1982 Suzuki GS750T - Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SamLack99 View Post
    This is turning into the worst oil change I've ever done...

...I'm guessing the drain plug isn't supposed to look like this LOL.

I took a look at the drain hole in the engine oil sump pan and it doesn't look good.

Having used the search function here at the GSR forum, it seems my options are:
    1. Heli-coil/True-sert thread repair
    2. A replacement oil sump pan
    3. An oversized self-tapping oil drain plug

Of the three my preferred option is #3.

The trouble is, unless my 'Google-Fu' is very weak (possible), here in the United Kingdom, I'm only able to find 'piggy-back' versions. Which seems like a bad idea to me. Just another leak source to worry about.

If anyone knows of a source for a good old-fashioned M14 X 1.5 oversized, self-tapping oil drain plug here in the UK, I'd love to know.

Otherwise, I'll have to order one from the USA, where shipping will be 4 times more than the part itself LOL.
    Take your pick of a cheap one or a more pricey version of exactly the same tool by the look of it.

"
    • Suitable for 14mm engine oil screw after skidded and rethread by 15mm chaser then twist into 15mm screw + gasket.
    ​"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drain-Thread-Repair-Screws-Rethread/dp/B07GCGYLC7

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOPWAY-Drain-Thread-Repair-M15X1-5/dp/B07ZN5RQQG
    Last edited by Grimly; 11-30-2023, 07:25 PM.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks, everyone. I went for one of these in the end: Dorman 65217 Oil Drain Plug Oversize M14-1.50 S.O., Head Size 18Mm

​Should be here in time for Christmas =)

Comment

Finally, I've got all the parts to complete the oil change.

All went well until I realised I'd got the wrong oversized sump plug from the USA. I'd ordered an M14 X 1.5, but I should have got M14 X 1.25.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that using the wrong thread pitch is a bad idea <-- Is this true?

Anyway...

...I've ordered one of the UK available 'piggyback' style sump plugs. Just seems like doubling the risk of leaks to me.

Oh well.

I went back to the shed and made sure all of the loose old threads had been removed. Then I thought, why not try the OEM replacement sump plug I'd ordered? The fit was much better than I expected. So I've threadlocked and inserted it.

I'll leave it overnight, then put some oil in and see if it stays in...

...If not, at least I've got an oversized 'piggyback' sump plug on the way =)

Comment

09-suzy-carbs.jpg

Carbs:

Stripped down
          Cleaned
          Dodgy bits replaced
          Jets set up for pods - to be tested
          Floats bench synced
          Float levels validated
          Throttle valves bench synced

I've done what I can for now.

Next up...

...Valves.

Whilst waiting for the parts to arrive from CMSNL (Classic Motorcycle Spares Netherlands) I'm reading and watching everything I can find on checking the valves on a 16-valve 750T. Thanks to the GSresources Forum, that's easy to do =)

Comment

Working...
          X