Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by four_shot View Post
    Cliff,
    Love the color where did you get it? I'm thinking of using it for mine. If I don't go back to the factory gray.
    Hi,

I don't recall a "factory gray" color for the GS850. But I got my color from the shop who painted the body parts. He tried his best to match the stock 1981 color (Marble Indigo Blue) for the GS850. He couldn't find an exact match so I told him to go ahead and err toward a darker blue rather than the aqua tint (shown in bright sunlight) that was the 1981 color. There's still a little aqua in it, but not as much. I turned out really well.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Cliff,
      Bike looks great. Glad things are getting back to normal.
      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        Cliff,

I celebrate with you.

Yes, More pics please. What have seen so far is impressive. "Film at 11", you say. How about the 6 o'clock news?

So you get your bike back together and have a earthquake.
        I get my headlight wiring problem fixed and have thunderstorms and hailstorms.

Dave Redman

no doubt the earthquake was caused by the thunder from the "L" mufflers Glad to see you back up and running, the bike looks great, much like my 81 850G that is missing in action

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          snip
          After I poured out the Evapo-Rust I had a bit of a time getting all of the roofing nails out. Next time I think I'll use some bb's or smallish ball bearings that will pour out of the petcock hole easier. I had to turn the tank on its side and fish the nails out of the fuel gauge hole with my fingers. It wasn't hard, just tedious. Then I rinsed it with gasoline a few times until the gas came out clear. I put the tank back together, put it on the bike, then took a test drive and filled the tank to prevent any "flash rust" from forming. I was a little surprised and quite pleased at how well the Evapo-Rust works.
          snip
          BassCliff
          I tried BB's in my 450 tank before I ended up having it de-rusted and coated. At least with the 850, you have 3 holes, not just 2 like my bike, but the BB's were not all that easy to get out. I didn't know about this Evapo-Rust stuff, where did you get it? I might have tried that, but oh well. Now my tank is coated and I don't have to worry about it rusting again

Comment

Originally posted by davidduarte View Post
            I tried BB's in my 450 tank before I ended up having it de-rusted and coated. At least with the 850, you have 3 holes, not just 2 like my bike, but the BB's were not all that easy to get out. I didn't know about this Evapo-Rust stuff, where did you get it? I might have tried that, but oh well. Now my tank is coated and I don't have to worry about it rusting again
            Hi David,

I used the roofing nails as a "scrubbing agent" because that's all I had laying around the garage. But I think they worked great because they didn't just roll over the inside of the tank.

I bought Evapo-Rust at my local AutoZone. It's cheaper if you can buy it by the gallon instead of the quart. Maybe it can be found at a builder's supply or farm supply? Or you can just order it from the manufacturer's website.

http://www.evaporust.com/

BassCliff

Comment

Harbor Freight carries it in gallon jugs out this way...
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Hi David,

I used the roofing nails as a "scrubbing agent" because that's all I had laying around the garage. But I think they worked great because they didn't just roll over the inside of the tank.

I bought Evapo-Rust at my local AutoZone. It's cheaper if you can buy it by the gallon instead of the quart. Maybe it can be found at a builder's supply or farm supply? Or you can just order it from the manufacturer's website.

http://www.evaporust.com/

BassCliff
                Hey, BassCliff, if you ever have to clean the tank again (lord forbid) a mechanic's magnet or just a magnet on a string will make getting those roofing nails (good choice, IMO) out a breeze.
                just a thought.

Comment

You can buy Vapo-rust in a 5 gallon pail from Northern Tool. It costs 80 bucks.

Comment

Relocation of rear turn signals

Hi,

As far as I know, those are the stock pieces for the rear signals and license plate. The blinkers were just moved when the luggage rack was installed. It was like that when I bought it.

In the picture below you see #23 and #24 (left and right) brackets that hold the blinker stalks. There should be a similar place to mount them on your bike.

BassCliff
                    Looks like Cliff's Jessie Blue has a set of Samsonite motorcycle luggage frames mounted to it. Cliff, do you still have the saddlebags and trunk? I bought a set of these for my '79 GS1000E. The relocation of the rear turn signal stalks is necessary due to the size and location of the brackets and saddlebags. The kit came with a new mounting bracket for the rear signal stalks that moved them to either side of the license plate mount position. The original gear was just as in the above diagram, just under the tail piece aft of the seat.

Comment

Working...
                    X