No announcement yet.

Yet Another GS/GSXR Hybrid Project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both that spacer & the one that goes between the sprocket hub bearing & the wheel bearing... I stole some space from both.

Looking at your pic you have more spacer on the outside than me. Mine sits about 2mm proud of the seal from memory.

Grinding the outside one will move both tyre & sprocket left (viewed from the back) grinding the inner one will move the sprocket right & or the wheel/tyre left not both. Don't forget you'll need to put additional spacers on the right side to compensate for anything you take off the left & make sure your rotor/caliper alignment is still good.
    Last edited by salty_monk; 06-21-2010, 04:04 PM.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I'm an idiot. The previous measurement was taken before I bolted up the axle.

With it bolted *and* torqued the rear wheel needs to move 4mm to the brake side.

So, I'm going to look for a place locally where I can get an SS spacer made, but is there a place online where I can also have things like this made? Or, a member here perhaps?

Thanks.

Comment

Get two hardened washers from the hardware store.... Works fine.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          Get two hardened washers from the hardware store.... Works fine.
          Thanks for the pointer. Done. Got a couple of hardened 5/8" washers from Ace Hardware and the wheels are aligned. Well, for now, anyhow. I don't think there'll be anything later that will affect it, but I won't be surprised if something does come up.

The good news is that the sprockets appear to be aligned as well. I checked them with a string and their inner edges are practically on the same plane. A possible issue here is that there's only a 5mm gap between that (i.e., the inner edge of the sprockets) and the wheel's outer edge. Not sure if that's enough space for a 520 chain, it doesn't appear to be so for the stock 530 chain.

Comment

Very thinnest 520 chain is 18.6mm across (the one 80GS1000 uses). Mine is about 22mm.

Stock 530 will be about 28mm.

Have you spaced out your front sprocket at all? Most need to space it out at least 6mm. You can buy the spacer from Z1 enterprises but you'll have to get the rear to match up which means finding another sprocket hub to push the sprocket out more or having a spacer for the drive hub you have now to go behind the sprocket (you could get a 2nd /old 520 sprocket & grind the teeth off completely to use it as a spacer, if you get an Aluminium one then it should be quite an easy job & I believe the thickness is 6mm from memory. Guess you might then need longer sprocket bolts).

When you space the front sprocket you will probably need to grind the back of the sprocket nut a bit to provide clearance to the threads & it's unlikely you'll get a tab washer on there so you'll need to use Red loctite.

If you do the sums.... 5mm + 4.5mm (half the 530 sprocket you have fitted) + 6mm =15.5mm. That give you 4-5mm clearance for on a 520 chain if you pick one of the thinner ones. The really flashy RX type ring ones can be as wide as 25-26mm even in a 520. The RK site lists width of chain from memory.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
            X