Rear wheel removal on a shafty is just like a chain bike minus removing the chain from the rear sprocket. I can have my back off in 5 minutes, and 4 minutes of that is removing the rear caliper from the disc and taking the bottom of the shocks loose (which I assume you have to on a chain drive as well).

Comment

I never had gas ooze out the filler cap when really topping it off, but I only do that when I'm getting right back on the road to put some miles on. If you let it sit for even 10-15 minutes, the temperature rise inside the tank can cause the air inside to expand, and if the air pocket isn't right by the cap, it can force the gas out.
            JP
            1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
            1992 Concours
            2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
            2007 FJR

Comment

I have both... out here in CA neither are a lot more hassle either way.

Can't say I really notice the "jacking" either in comparison. I must have almost as close a comparison as you can get with a 801000G & a 781000E.

One thing I will say - the 1000E is outright faster, probably due to the fact that it weighs about 40lbs less has less mileage (so compression is likely to be slightly higher) & also the transmission losses. You wouldn't really notice except in a drag race though.... for every day use it's not an issue.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                I have both... out here in CA neither are a lot more hassle either way.

Can't say I really notice the "jacking" either in comparison. I must have almost as close a comparison as you can get with a 801000G & a 781000E.

One thing I will say - the 1000E is outright faster, probably due to the fact that it weighs about 40lbs less has less mileage (so compression is likely to be slightly higher) & also the transmission losses. You wouldn't really notice except in a drag race though.... for every day use it's not an issue.

Dan
                You can MAKE the E faster too, with a simple cog swap. Cant do that on the shaftie...

Comment

The rear wheel on My BMW with shaft drive is just four lug nuts, and just comes off.

Touring Shaft. Sporting chain.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                    O.K., counterpoint.
                    All you old fogies with your Buicks and Toyotas, keep your inefficient, heavy, slow under-handling shafts. Change the splines when you change the oil. Woohoo.
                    REAL MEN use chains. And whips, if they have a significant other (oops, wrong thread).
                    If shafts were so good, all race bikes would have them. What do race bikes have? Chains.
                    As I was pointing out to bwringer this weekend, the key is proper maintenance. If you ignore your significant other, treat her/him like a piece of lawn equipment, how long will happiness reside? Not long, I suggest. The chain on my 1100E was on it when I purchased it, so its history is unknown. But I have put almost 10k miles on it since I purchased it, and adjusted it only once. And it has plenty of life left, as do the sprockets (well, I can only see the rear, but since the front is of harder material I assume the front is in good condition as well.
                    Here's they key:
                    Understand it is an item that requires periodic maintenance.
                    Start with quality sprockets and a quality chain.
                    Clean the chain prior to lubing it. Don't use a penetrant such as WD40. They can get under the o-rings and wash away the internal lubricant. Clean the teeth on the sprocket at the same time, since the chain can pick that junk up too.
                    Use a quality lube, not some junk you get at Walmart.
                    Wipe it down afterward. I usually wait an hour or so to make sure it sets. This is the most crucial step, IMHO. Excess lubricant will pick up road dust and dirt, which will work its way into the orings and cause premature failure. Also, it prevents the tell-tale strip of lubricant up the back of your riding pants, a sure sign of a chain lube rookie.

So, to the point - Advantages of chain to shaft is ease of changing ratios, lighter weight, which should mean better fuel economy, better handling, the list goes on.
                    So buy a chain, or get the shaft.
                    Having owned both chain and shaft drive bikes, I can go either way. A stripped spline on a R/75 BMW will mean ring and pinion replacement---been there and done that. Apparently these GSs are a little more forgiving. With the new O and X ring chains, maintenance is much easier than it used to be. 20,000 miles on a chain and 2 chains before sprocket changes is easily attainable.

"Use a quality lube, not some junk you get at Walmart."--Walmart sells Bell M/C spray lithium grease which is what these chains are factory lubed with to begin with---how can that be wrong? If you've ever replaced one you'd see that it is coated with the stuff. I've also read the care instructions from a major Japanese mfgr. and they said to use a water displacement spay (read WD40) exclusively for cleaning and lubing. I haven't tried that yet as I still clean with kerosene and lube with lithium. Many of the other chain lubes and "waxes" are tacky and would seem to me to cause crud to stick to them. I suppose everyone has their own method. Chains vs. shaft? It's all good.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Ruddock View Post
                      For me I hate the jacking effect on a shafty.

What jacking effect? We're talking about Suzuki GS shafties here, not Yamahas, Kawasakis, or Hondas.

Suzuki's shaft drive setup is very, very neutral, and the other Japanese bike makers didn't start to get it right until much later.

BMW had the right idea with the Paralever, and I believe Moto Guzzi has a similar torque link arrangement.

However, the Suzuki GS setup is much simpler -- only one u-joint placed perfectly in line with the swingarm pivot. Simple, durable, no sliding splines anywhere, and little to no jacking effect.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I love this. We haven't had one of these for a while. 6 pages and still going.

Comment

What jacking effect? We're talking about Suzuki GS shafties here, not Yamahas, Kawasakis, or Hondas.

Suzuki's shaft drive setup is very, very neutral, and the other Japanese bike makers didn't start to get it right until much later.

BMW had the right idea with the Paralever, and I believe Moto Guzzi has a similar torque link arrangement.

However, the Suzuki GS setup is much simpler -- only one u-joint placed perfectly in line with the swingarm pivot. Simple, durable, no sliding splines anywhere, and little to no jacking effect.
                          For a good example, ride an old Yamaha XS1100 then ride a GS850G. One jacks like a pogo stick and the other doesn't.
                          sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                          2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                            I love this. We haven't had one of these for a while. 6 pages and still going.
                            Change your view settings to show 40 posts per page. This is barely into the SECOND page.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Bufallobiff View Post
                              "Use a quality lube, not some junk you get at Walmart."--Walmart sells Bell M/C spray lithium grease which is what these chains are factory lubed with to begin with---how can that be wrong? If you've ever replaced one you'd see that it is coated with the stuff. I've also read the care instructions from a major Japanese mfgr. and they said to use a water displacement spay (read WD40) exclusively for cleaning and lubing. I haven't tried that yet as I still clean with kerosene and lube with lithium. Many of the other chain lubes and "waxes" are tacky and would seem to me to cause crud to stick to them. I suppose everyone has their own method. Chains vs. shaft? It's all good.
                              Valid points. This is my opinion on each:
                              First, if you continue to read the WD-40 label, it is a penetrant. Which means it will try to get past the o-rings and wash away the lubricant there, which the chain lube won't be able to replace. And to consider WD-40 as a chain lube, well, I guess I'll just say I give that just as much weight as using it to clean my chain.
                              Second, just b/c the factory uses lithium grease does not mean it is the best. They have two goals in mind at the factory: 1) Get it to the consumer still looking new, not rusted. 2) Cut costs as much as possible.
                              I worked for a company for years where I had to sit and listen to endless arguments on how to save two cents per unit. True story. Since I have a unit of one chain, I will use the best, not the most cost-effective.
                              AFA which one to use, it takes a while to figure that one out.

Comment

You got me on this one. To be honest I have ridden all the bikes you mention except a GS shafty. I would like to make the comparison but my gut tells me if it does not feel just like my chain bike I still would not want one. I love the feel of my bike squatting under hard acceleration. Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X