No announcement yet.

How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was checking the jetting, my '83 pulled redline, at an indicated 140mph - I was scrunched down as low as possible behind the speedo to keep from getting blowed off - I have no urge to do it again.

Comment

'79 GS850 gotta put 'er onna DIET obese an overweight

Now you gotta realize that gettin' old doesn't mean gettin' smart or does it go the other way..?

Back in da day..('75) riding a fast (then) KZ900 cruisin with a pal on a Honda 750 northbound on da Interstate.. bout 65/70 looked over an nodded..AWAY we go...

"Round "bout 100 indicated on kawie speedo I see? in rear view his headlight.., Yeah I got him...kept her twisted tight an started gettin' da "shakes"....hang on (how's that fer STUPID"?) started to smooth out and kept climbing.. finally @ around 133? I decided that's all folks.. started slowin' down... oh no!! here comes this violent shake (Dynamic instability) HANG-ON.. got 'er leveled off and under control WHEW!

With this act complete now I deduce what occurred.. Forgot to mention this bike was wearing a Windjammer and Bates bags etc. AERO lift.. FLIGHT! DANGER NEVER AGAIN> GS850 now 120+ EASY but not VERIFIED I wanna LIVE..

Comment

Originally posted by Roostabunny View Post
        This weekend out in the country I got my '81 GS850G (with 85mph speedo) up to 7500 RPM on a slight upward grade. I don't have rear-sets (an 850 with rearsets?) but I was crouched over the tank with fairly low bars and tiny bar-end mirrors.

Based on a previous post about 850 shaftie drive 3:4 ratios that puts me at an even 100mph. The Falcon still had something left and felt smoother than I even expected. Considered trying for 8000 but then started wondering about things like when I'd last checked the tire pressure.
        Rearsets? You mean the rear passenger pegs? That what I used to use in my speed crazed youth of two summers ago. BTW 8,000 is nothing on a 850G. Run it up to 9,500, that's when things get really fun.

While my CBR riding friend still lived stateside we would go out and do top speed runs down a nice flat smooth stretch of highway that was not patrolled by the state and ran through different counties every 15-20 miles or so.

I had my '82 up to a staggering 135. According to his speedometer. Then he would give 'er more gas and dust me while he rocketed towards 155... It's crazy how fast a new 600cc sport bike is.

Comment

To me, the fun isn't in how fast I can go, but how quickly I can get there. That said, I took my Z1 out on a miles-long straight one time in the early '80s and ignored the red-line. 1100 kit, cams, exhaust, etc. When it stopped speeding up, I shifted. The last time I looked at the speedo, I was doing 105. In second gear. Great bike. I don't ride like that any more.

Comment

Originally posted by havoK View Post
            had the bike (78 750e) doing 110mph (in a 35mph zone)...they frown on that...
            $125 later and much smarter now...

i had to see the limit, but know that its plenty scary being there...
            thats insanely cheap. ive paid that much for a parking ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by kmccaffrey View Post
              Now you gotta realize that gettin' old doesn't mean gettin' smart or does it go the other way..?

Back in da day..('75) riding a fast (then) KZ900 cruisin with a pal on a Honda 750 northbound on da Interstate.. bout 65/70 looked over an nodded..AWAY we go...

"Round "bout 100 indicated on kawie speedo I see? in rear view his headlight.., Yeah I got him...kept her twisted tight an started gettin' da "shakes"....hang on (how's that fer STUPID"?) started to smooth out and kept climbing.. finally @ around 133? I decided that's all folks.. started slowin' down... oh no!! here comes this violent shake (Dynamic instability) HANG-ON.. got 'er leveled off and under control WHEW!

With this act complete now I deduce what occurred.. Forgot to mention this bike was wearing a Windjammer and Bates bags etc. AERO lift.. FLIGHT! DANGER NEVER AGAIN> GS850 now 120+ EASY but not VERIFIED I wanna LIVE..
              Back when I was 18 I had a brand new 1983 GS750e. I had a 4to1 Yosh pipe on it. On the 401hwy in Ontario crouched over my gas tank, one hand on the throttle and my left hand wrapped around the tank (wind resistance) and going slightly down hill I got it up to 137mph! Did I mention I was 18?LOL. 28 years later I now have a 1980 GS750e and once I get up to 85mph I lose my nerve and start thinking about my 9 year old boy at home. Maybe it's true that "the older you get the wiser you get".
              No signature

Comment

old gs

My old 1982 GS1100e ran 11:17 @116. @ Bristol drag strip
                Bone stock except whillie bar !!
                After selling and buying back restored to original condition in oct of this year same drag strip it ran a 11:27 @ 118.
                Oh year for got to mention twisted crank had been replaced
                Still have original 1982 picture and the 2011 picture I will post later
                only difference is rear tire [much better traction] and my 23 year old son which has been drag racing since 15 [jr dragster-IHRA SS PEA]

Comment

1980 850l...

Not sure...speedo goes to 85 and pegged it...probably only 90 mph is my guess. I don't need to go any faster then that though.

Comment

Got my 550 to 105-110ish before winter reared its ugly head.

Comment

Originally posted by MiloBramble View Post
                      Not sure...speedo goes to 85 and pegged it...probably only 90 mph is my guess. I don't need to go any faster then that though.
                      Me too.

Watch from about 3:25 - 4:00....

Was that a 40mph sign ?

Took a quick ride to the lake on a beautiful Nov 12th day in MN. The Motorcycle is a 1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

83 gs1100gl bone stock. 110mph with plenty left on the throttle, was tucked in good as I could get but had to let off b/c helmet was coming off.

Broke 120mph on a tuned 74 RD400 (more than half of that on one wheel hehe), but it all happened so quickly I got spooked and backed off. Followed quickly with an underwear change.

Comment

In 1984 on my new 83 750e with 4 into 1 yosh pipe with half the pipe dropped I did a 11.81 at 113mph! I was 18 at the time. Now I get scared at anything past 85!
                          No signature

Comment

Last summer I managed between 110-115mph on my 81 650L. I figure there's a rounding error. I used gps at 50 and 60 with rpm ranges in 5th and 4th years. Forget the end rpm, jus remember the final speed result.
                            This is with the biggest screen I could find for my bike, think its the enterprise.

I also got a ticket for going 65 in a 55 zone because the road sign was covered.... But that's a different story.

Comment

My 34 year old GS750 DB Will only reach 100mph flat out across the tank whilst farting at the same time, however i am 16 stone in weight and i know that i have low compression on on 3rd cylinder. I am just waiting for good weather to check the valve clearances. Dont want to push the old girl much faster!

Comment

My 1980 GS1100E once showed an indicated red line in 5th, however fast that is, 135?

My 919 indicated 150+ once, I'm pretty sure it was actually closer to 140

Current FJ1200 has indicated 135+ (easily I might add) and I'm too old to want to go any faster and I'm going to say that was "really" probably closer to 200MPH, just for fun!
                                Last edited by Guest; 02-26-2012, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X