Re-Instatement of 83 GSX750 EZ from a 7/11 to a 750 & creating a new 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-Instatement of 83 GSX750 EZ from a 7/11 to a 750 & creating a new 1100

This is a story of 2 bikes that are entwined so this post will cover both of their stories.

Some of you will remember this 1983 GSX750EZ restoration from 2014

before.jpg

The plan is to remove the 1100 engine and install a 750 engine so that I can get it re-registered and legal again.
    I think it will be more valuable as a straight 750 rather than a 7/11.
    In NZ the annual registration cost for a motorcycle is approx $520 but once they get to their 40th birthday that fee drops to $55.
    Being a 1983 model its 40th birthday is due so I thought it a good time to get into action.

Part 2 of the plan is to get hold of an 1100 that is just missing an engine so I can transplant this one and then I will have 2 bikes.
    80 GSX1100 ET
    82 GSX750 EZ
    84 GSX1150 ES
    86 GSX750 ES
    10 GSXR1000

So earlier this year I got hold of a 81 750 Engine that was nearly complete, only missing a Clutch, Starter motor & cover and main drive sprocket cover. Oh and 1 other thing, The previous owner thought a cylinder might have rusted in the bore as it wouldnt turn over. I took a chance and bought it. The cylinder issue seemed to fix itself with a 120km ride in the trailer home. All that vibration helped to unfix it as when I got home I put a socket on the crank and it turned over. Yeah, a win.

engine1.jpg

I did an audit of what was missing and scoured the internet.
    The sump cover had a pinprick hole so i tried a local welder to fix it but the metal was too thin and I ended up with a big hole.
    Turns out Germany is a good source of spare parts.
    Attached Files
    80 GSX1100 ET
    82 GSX750 EZ
    84 GSX1150 ES
    86 GSX750 ES
    10 GSXR1000

Comment

I don't quite recall the restoration, but nice job. That's a fing looking cycle.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Why would the 1100 eng. have anything to do with getting it registered? Nobody but a pretty knowledgeable Suzuki person would ever have any clue it was anything other than a completely orig GS750.... No doubt a lot more about your story than I know, but evidently you have an 1100 without an eng. Could just put this 750 eng. on the 1100 and save a whole lot of trouble.... Then you'd have a real fast GS750 and a real slow GS1100. Will be watching and listening.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
          Why would the 1100 eng. have anything to do with getting it registered? Nobody but a pretty knowledgeable Suzuki person would ever have any clue it was anything other than a completely orig GS750.... No doubt a lot more about your story than I know, but evidently you have an 1100 without an eng. Could just put this 750 eng. on the 1100 and save a whole lot of trouble.... Then you'd have a real fast GS750 and a real slow GS1100. Will be watching and listening.
          On the other Suzuki site someone from overseas was trying to figure out how to make the antidive non functional but without giving up any visual clues as no mods were allowed. Apparently they are much more strict over there.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Probably right Glen, it's amazing how different registration rules are just here in our country, It'd be hard to imagine what they may require in other places in the world. Shoot, you're in NJ, you should come to Tennessee and try to get your bike registered.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

If you're in N.J, you should try and just go anywhere else. The longest year of my life was spent in Cherry Hill, N.J. The next question would be, "Which Exit?".

Comment

NJ doesn't even require motorcycles to be inspected anymore. Whey my bike hit 25 years old, I got a historic plate for a one time charge of $44.
                Suzukian, if you're basing your entire view of NJ by Cherry Hill, I understand why you might say that.
                sigpic

Glen
                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

In Ireland we don't have MoTs or inspections of motorcycles.
                  There's been talk of introducing it, from time to time over the years, but nothing's come of it.
                  However, if you're riding around on a shytheap and have (or cause) an accident, the Garda Traffic Division might take an interest in the state of your bike and determine if you were responsible for the crash. That way lies much hurt and pain, especially if you cause a loss to someone else.
                  The lack of inspections makes me more keen to keep my rides in safe condition, and that includes arguing the toss about the D'side word.
                  I can use a car tyre here because nobody says I can't - and I'm armed with the facts.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                    In New Zealand, any 'major' modification/repair, including repowering with a engine that isn't the same as the original (as per the VIN issued at entry to the country), requires safety certification and fitting of a "Low Volume Vehicle" (LLV) plate by a registered automotive engineer (anywhere from NZD$700-$1000). Then the bike would have to go through compliance checking (for all the other vehicle design regulations) before it can be then re-registered (issued with plates) and then licensed (road taxes) to legally be on the road (another NZD$500). If you didn't get a LVV and declared it to be a 750... you'd likely be found out compliance checking, and would have to put things right, anyhow.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
                    ​​
                    Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Like said very different rules at different places... Hoping the folks moving in around here appreciate how great we have it, and don't do anything to fix it. We get a post card each yr. reminding us it's time to renew registration, go to DMV and give them $ 30.25 or just mail in $ 32.25, stick the sticker on your plate and you're done. Wishing it could be that way for everybody.

Comment

It's getting better here (New York). You can even make an 'appointment,' get to the DMV on time and they take you immediately.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Connecticut has no interest in looking at your motorcycle at all. It's a great state for registering bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiAlfa156 View Post

In New Zealand, any 'major' modification/repair, including repowering with a engine that isn't the same as the original (as per the VIN issued at entry to the country), requires safety certification and fitting of a "Low Volume Vehicle" (LLV) plate by a registered automotive engineer (anywhere from NZD$700-$1000). Then the bike would have to go through compliance checking (for all the other vehicle design regulations) before it can be then re-registered (issued with plates) and then licensed (road taxes) to legally be on the road (another NZD$500). If you didn't get a LVV and declared it to be a 750... you'd likely be found out compliance checking, and would have to put things right, anyhow.
                            oof... That's rough. Makes me wonder why OP went through the effort to swap engines?
                            - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                            - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

On top of all the costs Kiwialfa156 noted here in NZ there is then the 6 monthly Warrant of Fitness. Current cost is $70 a time at my local garage.
                              80 GSX1100 ET
                              82 GSX750 EZ
                              84 GSX1150 ES
                              86 GSX750 ES
                              10 GSXR1000

Comment

Working...
                              X