No announcement yet.

Spent some time in the "man-cave" - From Wreck to Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent! It should be real nice once again! Now don't go throwing it around when it's back together, OK?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Spent some more time in the manroom today!

Hi!

I was able to spend an evening in the garage again today and had a ton of fun. I started with the new Goodridge stainless steel brake lines...

I figured I'd put those on first while everything else was out of the way. Here's a close up of all the new hardware...

I ended up swapping ends on the line that goes to the master cylinder. The m/c needed the angled banjo bolt and the straight one worked better at the splitter. It had been a while since I took this apart and I kind of forgot.

Next I put the forks, new blue fender, and wheel back on and started on the fork brace. Here the dust boots are lifted in preparation for installation...

The instructions say to assemble the clamps first but leave the screws loose...

Then you put the crossbar on, again with the screws loose...

Finally, everything gets tightened up (in a particular order) and the dust boots are pressed back into place...

Continuing on with the vanity fork cover...wait, that went on the same time as the forks and headlight ears. Never mind. Here's a picture anyway...

And then the headlight bucket, turn signals, and gauges...

Finally, just for grins and giggles, I placed the other body parts on to get a mock-up of Jessie in her new color...

I think she looks pretty good. I've still got quite a few hours of labor left. I'm actually going to have my original body parts repainted because the ones I bought from ebay are really rough, busted tabs and stuff. I'm also planning to replace the intake boots and O-rings while she's down, and maybe rebuilding the front calipers. I'm also working on some decent bushings for the new EMGO shocks purchased just before my accident. The bushings are already getting chewed up. I'll let you know what I end up with. Then it's just a matter of bolting up the exhaust (Thanks ReJean), putting the controls and cables back on the handlebars, and I'll be dangerously close to getting back on the road.

Thanks again to everyone who donated parts, expertise, and labor in my time of need (Ed, Lynn, Dan, Dave, Tim, Floyd, uh.... I'm sure I forgot somebody). I promise to never crash again.... on purpose anyway.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 02-01-2010, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Cliff,

Jessie is lookin good. I'm a bit partial to blue.

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
          Jessie is lookin good. I'm a bit partial to blue.
          Thanks Mr. Charlie G. I'm really starting to like it. I think it will look good when I get a tinted Slipstreamer Spitfire windshield for it. I like the "deflector" size shields, they're just enough. This is what Jessie used to look like...

BassCliff

Comment

looking good cliff!

Comment

Hey Cliff, I'm really liking the new blue Jessie. When I started riding again after putting my crashed bike back together I treated the curves rather gingerly for a while. After a bit I got over the pulse racing just because of a quick corner and it all became fun again.

Comment

If you need any help I'm off on Monday and Tuesdays (most weeks) and would love a good ride down south.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Cliff, glad to see you are progressing on both fronts (recoup & bike recoup). I also am liking the blue color. Are you all set on parts?
                  82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                  81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                  83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                  06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                  AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
                    Cliff, glad to see you are progressing on both fronts (recoup & bike recoup). I also am liking the blue color. Are you all set on parts?
                    Thanks Tim. I've got all the major parts I need. I might need a gasket or two here and there while I'm putting it back together, but no big deal. We'll see where it leaks.

BassCliff

Comment

Looking great Cliff !!
                      You've been doing alot of work. All the ladies like to change their wardrobe. Beautiful blue !!
                      Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Cliff.. Glad to see Jessie is on the mend and that youre up to par also. Heres a tidbit on fixing the broken tabs.. DEVCON..the maker of 5 minute epoxy..makes a product called PLASTIC WELDER. I used strips pf duct tape to sort of make a dish simulating the tabs and filled it in with the goop. Once it was all hardened i used my dremmel to fashion a new tab and cut the slot for the frame mount into it..Pm me an email addy and i will send you some pics of the final results.. really worked out well for filling in splits in the side covers as well.. Fill, sand , repaint and cant tell it was ever cracked..
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks Chuck,

I was thinking of repairing the extra body parts so that I'd have good spares. Is this similar to the procedure you used?

I found it on some guy's website....

BassCliff

Comment

Wow, the bike's really coming along... I have to jump on the "I like the blue color too" bandwagon !

Can't wait to see her all done & purtied up.
                            '85 GS550L - SOLD
                            '85 GS550E - SOLD
                            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                            '81 GS750L - SOLD
                            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

My 750 doesnt have the posts which push into the grommets. It has the tab that slips over the small metal L shaped bent tab thats welded to the frame. However If jessie has the post / gromet configuration like i think she does that looks like a AWESOME way to make new post, In any case i can send you pics of my repair if ya want. Like i said too, i spread the cracks apart in the cover, squished in the goop, sanded and repainted and its flawless..
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Just one part of all that kinda bothers me:
                                Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                                I still need to get a couple of body parts painted to match the new tank.
                                You getting your legs painted to match the tank or what?

sigpic
                                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride
                                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                                X