No announcement yet.

77 GS 750-Cafe/Fighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New pics. Not too different but things are taking shape.

I now have a headlight, proper gauges, and all the bits to make it run. I put my exhaust on today and I ordered supplies to make SS brake lines also. All I have left now is cosmetics, tires, and rebuilding the brake cylinders.

For some reason the quality of the pics went through pretty crappy. They looked good on photobucket.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-12-2011, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Sorry it took me so long to find your thread but I am glad I found todays post.
      Congrats to you for saving this bike, keep up the good work!

Comment

Oh and these pictures were taken right after I had to pick that 600 pound beast off of myself. The motor didn't feel too good resting on my leg.

Comment

Originally posted by z33kyle View Post
          Oh and these pictures were taken right after I had to pick that 600 pound beast off of myself. The motor didn't feel too good resting on my leg.
          At least you weren't at a major intersection, 3:00 am, drunk as hell, watching the signal light change from red to green hopeing nobody was coming to run you over.... cuz that sucks!
          But hey that was '82, things were different then (right?)

Comment

I'm not sure how I missed this one either.

Keep up the good work!
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Update: 6May2011

I have been busy working but not busy posting. Here is the mock up of my freshly painted swingarm and rear caliper.

All the brake components have been rebuilt. The only piece lacking of the braking system is the rear stainless braided line.

This is how she sits right now in her cluttered corner of the garage. My fiance bought me new tires so I am cleaning the wheels up right now getting ready to take her to a tire shop.

Last month the bike was trailered to my buddy's shop and we put on the new points, and did some troubleshooting. She now starts up on the first kick. We tried to sync the carbs but of course there were intake boot issues.

Two out of four boots were sealed, but after removing all four they were all nasty.

I don't have to tell you which boots are the new ones. As soon as I get my new tires on the bike, it will get trailered back down to my buddy's shop to get the carbs synced.

Tail has changed too. Fiberglassing was alot of trouble. Factory fairing from another '77 model. The tail is just resting on the back. The tail will set a few more inches back and raked up slightly.

Much more to come, school is out for the semester so I will have a lot more free time.

Comment

Like the look you got going on! This is gonna be so stinkin COOL

Comment

i used my original tailpiece, also. it worked out pretty good. The way mine is sitting right now, tank & tail are satin black. I took the flyscreen off, put on a chrome headlight bucket, & installed clip-ons (no new pix yet). I have a build thread going on over in the "appearance" section.
                  Good Luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by huzier View Post
                    i used my original tailpiece, also. it worked out pretty good. The way mine is sitting right now, tank & tail are satin black. I took the flyscreen off, put on a chrome headlight bucket, & installed clip-ons (no new pix yet). I have a build thread going on over in the "appearance" section.
                    Good Luck!!
                    Excellent, I love the way the factory tail piece looks with a lower seat. the other was too much fabrication for me. I will eventually get clip-ons but for right now I will put up with the clubmans.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Comment

Looks great...be interesting to see the rest of the build!

DDM

Comment

I like clubmans... gives 'em an old school charm.

Comment

Its been two long years so I last updated this build. Not much work was done that period. I scrapped the original tail idea, went with a modified factory rear. I changed the bars to a super-bike style and I did a lot of maintenance to the bike overall. However in the last week I gathered the motivation to finally get her on the road. I had to put a new shifter rod in due to the original being bent. The bike's shifter would not return when actuated. So I pulled the rod and oriented the spring on the clutch side of the rod to give it more pressure. Filled her up with oil and gas and took off down the road.

To my surprise she ran great. She still needs a mountain of TLC, bigger jets and a good tune, the chain needs to be tightened, brake light and signals need mounting, chain lubed, R/R fixed, a stator check, but most importantly a title.

The seat looks ghetto as hell, but its surprisingly comfortable.

More updates to come, I have a lot more motivation now that it goes down the street now.

Comment

Working...
                          X