No announcement yet.

Swing arm having gap at mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have probably have missed something ​​​​​, is it not easier to get the original brake working? Running around on roads without a rear brake is really not sensible and down right dangerous.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
      I have probably have missed something ​​​​​, is it not easier to get the original brake working? Running around on roads without a rear brake is really not sensible and down right dangerous.
      You haven't missed anything. This is precisely the point we're all trying to make.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Suzukian, up until now, I have only noticed good stuff coming from your keyboard. However, this part makes me nervous:
        Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
        Running a street bike without a rear brake is foolish. If you don't understand gyroscopic precession and why the rear brake is so important, in so many situations, you may have no business riding motorcycles. A working rear brake allows you to lay down a bike when necessary to avoid a catastrophic accident. It allows you to come to a stop and have the handlebars to wobble. This is an every stop situation. Never run a bike without a rear brake. Never. We are trying to help you, possibly save your life, not argue or have a pi$$ing contest.
        Is there a chance you have a history of riding Harleys? "Laying a bike down" to avoid a collision only means you will have TWO collisions. The first one is the one where you hit the pavement AND LOSE ANY FURTHER CONTROL, the second is when you eventually hit what you were hoping to avoid.
        If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Yes, ... LOL! another "I had to lay her down" disciple ... such bullsh!t.
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Never owned and only have ridden a few Harleys. My CB400F is a Modified Stage III CB458 c.c. by Kazio Yoshima, I've have been clocked at 135 miles per hour doing 14,500 rpm's, using 3.50 x 18" in" rims (aluminum, Gold anodized, stainless steel spokes I laced) in the rear. Yoshima made me Hand bent pipes, turned my carbs into smooth bores, and flow benched the carbs into the heads, though to the exhaust. It is a rare bike,1977, and is more rare now. I have used the rear brake to lay the bike down at slow speed turns on back Connecticut roads when either deer have jumped out, or I was just going too fast. I also have been offered big bucks for that bike, as I have all the paperwork and work orders signed by Kazio Yoshima himself.

If you have never laid down a bike, and walked up to it, and just picked her up, with nothing wrong except some scratches on the clip on handlebar ends, and the rear set Futuro foot pegs, you weren't riding past the edge like I was. I was much younger and learning. I am talking about a bike laid over, rolling off the tires, on a decreasing radius off camber turn. Why do an endo, or try and stand it up, only to high side it off the other side? I always ride fully dressed for the occasion. So yes, I have laid motorcycles down a few times, and have had very controlled lay downs, in which the bikes suffered virtually no problems. I've never had to lay down my '83 GS750ES since new, and it's clicking on 40K miles. My CB454 Yoshima will roll off the tires, and nothing will touch, or even come close.

Also, where in my post did you see the word "Collision"? I never used that word. You obviously (You plural) have never done extreme back road riding where there are no cars, and the challenge is yourself. As far as collisions go , the shift would puts all the weight on the front wheel, but I did not write "collision", that is the only thing a rare brake isn't good for, it happens to be the only time where it does very little.

Read the posts more thoroughly before you post. If you read the post, and questioned me to enhance your understanding of how I rode, and maybe what I meant, because you obviously have not come even close to what I have done on motorcycles, I would have happily educated you. Lay a bike down on a hard curve, where your rolling off the tires, I'll go for a controlled lay down than a "leave it to the God's" attitude every day of the week. There are no sidewalks inn Connecticut back roads, for the most part, it's grass and lots of rocks, which I'd rather kick the bike away from me than get tangled up with it.

You assume much. The only bullshlt is coming from two people who don't read posts correctly and are too lazy to inquire further. Use bullshlt to anything I am saying, make sure you smell your own breath, that's where the bullshlt smell is coming from. Your whole reply was based off of the word "Collision" which I never posted. What a bunch of maroons.

Comment

Working...
            X