Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The big crunch

Originally posted by terry
    My mate in Oregon just emailed me with the US road toll for 1992, 42,815 people dead in a 12 month period.

Big country and big population I know, so I guess it's all relative, but I just wondered how many died trying to determine the upper limits of their particular ride? (car or bike)

Statistically speaking by far most of those are left turning drunks at 2:30 AM in a light industrial district taking out a family of three in a moments time.......speeders are just the proverbial drop in the bucket.
    Rick.........

Comment

When the guide posts look like a picket fence its time to back off
      ozman

Comment

Originally posted by ozman
        When the guide posts look like a picket fence its time to back off
        ozman
        Too true, Ozzy, hey how did you score Mick Hone's race bike? I remember seeing it racing years ago, the altzheimers is kicking in now, but I think it was Bathhurst in the early eighties? You are a lucky guy, for sure............. :twisted:

Comment

terry i was suzuki dealer. mates with mick since them days went to fiji with him on a dealer trip
          ozman

Comment

Like the sig says, the ole girl is way too fast for me....have buried the speedo in a passing situation once, but that is all.

Comment

[quote="focus frenzy"]

PS: my friend has had his yamaha yzf r-1 up to 189 mph(306kph) showing on the digital display several times. (and the idiot doesnt wear a helmit)
              gws226 quote also: Interesting info... I'm sure the numbers are up now that many states no longer have helmet laws

In general, could be possible that after, more or less 80 mph, a helmet become just a cephalic mass container? :?

Comment

I have to agree, over 80 mph and the helmet is likely wearing you.[/img]

Comment

195 KM/H (122 MPH), my "baby kat"

Comment

Originally posted by joeadams
                    I have to agree, over 80 mph and the helmet is likely wearing you.[/img]
                    I have to disagree I hit the pavement at 118MPh at conn dragway in 1984 , (went across the finish line at 124 I think and hit oil from a blown motor) broke my collar bone tore knee cartilidge ground the back of the helmet flat but got up and walked away ( well I actually limped) never under estimate the advantage of wearing a helmet

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
                      Some of you guys are in the running for fastest speedometer on earth awards 8O

I agree 100%
                      John.

Comment

I wonder if the decision to not wear a helmet is due to fact that there is nothing to protect.

Comment

Had 115 mph once,still in fourth gear and my brother in law on the back seat. Stock Gs 1100 Gk. Could not go faster due to slow traffic!

Comment

95 mph on the interstate - about the safest that any road condition around here allows.

I did manage to hit 90 on a sustained uphill into a strong headwind, though - does that count? I can honestly say that I have never been over 105 mph on any bike on public roads - I've just never been in a situation where I felt that road conditions wouldn't deteriorate, traffic wouldn't worsen, or my reaction times wouldn't be an issue in the blink of an eye it takes to cover serious ground at ton-up speeds - especially rolling 20 year old suspension and brake components.

It's the accelleration that keeps me coming back - not top speed. I did manage to get 57 mph outta first at redline on my '91 1100 Kat, and 130 mph (indicated) out of my full-framed '65 Mustang running a mild 350 Chev and Muncie 4-speed (3.0:1 gearing helps...)...

-Q!

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                              143 on a GS700E with mods.
                              Wow. In 1987 on my GS700E (stock), I did a high speed run on hwy 26 across the south Idaho desert between Blackfoot and Atomic City (look at a map, it's even flatter and straighter than it looks). A trooper clocked me at 130 mph from an airplane. There was a sheriff's deputy waiting for me about ten miles down the road.

No ticket, just a warning and I let him take my bike for a quick spin. He rode a Gold Wing, and couldn't believe my "little bitty" bike would go that fast.
                              sigpic

SUZUKI:
                              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Yep, the acceleration is great. Today I went from 1000 RPM to 11000 RPM while merging across 2 lanes of traffic and it felt great. The oil consumption and a gearbox with false neutrals and popping gears are indicators of my 20k ownership...

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X