No announcement yet.

81 GS550T in Co Sprgs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the petcock is back in the tank (I'll finish sanding the tank and side covers later) and I'll start it up tonight after work. I'm ready to ride and need some seat time before Brown County.

I'll still have to paint the exhaust pipes and change out the springs and shocks.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      Ahhh, thanks Steve. I'll check that out tomorrow; only because I have to finish some schoolwork tonight. Course, I could let you answer the questions about SQL databases, right?

Okay, I couldn't wait. I have power inside at the base of the socket but I'm unsure what you mean by outer part of the socket. Is that all the way outside of the housing or still with the lens cap off and inside where the bulb goes.

Sorry, I could actually use a picture of this if someone can show me. Thanks.
      I'm too lazy to take a picture, but, the outer part of the socket is the part that holds the light bulb in place. The inner part is where the base makes contact. The outer part is ground, the inner is hot when the signal is activated. If there isn't a seperate ground wire and it's depending on the frame for grounding, it may just not have a good enough ground to complete the flasher circuit.

Comment

Put the tank back on, started it up, and gosh darn the petcock was leaking out of the bolts. I am trying to find the washers but if not I sure hope the local parts house has some replacements.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Painted

Well, for my first painting job the bike hasn't turned out too bad. I still have some work to do to it but I wanted to start riding again so I'll do some more fixing later on. But I thought I'd post a picture of it right now so everyone can see what I wanted to do.

I'm going to air up the tires tomorrow and try to get out this weekend for a ride before riding into work next week. I have a couple of spots I need to touch up, a stator cover and fenders to paint, and I'm still wanting to paint the pipes. I also will replace the shocks and springs when money frees up.

Take care.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Nice lookin bike, but your back tire is leaking oil!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

LOL. Nope, that was an oil leak from when I drained the oil last year and just never cleaned it up. I get on the kids so much about doing half-ass jobs and then I go and screw it up.

I forgot to mention that I figured out (with help of course) why my front left turn signal is not working. It seems a ground is missing so I will fix that this weekend.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I only had 2 beers? What's the matter?

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                I think I need some new glasses.
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Pinhole camera?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yea, sorry for the shakiness...was the cell phone and not the new camera. I'll get a better picture this weekend.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

So after grounding the front turn signals and replacing the rear master cylinder reservoir today, I tried to go for a short ride out to the base so I could do some practicing in a parking lot. Although the ride was good, I encountered an issue shifting into second gear from first (almost like I had to double-clutch it) and it bogged down on an uphill a few times. I'm already going to test a theory given to me earlier to see if I have a vacuum issue (changed the type of vacuum line used) with the petcock tomorrow if the weather will hold off a bit. Otherwise, I'll ride the bike into work on Monday and test it then.

I'm glad to be back on the road but wish everything could have worked seamlessly.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

You got to ride yours.I'm waiting for paint to dry

Comment

I'm glad to be back on the road but wish everything could have worked seamlessly.
                          Good one Scott, I am seriously happy for you.
                          Well, they never go seamlessly, do they, there is always something that needs a tweak here and a fiddle with there, but no mind, I have no doubt you will get it sorted soon enough.
                          Time to change your signature pic now, don't you think?
                          Right, I am off to the garage, it's me and the wire wheel and Jennifer's frame, have to finish striping it down this weekend, or yours will be under going it's second rebuild before mine sees the light of day.
                          Of course with summer on the way there, and the gas bill that is going to shrink somewhat now, a few extra pennies is always welcome, don't you just love it when things start to come together.

Comment

Nice one Scott! On the road again

I'm sure those couple of issues will be minor things you'll get sorted in no time...
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks Flyboy and you are right about the picture. I just need to go outside when it's not snowing (we have a dusting on the ground this morning) and take a better one.

What is going on with yours?

Pete, how's yours coming along? I've been reading and the electrical got me a little confused but it sounds like you are about done yourself right?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Mate I got the big ticket items to do yet, exhaust, suspenders, tyres, paint etc. and am suffering budget cuts this pay.

The ignition is still unproven also but I'll wait for the exhaust before trying that again.

Still, I'm much closer than I was this time last year
                                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                                X