No announcement yet.

How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

112 in the 1/4 mi. I'm too old to try any faster than that, and not on a public road. Thats for d@mn sure.
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Over the weekend took my baby up to 210kmh on the clocks with revs to spare! (131mph) Great fun!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by roxymuddin
        I got tagged at 128mph last week by the state police on my 85 550l. I saw the lights and pulled over I knew it was for me.
        Did you read the post "tickets" in the poll section Roxy?

Comment

Had mine up to 105 and thought about the rest of my life of riding with all 4 limbs still attached and backed off. At least my faring didnt fly off!

Comment

I have a nice stretch down the road from me, about 2 miles of straight, flat, empty road out in the country. Coming home today on the 1150, I just couldn't resist. I tucked down, dropped it in 3rd and gave her hell and didn't let off until the speedo said 140. What a kick! I hit a big bug somewhere around 120, right above my shield. It must have been a june bug. I had guts from the front all the way over the top of my helmet.
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I've been up to about 110 on mine. I was extremely impressed with how stable it was, considering that aside from the handlebars, throttle cable, carb o-rings, filters and tires, everything is stock and original on her. I was completely confident at that speed. No wobbles or "skittish-ness."

Comment

115+ on the 83 550ES. I need to reconfirm the top speed on the 80. I think I run out of revs before running out of horsepower.
                You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Over the ton, about 10 times so far. Not holding him there too long, I want him to last me awhile! Mebbe I hit 105. I'm guessing 115 if I lay down on him like I used to do on my old Yamaha 305, which also would break 100.

Gustav (that's his new name) settles down nicely, solid as a rock up to about 95, then gets a little skittish, but not scary-like.

1977 GS 400X - stock.
                  Rebuilt carbs & glued torn diaghpragm (new carbs coming - woohoo!)
                  New Montec chain
                  New head bearings
                  New rubber & tubes & balanced wheels
                  Battery, replaced handlebars, flushed out engine & changed oil about 4 times, adjusted valve clearances, replaced fork oil 2X & added 1" compression spacers, disassembled & cleaned front & rear hubs, aligned forks, re-torqued head bolts, fixed a bunch of stuff original owner had munged (shock mounts).

Polished cases, all new SS xcase bolts.

The list goes on, but basically it's stock. I plan to get the Suzuki oval clamp on air filters & then re-jet, but after that, a lot of souping up just isn;t worth it on a 400.

Still Gus is a trooper, and handles badass - I've scraped the centerstand about 4 times now - think it's coming off!

I'll get a picture up soon. Not that anybody cares about a lowly GS400. But I like 'im.

(edit)P.S. Also a new Electrex RR I got on EBay for $26. THANK YOU, GSResources! (/edit)
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2006, 01:14 AM.

Comment

good for 200km

I've taken it to 180km still had some go, so i would say it's good for 200.

GS 750E

Comment

130 mph with throttle to spare. Had to ride next to a SV650 to get this reading since my pos speedo goes up to 85 mph.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You can use your tachto make fairly accurate measurements. Take several speedo readings at different rpm's in 5th gear. That will allow you to figure out how many rpm per mph. Then when you go for a flying run, note what rpm you reach. You can then do the math based on rpm to figure out speed.
                        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Or use a GPS.
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

My 850 engine will pull a good 8500- 8600rpm-atleast in 5th gear. Honestly I dont watch the tach much after 8000rpm in fifth. Over 8k- the ole GS is really covering some ground.
                            Im looking forward to enjoying a 1000 engine in that bike soon.
                            Those 1100 and 1150 Es, Ss, must really be a thrill with the 20+ year old suspension.

Comment

The bikes suspension is less than two years old. My suspension is 20+:-)
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
                                The bikes suspension is less than two years old. My suspension is 20+:-)
                                I hear ya!

Comment

Working...
                                X