Yet Another GS/GSXR Hybrid Project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
    That's good news & good info for anyone else. How much thinner is it?? Did you get the sprocket spacer that goes between the wheel bearing & sprocket drive? You'll need it or you'll have to machine the old one shorter....

Dan
    AFAICT, it comes complete with the necessary bits. If not, I can go back and get whatever missing bits since the place I bought it from is local.

I don't remember the measurements off-hand, but IIRC there's about a 13--14mm difference between this and the other carrier. I need to measure the thickness of the stock wheel and carrier, and compare it to this combination. I'm hoping that they'll be about the same.

Thanks.

Comment

Hopefully the axles size is the same too or at least the same as the size you finally end up using otherwise you'll have to sleeve the spacer.

If you want to go with the bigger Axle rather than change the bearings you could mess with the slots in the swingarm like I did (to make them the same as stock 1150 axle slots so material thickness is all the same as 1150). You have to remove quite a lot of material though & you've got to keep it flat & even etc.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

This might help you out...

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Front-End Fitted

The front-end is in. I haven't tighten anything up. Just want to see how things fit. Although, if everything works out, this may not be the actual one that's going to go on. But, I'm not ready to share that right now.

I'm going to try to fit the rear wheel a little later. Need to go get some tools first.

Comment

Rear wheel again, though this time with a GS500 sprocket carrier. Needless to say there's a lot more room with the thinner carrier. I haven't replaced the bearings, so I didn't try to align anything up.

The forks have been sent for service/rebuilt.

Comment

The rear wheel again with the right bearings. Note how small the gap is between the wheel and the chain. I guess it's about 2mm or so. Is that too close? I kind of like to keep the 530 chain, but do I need to convert to a 520 and put some spacers behind the sprockets to gain more space?

If I don't have to convert, what other models use a 5-bolt 530 sprocket?

I just use the stock GS calliper, bracket and right-side spacer on the other side. I haven't aligned the wheel, yet, because the forks are still out for service. So, nothing is final at the moment.

Thanks.

Comment

That 2mm gap at the front could change a lot once you get it into alignment. Do that first.

Some chains are wider than others even though they are the same number spec.

I run a 520 on mine.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

That 2mm gap at the front could change a lot once you get it into alignment. Do that first.

Some chains are wider than others even though they are the same number spec.

I run a 520 on mine.
                  +1 you have to alighn the front to rear to have any idea where you are really at on the chain

Comment

Understood. I'll provide another update once I get the forks back from the shop. I'll read up the wheel alignment procedure in the meantime.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Quasimodo View Post
                      Understood. I'll provide another update once I get the forks back from the shop. I'll read up the wheel alignment procedure in the meantime.

Thanks.
                      Different ways to go about it but this works well enough to get within 1-2mm

Comment

Got the forks back and finally have some time to do an initial alignment. After some measurements using the string method, it appears that I need to move the rear tyre to the sprocket side about 3--4mm. (The left gap on the front is 16mm and right gap is 22mm.) Which isn't much except that I've no space on the sprocket side to make the adjustment.

I'm going to see if I can reseat the carrier into the hub more and gain probably another mm or two. If I find a machine shop, may be I can take some material off of the spacer, too. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Comment

Maybe you tried, but will the gs hub work? I used it with the bandit wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                            Maybe you tried, but will the gs hub work? I used it with the bandit wheel.
                            No, the stock hub is a 6-paddle style while the new wheel is a 5-paddle style.

Comment

How does the sprocket line up how you have it now?
                              I wouldn't be too concerned about the tyre being 3 mm off centre if the sprockets line up.

You should be able to steal a couple mm off the inner and outer spacers, I took more than that.
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

How does the sprocket line up how you have it now?
                                I wouldn't be too concerned about the tyre being 3 mm off centre if the sprockets line up.
                                I haven't measured it. I did briefly eyeball it yesterday and they don't seem too far off.

You should be able to steal a couple mm off the inner and outer spacers, I took more than that.
                                You mean mill down the sprocket-side spacer? I'm not sure how much material can be milled off. It's already barely peeking out of the bearing seal as it is. Or, were you referring to something else?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X