• Show
Clear All

• Peppermint Patti
    replied
    Faster than yours!... Lol...

Leave a comment:

• LAB3
    replied
    My GS450 is so fast that I was able to exceed the speed of light! This made it possible to travel backward in time where I ended up in the Suzuki engineering offices in the mid 70's to make a suggestion that resolved that pesky problem we all have with 3rd and 4th gear popping out under acceleration. The fact that this is no longer an issue proves my success but they had to cut some corners with the charging system to price the bike competitively, this was a lower cost option in case there was a recall.
    Last edited by LAB3; 02-07-2019, 07:03 PM. Reason: Speeling

Leave a comment:

• Boriqua
    Guest replied
    I had my 82 750 e up to a little over 100 last summer as indicated by the speedo and chickened out.

but with good reason.

when I had a late 70's GS 750 in 79 through about 84 I got it up to an indicated 120 on a highway at 2am and hit the tiniest of tiny bumps and the front wheel took on a life of its own with the handlebars shooting back and forth uncontrollably. I managed to live but ... my shorts needed to be thrown out. The engine can do it but the stock suspension is not up to snuff. I will never forget that day.

Leave a comment:

• Peppermint Patti
    replied
    Originally posted by red1100 View Post
    My 83 GS 1100 wasn’t fast enough for me when I bought it new but now 36 years later it’s too fast.
    I know exactly what you mean!!! My bike is faster than greased lightening...

Leave a comment:

• red1100
    replied
    My 83 GS 1100 wasn’t fast enough for me when I bought it new but now 36 years later it’s too fast.

Leave a comment:

• GS1000S
    replied
    Back in the day I had a new 1979 GS1000EN and had it up to an indicated 121 MPH. I also had a 1981 GS1100EX that I wicked up a number of times but it had a 85 MPH speedo on it. I lost count of how many times the needle hit the pin, but on just about every ride I believe.

Leave a comment:

• 748cc
    replied
    Heh! Currently my old GS is pretty quick at collecting dust & leaves in the shed!!

Leave a comment:

• stevef.
    Guest replied

https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?248167-Gs1000-Bonneville-Bike

For those who havenot seen this thread yet, we made several passes in excess of 140mph on thesalt flats with a stock engine!

Leave a comment:

• headsbikesmopars
    replied
    Those that have 85 MPH speedo's use your tach to determine your speed when you are above 85 mph. When you tach out in high take notice of the tach reading. If you are at 8500 rpm then 'half' that is ALSO half the speed. If 8500 rpm then bring down rpm to 4250 and read your speed off of the speedometer. So if 4250 rpm is 65 mph then 8500rpm is 130 mph. I sent my speedometer to 'Moonlight limited' to have it recalibrated with new speedo face to 150 mph. Looks factory . Very reasonable price too.

Terry

Leave a comment:

• Neveragain55
    replied
    This little girl right here was purchased 25 years ago, and completely rebuilt by yours truly without any engine modifications what-so-ever, and she's topped out at 125 mph more times than I can count.

IMAG0131.jpg

An old naked bike like this at that speed makes you feel like your going damn near 200 mph, and she's never let me down.......GO SUZUKI!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Burque73
    replied
    Originally posted by firesurfer View Post
    I was going south on the sprain parkway just past the tappan zee br. and looked down to see the needle whipping around 134-140. Never did that again. Bike was bouncing too much. Have replacement speedo from another year and a fork brace.

1981 GS650GX
    Did your needle do what mine did in the first post here?
    https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...y-speedometert hit 120mph but I know I was going 70mph or so. The cable was the culprit.

Leave a comment:

• firesurfer
    Guest replied
    I was going south on the sprain parkway just past the tappan zee br. and looked down to see the needle whipping around 134-140. Never did that again. Bike was bouncing too much. Have replacement speedo from another year and a fork brace.

1981 GS650GX
    Last edited by Guest; 10-11-2018, 12:49 AM. Reason: Bike type

Leave a comment:

• Peteortiz11
    replied
    broke a ton; then chickened out!

Leave a comment:

• jswhite
    Guest replied
    Now this is a good idea!! Do you know how fast those marks are?
    Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    You can open the speedo, break off that stop pin, and paint marks on the speedo face.

Leave a comment:

• TxGSrider
    replied
    Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    You can open the speedo, break off that stop pin, and paint marks on the speedo face.
    Now THATS greatness!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X