No announcement yet.

77 GS 750-Cafe/Fighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the support guys. I have completed some more work. Pictures will come soon. I have run into some more problems however. The bike started up a couple times. The first time it started up, ran a few seconds then died. I tried to start it back up and the starter would just click. I already documented that the starter relay was bad, but it turns out that the starter blew up also. When I disassembled the starter it had completely exploded inside itself. So I bought a new starter. Which was ridiculously expensive. I installed it and noticed that the starter was turning but it was not turning the motor over. I determined that it was the starter clutch. Upon disassembling the left side of the motor I noticed that the two bearings inside the clutch were toast. So I ordered some replacement parts off of Bikebandit. The parts came in and I reassembled everything. Went to start the bike and it fired up fine, then there was some screeching of gears and it died. Then the starter would not turn over again. I said some curse words then gave up for the day. I am pretty sure I ruined my new starter. It seemed like the starter clutch did not disengage this time. I did not remove the starter to verify but I am pretty sure its toast.

My question is, do any of you guys have any experience with this issue?

Comment

How did you get the starter clutch off the crank? Did you use a rotor puller?? Have you tried turning the motor over by hand with the bolt on the ignition points side of the crank? Bearings may have been bad but what usually goes bad on the starter clutches is the clutch itself... Id like to see some pics of what you've got going on there.. Those 750 motors are bulletproof, and Ive seem some that I swore would never run again actually come back and run strong.. but I suppose with no prior knowlege of the history of the bike, years and years of neglect... Hrmm..

Comment

It pulled right off. No puller or anything. Ill take some pics in the morning. I have turned it over like you said with a wrench and it turns over smooth. Whoever owned it previously was using the kick starter, because the idler gear was removed between the starter and the starter gear.

Comment

I think I have it figured out. I believe I put too tight of a torque on on the bolt securing the starter clutch. I corrected it to the proper torque spec, and the clutch seems to work properly now. Still didn't pull the starter to see if its fried though.

Comment

The starter was destroyed. I sent it back and the manufacturer sent me a new one. I'm not going to use the new one until I have an expert set of eyes double check my work on the starter clutch.

I am almost done with the tail section also. Just a little more reinforcing of the seat pan and some metal bracing underneath.

My carbs are being rebuilt this saturday so hopefully have an engine that will keep running next week.

Comment

That thing is starting to take shape....keep it up man, when you finally take that thing to the local bike hangout it will all be worth it!

I've always like the lines of the stock E-model tank...I just took some reinforced bondo and molded in the crappy seam. Makes 'em look a lot better...I painted mine with a rattle can too, maybe have $1500 in the whole thing over the years.

I am doing an 1100 swap soon, so that is about to change, but I am emotionally attached. Bringing an old bike back from the grave is a rewarding experience, if you have the time, patience, and some cash.

I was going to make my own tail section, like yours, but I got lazy and used an XR-750 clone I was saving for my RD400 project. Didn't look right on that one, but I thought it looked great on the GS.

I did see a how-to where a guy made a tail section using the blue foam insulation you get at Home-depot, cut, glued and stacked in the rough shape, then fine tuned with various grades of sandpaper. He finished it off with bondo and used it as a plug for a mold.
              Also have seen the same basic foam technique, but covered with fiberglass to form a shell, then the foam removed.

Good luck with your project!

Comment

Thanks man, yeah I was going to use what I have so far as a plug for a mold but it is taking so long I might just remove the foam and finish it off.

I just rebuilt the carbs yesterday and boy do I have a new respect for carburetion.

Comment

Love it, keep going.

I have struggled with a seat design from day one and still do not have it nailed.
                  Like what your thinking with the seat.

Comment

Nice.

Sorry to hear about your starter woes. Glad you worked something out with the manufacturer. Nice looking seat man. How much glass do you have there?

Scott

Comment

I love z33's

Anyways, that rear end is looking good. Great job with the bike.

Comment

Thanks for the comments everyone. I am getting closer to having the tail ready for filler and paint. I just haven't had any time to mess with the bike. I bought another project car so my time has been invested in it, and also I found out how much title recovery was going to be and it has me discouraged. I bought the bike thinking that recovery would only be like a hundred dollars, but now I am finding out its going to be more like three hundred dollars plus. I'm hoping I can devote some time this weekend to the bike though.

I have quite a bit of fiberglass in the tail. My dad was given an industrial role of fiberglass cloth and he passed it off to me. So far I have three layers of cloth on all the surfaces with a backing sheet of thin sheet metal underneath where your butt will be. Its about 3/8" thick all the way around. My biggest thing to do right now is figuring out mounting brackets. I'm thinking of making a metal frame and glassing it under the rear portion of the tail and then using quick release fasteners to secure it to the frame. I have the frame bobbed right now with a piece of flat stock welded between the two frame rails. I'm still undecided though.

Comment

This is a link to what I accomplished over Christmas break. She won't fire up without using starter fluid but once she fires the engine stays running. After running the engine all the little leaks are starting to show. The valve cover gasket is leaking close to the forward cam, so I am going to replace it and I ordered a starter delete plug off of Z1 since I don't believe I am going to be able to use my starter.

I plan on embedding the video once I am not on my work computer.

Comment

Kyle it will run much better with an air box/filter on it. They don't run that well without the airbox. Sounds good though.

Comment

Yeah, I was just trying to see if it would actually run. This is probably the first time its ran in ten years or more. I have pod filters on order and I am currently trying to source a used 4-1 exhaust. Once I find an exhaust I will get the proper jets and what not. I have a friend that works for Rotary Recycle, which is a rotary motorcycle shop in Tennessee, who will help me sync the carbs and get everything tuned.

Comment

So I have received my pod filters and a starter block off plug from Z1 and also a new valve cover gasket and OEM fuel line from BikeBandit. I am going to order carb boot o-rings also. My plan of attack now is to replace the valve cover gasket and adjust the valves.

As soon as I can source an exhaust system I should be able to take it to the shop and get it tuned.

Any one have a used system that they want to get rid of?

I have a question about the starter block off plug also. The plug is made by APE racing. I didnt do much research before hand on buying it. I bought a vented one without realizing there was a choice for a non vented plug. Should I run a hose from the plug to a catch can or would a simple breather filter suffice? Or should I just put a vacuum cap on the end of the plug and clamp it down? The starter is removed due to my issue with the starter clutch not disengaging. I seriously don't think I can run with an electric starter due to the crank surface that the starter clutch rides on being damaged. So I went ahead and bought the plug so I can at least run the bike without oil pouring out of the starter hole.

If any one has used one of these and had any tips I would be greatly appreciative.

Comment

Working...
                                X