• Show
Clear All

• bonanzadave
    replied
    Originally posted by wymple View Post
    When I was younger and far more stupid
    BTDT !!

Originally posted by wymple View Post
    I had 9200 RPM on my 82 1100 EZ on a long straight lonely road. I think that was about 142. I will most likely never again see more than about 80, and that would be passing someone.
    Did that alot ! Never really had any idea of speed cause of the 80mph speedo. Cant do that now as the ol girl developed a speed wobble several years ago. Probably not a bad thing......

Leave a comment:

• oldGSfan
    replied
    Mine topped out at about 184MPH but it was well over 100 degrees F in the desert in August, and at 6000' or so (hint hint).

Leave a comment:

• rphillips
    replied
    Fastest I remember seeing indicated was just past 155mph. on a 1984 Kawasaki Ninja 900, that's just all it had. Don't seem that long ago, but today that's nearing 100 mph. more than I need.

Leave a comment:

• Noreg
    replied
    I think I might have gotten mine up to 100 mph in Sweden once. According to GPS not the speedo. But at those speeds it gets uncomfortable. I can't imagine taking the bike to its top speed (134mph I believe).

There is just too much wind.

Leave a comment:

• GS1150Pilot
    replied
    Originally posted by rphillips View Post
    Back in the 80's they were never fast enough, today it really don't matter.
    Well said. I spent more time and money trying to make my GPz 550 faster, but after a terrifying ride on the GPz 750 Turbo I had built, speed began to fade as an obsession.

Leave a comment:

• xkaes
    replied
    The speedometers on my two GS550's top out at 140mph, but as I recall, the 550 engine tops out at 110mph or so in sixth gear -- but I never got close to either of those marks anyway!

Leave a comment:

• rphillips
    replied
    Back in the 80's they were never fast enough, today it really don't matter.

Leave a comment:

• wymple
    replied
    When I was younger and far more stupid I had 9200 RPM on my 82 1100 EZ on a long straight lonely road. I think that was about 142. I will most likely never again see more than about 80, and that would be passing someone.

Leave a comment:

• Rob S.
    replied
    My CB350 topped out at 96. My first year 903cc Z1 would probably have gotten well into the 130's, but that bike's notorious high speed wobble dumped me once and killed my cousin! So I never took her over about 117mph.

Fast forward several decades without riding when I bought my 11EZ. The Cycle World review in 1982 said it was geared for 142, but by that time my testes had started to retreat from whence they came so 115 or 120 a couple of times, but 100mph pretty much every time I took her out. With the open exhaust and intake, and Dyna jetting and tuning, I like to think it might hit 150.

My 883 Superlow Sportster topped out at 100 on level ground with me laying flat on the tank, blowing smoke on big twins pushing police windshields and pulling all manner of saddle bags.

Of course, as a result of my last Sportster ride I now top out at about 1mph with a noticeable limp. Good times!

Leave a comment:

• mriddle
    replied
    I saw 80 mph (hugging the tank, long downhill) on my 1982 GS300L. With me then commuting on it - standing probably 265 lbs with my work backpack. Going up that hill was grateful to get to 65.

Leave a comment:

• xkaes
    replied
    When I was 27, I once hit 80. That was fast enough for me.

Now that I'm approaching 80, I don't go much above 27.

Maybe that's why me and my bikes are still going strong.

Leave a comment:

• SAYONARA
    Guest replied
    you need to check your steering and adjust it with the front wheel in the air that bike should hit 120 straight like a dart.

Leave a comment:

• SAYONARA
    Guest replied
    I hear you not bad for a 400 cc engine.well done. I have a 1979 KZ 1000 LTD with stock engine and VM26 carbs jetted with velocity stacks and Mac 4-1 with Kerker comp baffle hits 140 MPH full throttle even do starts to shake at 120 mph. the same bike had a 1400 cc engine with Cam motion Z6 cams and VM33 and did hit 150 mph I felt that I needed an extra pair of nuts to ride that engine bike that fast I loved yo go next to the Harley's guys and leave them behind

Leave a comment:

• GSGENO
    replied
    My 1150 has been 135 recently.

Leave a comment:

• Ziggy400gs
    Guest replied
    I have pods and exhaust on my gs400. Seems as it was rebuilt before I bought it so who knows what else was done. I got the thing to 100mph and it was stable enough....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X