No announcement yet.

How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not always about hp, it is the biggest contributing factor though. Switching from bias plies to radials will result in less rolling resistance. My bike has shed 40-50 lbs, power to weight ratio is another factor. Pushing less weight around gives you a chance to gear the bike for more top speed.

Comment

Sounds like I should get to know you better. Not many good builders left around. I'll report how the old GS performed on track after the first test and tune on April 17th. HMMMMM?? Maybe I do get a little carried away, just youthful enthusiasm sneaking through. Hope i never lose that.

Have a Happy Healthy Easter ALL .

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
      hmmmmm,
      i was talking about TCK...LOL
      i myself am old and have owned many/built many/worked on many of GS 16v. suzuki's for many people and....i get paid to do this.
      i will leave it at that.
      happy easter everybody!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
        It's not always about hp, it is the biggest contributing factor though. Switching from bias plies to radials will result in less rolling resistance. My bike has shed 40-50 lbs, power to weight ratio is another factor. Pushing less weight around gives you a chance to gear the bike for more top speed.
        Horsepower is needed to overcome aerodynamic drag, which is the largest limiting factor at those speeds (as I understand it), as drag increases with the square of speed. Taller gearing will yield higher top speed, assuming the bike already has the hp to pull redline in top gear (i.e. top speed is gear limited, not drag limited). Having said that, an 1100 should be able to achieve 125 mph on level road....not sure why that is so hard to believe?
        Tony.
        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
          Horsepower is needed to overcome aerodynamic drag, which is the largest limiting factor at those speeds (as I understand it), as drag increases with the square of speed. Taller gearing will yield higher top speed, assuming the bike already has the hp to pull redline in top gear (i.e. top speed is gear limited, not drag limited). Having said that, an 1100 should be able to achieve 125 mph on level road....not sure why that is so hard to believe?
          Tony.
          SHHHHHHHHH,
          i was poking fun at a different post and just mentioned the TCK post to throw off the original poster
          ive seen 120 ish+ or - in 1320' on a stock ish 83 1100E so i'm sure the top is around 140+ or- with your helmet on the gauges.

Comment

And?

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
            SHHHHHHHHH,
            i was poking fun at a different post and just mentioned the TCK post to throw off the original poster
            ive seen 120 ish+ or - in 1320' on a stock ish 83 1100E so i'm sure the top is around 140+ or- with your helmet on the gauges.
            And your arse suctioned to the seat?

Comment

Originally posted by twistedwankel View Post
              The speedo on my 81-750 only goes to 85 so I'll never know if it goes faster than that unless smokie tells me so
              i was going to say the same thing....I guess faster than 85 but who knows.

Comment

Ok. Somewhere up above these posts I told of the performance of my 1986 GS1150E with a "Built Motor". We dyno'd it today and it produced 116.5 HP and 172 Ft Lbs of torque. I know those torque numbers seem impossible ( at least to me) but the Dyno Operator is experienced and does a lot of Suzuki GSXR's and Hayabusa's. No wonder it is a wheelie monster.

Comment

Originally posted by gregr View Post
                  Ok. Somewhere up above these posts I told of the performance of my 1986 GS1150E with a "Built Motor". We dyno'd it today and it produced 116.5 HP and 172 Ft Lbs of torque. I know those torque numbers seem impossible ( at least to me) but the Dyno Operator is experienced and does a lot of Suzuki GSXR's and Hayabusa's. No wonder it is a wheelie monster.
                  With all due respect, the hp number is certainly believable....I'm not sure what's up with that torque figure, esp. since the stock engine puts out about 80-ish max....a 100% increase, without any forced induction doesn't seem possible, esp. with a 116 peak hp figure. Any chance you could post the print out, so we can take a look at the curves? Again, NOT calling you a liar or anything, I hope you understand.
                  Tony.
                  '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                  Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

ummmm,
                    no no no and ummmm.
                    no.
                    where is ray at?

Comment

I'm right here & uummm, NO! Ray.

Comment

130 on my bone stock gs1100e, scary though

Comment

Hello nice thread,
                          When I was 16 I had my almost stock 1000 Skunk doing around 130 trying to Stay ahead of my Friends brand new ZX-11.
                          Last year I had my semi built 82 Gs 1100 with Gsxr rims/forks,cranked out neck and neck with a good Friends CBR929RR,I made it up to 140 and serious head shake problem occurred,bad enough I had to pull over and collect myself,after that I came to the conclusion that anything over 100 on the street belongs to the Tupperware models(Modern Sport bike).

Comment

130 on my 82 GS1100GLZ.
                            verified the hard way by the Maine state police...

Comment

Originally posted by gregr View Post

I am going to have it re-dynoed at a local Harley shop which just installed the very latest Dyna-jet Pit Dyno. It may be a few weeks but I will report the results when available. I agree on the torque but cannot for the life of me understand why the Dyno operator at a Suzuki shop swears that was a true reading. The peak torque was shown at 3,000 rpm. ????Go Figure? All yuor comments and input is taken in context. Thanks-greg

Comment

I went 10,000,000mph in my 250, didn't even leave 2nd gear!
                                Of course my stupid speedo only goes up to 9,999,999!

Comment

Working...
                                X