How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fast enough to make it to victory lane!

09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
    83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
    81 GS650G for the wife.
    82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
    I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
    If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
    Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

ya I had my gs750 doing 110+ trying to keep up with my Girl Friend on hers V65 sabar. it was still climing when I backed off it.

Comment

Update--- My buddy took my 78 750 out, and managed to get 120mph, but had to let
        off cause the rear end was starting to sway. It's got an insanely bald rear tire....

Good news....the bike doesn't smoke anymore!

Comment

i got my 1981 gs1100ex i got from a guy that had it in storage for 14 years i went threw it and got it running good. its got a kerker 4 into1 on it and a k&n air filter with no airbox lid. i was runnin side byside with my buddies sv650 and we slowed down at 120 but she was still climbing pretty good. its fast enough for me

Comment

Had the skunk up to 125 and the Cooley at 130+ Fast enough for me too.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by kflaggs1kevin View Post
              i got my 1981 gs1100ex i got from a guy that had it in storage for 14 years i went threw it and got it running good. its got a kerker 4 into1 on it and a k&n air filter with no airbox lid. i was runnin side byside with my buddies sv650 and we slowed down at 120 but she was still climbing pretty good. its fast enough for me
              Oh I love those kerker 4-1's!

I got one with a cherry bomb, sounds mean as hell, it turns heads for sure.

Im scared to lean right, because it sits SO low to the pavement.

Comment

ya my bikes loud to. where do you get a cherry bomb for it?

Comment

This weekend out in the country I got my '81 GS850G (with 85mph speedo) up to 7500 RPM on a slight upward grade. I don't have rear-sets (an 850 with rearsets?) but I was crouched over the tank with fairly low bars and tiny bar-end mirrors.

Based on a previous post about 850 shaftie drive 3:4 ratios that puts me at an even 100mph. The Falcon still had something left and felt smoother than I even expected. Considered trying for 8000 but then started wondering about things like when I'd last checked the tire pressure.

About 5 years ago a friend on an ST1100 told me he paced me at about 120 on an Arizona interstate (with the ORIGINAL fork springs and rear shocks!), but based on the way I felt at 100 yesterday (with year old Progressive suspenders front & rear), I no longer believe that number. Or maybe I'm just getting older.

Either way, the real treat was taking some sweepers at 80-85 and realizing that she's just as stable leaned over as she is tucked up in a straight. Been riding with a bunch of honkin' v-twin cruiser guys here in Alabama since I left behind my sport-touring crew in AZ, and those guys are pretty sedate in corners for obvious reasons. She seemed to appreciate the chance to open up a bit.
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-19-2011, 11:12 AM.

Comment

In 1981 on my naked gs1100 with 1000 miles on it, early one cold morning on a straight freeway near Seattle, I clocked 137 flat out. Took it back to the dealer, saying I wanted it tuned to go the reputed 145. The dealer told me that was with a 110 lb. rider, not me at +/- 170. Said there was nothing he could do. The relationship with the road seemed tenuous at that speed.

Comment

SD Interstates

75 is the speed limit on south dakota interstates, and going 85 sometimes is common, also i get alot of chances to run my bike up to 110 or so with a vetter vindicator fairing and a sissy bar bar on it. I also did a 530 chain convertion from a 2.73(repeating) gear ratio to a 2.75 gear ratio i don't know if that has much effect on the end result though.

Comment

not a GS, but I got my CB200 up to 72 last week

Comment

had the bike (78 750e) doing 110mph (in a 35mph zone)...they frown on that...
                          $125 later and much smarter now...

i had to see the limit, but know that its plenty scary being there...

Comment

1978 gs750 Cafe. 110 mph.

scudder

Comment

The GS750L Did 125mph...had to be followed for a correct reading(85mph speedo)

The GS400X did 95 mph, that took a bit... Impressed with the little bike that could.

The GSF1200S, 167mph indicated by the speedometer, 5th gear @ red-line, Scariest part it took hardly anytime to do it... FYI SHE'S ALSO NOT STOCK...
                              Last edited by Jedz123; 11-22-2011, 09:55 PM.
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                              Originally posted by Hayabuser
                              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Mine's faster than The girlfriends Shadow, so I'm ok with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X