81 gs1000 g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    The L is the "Ladies" model, gay handlebars, uncomfortable seat, tiny tank, fart cans, too much chrome........
    Of course, this is one opinion.....I'm wondering how you know the handlebars are gay...not that there's anything wrong with that.....

*I* on the other hand really like my wonderful "L" !!!!

Looks like a nice bike you have there. Keep us updated.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thanks Larry, Nes and Dog... I did read cliffs page. I was just hoping to hear some thing from the motor before I invested a lot of time and money on it. I played with it some today and managed to get it to pop.. so I guess that will have to do for now. I have the O-rings on order, I just need to get the carb kits these carbs need a rebuild. That should be fun as they look kinda complicated.. Well we will have to see... I will keep the updates coming.. I am still going over Cliffs pages and some of the posts here.. Lots to learn..

.: Scott :.

Comment

[QUOTE=Don-lo;1213716] The original seat looks great too.

QUOTE]

Pretty sure thats a Saddlemen cover. I've installed 3 of them on 850 and 1000G's.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I believe you could be correct. It has a draw string in the back and I am not sure the original one did. Good eye 850 Combat...

Comment

looks like a good project at a good price, good luck and this site is full of all the info you need, its how I got mine going being a complete novice on the mechanic side of a bike.

And as said you can bypass the clutch switch (safety switch?) inside the headlight bucket. Yellow/green wire I think? Just find the two wires coming from the lever into the headlight, unhook them and hook the wires from the harness that were going to them together, cleans up the bars just a little bit too.
            ---Eric

Comment

Thanks, I found the wires. No problem now. However I just need the carb rebuild kit and manifold rings etc.. All in good time, this will be a long project.. One that pays off big in the end.. At least that is my hope..

Comment

Before taking it apart

Its been a while, I have been working allot of hours at work including weekends. Well here is one last picture (after cleaning her up) of how she sits today. I have some vacation time coming up here next week so I hope to be doing some work on it, starting with the carbs. I still have not been able to start her, but I need a T connector for the gas line. However, I need to get moving on this bike. I really want to take it out and get some riding on it.

Well till next week!

Comment

Just to let you know

I built my 1980 GS1000 from boxes of parts and a doner bike. My first time. With a repair manual and a lot of help from this sight. You don't even need a whole lot of tools. When it comes to the carb rebuild all I needed was all the O-rings. I think the Kits from the parts store would be a waste of money. Follow the directions keep things organized. It will not run without the aircleaner on. And no air leaks. Make sure you have a good flow of gas from the tank to the carbs. My bike is very picky about gas and air mixture if its not right it will run bad. I just shimed the carb needles on mine, easy job and it runs great. I made some mistakes . All part of the fun.
                  [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
                  Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the info.. However I bought the kits.. errr.. Oh well I guess it can't hurt. Any tips for the exhausts? The ones that are on there are rusted on the bottom so I want to replace them with a good after market exhaust.

Thanks,
                    Scott..

Comment

Originally posted by zaipai View Post
                      Thanks for the info.. However I bought the kits.. errr.. Oh well I guess it can't hurt. Any tips for the exhausts? The ones that are on there are rusted on the bottom so I want to replace them with a good after market exhaust.

Thanks,
                      Scott..
                      I'm not sure you get all the O-Rings you need in the Rebuild kits. The T's in the fuel tube that feeds the carbs all have O-Rings too. I used old stock exhaust on mine. Painted the pipes black out of the engine and left the back part chrome. The paint came off. Don't know about after market.
                      [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Thanks Mike, I have found 2 after market pipe's but not sure I like them all that much.. Gonna keep looking as any mod's will happen over the winter. Right now I just want to get it started so I know for sure it runs before I start investing money in it. So far every thing shows it should start and run.. So tomorrow I plan to try and start it once more before I take apart the carbs. I really can't wait to get her running and see how she rides..

Happy 4th to all!

Comment

Thanks Larry, Nes and Dog... I did read cliffs page. ...
                          Just one page?
                          Must be, you have only had it for two days.

There is so much to read on BassCliff's site, you can be fully entertained for days, no, weeks.

..., but I need a T connector for the gas line. ...
                          What "T connector"? There is only one that I know of, and they almost never need replacement.

However I bought the kits.. errr.. Oh well I guess it can't hurt. ...
                          On the contrary, YES, THEY CAN HURT.

Too many times, the brass parts in the kits are made of sub-standard quality parts and do not work as well as the stock parts.
                          When you get your o-rings and carb dip, please just clean your stock jets very well and re-use them.
                          Only use the kits as a last resort, and only if the stock jets are totally destroyed.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Carb Woes..

Thanks for the advice Steve, I will use the stock ones if at all possible. I only got the kits to use the gaskets etc.. Not so much for the jets..

I did hook up the T connector today, I needed one because the one that was there was missing when I got the bike, I suspect that it was used for some other bike. Once I had every thing hooked up, gas lines, vacuum lines etc.. I turned on the gas, and nothing.. Well I remember reading the petcock is vacuum activated however there is an over ride setting, so I moved the lever and sure enough gas started to flow. I know it was cause the lines are yellow see thru so I could see the gas flowing. So I hit the starter.. then again.. pulled the choke, it was warm out but I figured maybe it would help and hit the starter again.. Well after a few times of this, gas started flowing out of the air box..?! Is that normal of carbs that need rebuilding? I assume that means I need to crack the carbs open, so I went ahead and using BassCliffs instructions removed the air box and the carbs. They are currently draining the left over gas and later tonight I plan to start taking them apart and cleaning them in the gumout carb cleaner I picked up. Wish me luck..

One other question, I have to check for spark, before I do is there any thing in the headlight bucket that could keep the coils from sparking?? The head light was taken apart and I don't have most of it (see picture below) so I just need to know if I need to look for disconnected wires that would normally go in the headlight bucket. My old Honda has 2 wires in the head light that if disconnected would keep it from starting. So I figure better safe then sorry.

Oh.. The very top of the motor, is very yellow, seems I did not escape that. Any tips for getting rid of the tarnish? Off to scourer the forums to look for some answers.

BTW: Holy cow, Basscliff's site is an amazing book of knowledge.. Dang.. Its going to take me a long time to go thru it all.. Thank goodness he did that.. Its a tremendous help and it could not have been that easy for him to put all that together!

Thanks!

Scott..
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2010, 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Carb Day

Well I took the carbs off. They came off super easy, now I know why. The PO must have taken them off at one point, and when the PO put them back on the PO must have not tightened them back up all the way. There was red goop all over the front of the carbs, and the boots that have the O rings were rusted and corroded so I bet they were not on very tight. I am not sure.. However look at the image, the insides of the carbs are very clean, the picture below is seconds after I took them off.

More later..

Scott..

Comment

Red stuff?

Well I took the carbs off. They came off super easy, now I know why. The PO must have taken them off at one point, and when the PO put them back on the PO must have not tightened them back up all the way. There was red goop all over the front of the carbs, and the boots that have the O rings were rusted and corroded so I bet they were not on very tight. I am not sure.. However look at the image, the insides of the carbs are very clean, the picture below is seconds after I took them off.

More later..

Scott..
                                I wonder what the red stuff is. Could it be that red gasket goop from a tube.
                                [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Working...
                                X